Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Fecking markups

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    their has been some big shops close in the states as well, some that have been around 30 years,

as well as big websites, its a tough industry everywhere in the world at the moment,

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    If memory serves correct, your Hornet has the same disk as a VTR250, VT250 Spada, CBR250R MC19 and I think CB250 Jade.
    They're all cheap on eBay and readily available.

Of course there is mark up in NZ, you start a shop and beat the prices and I'll buy from you.

Yeah as far as I know they are all the same , the problem is tho is that the people in the states that have them dont ship here

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Try these guys. vicwreck@iinet.net.au Had good luck with them in the past re discs.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    DKW
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    You are beating your head against a brick wall here! Someone sometime will start a new thread on the same theme and make the automatic assumption that markups are huge, which in most cases they are not. By and large the cold hard reality is that the cost of running a business in NZ is disproportionately high. The current exchange rate ( particularly against greenbacks ) and lack of interception and gst charges on a lot of private imports ( of even high value ) further exposes NZ businesses and therefore the people they employ.
    What a load of bollocks.
    The import of high quality suspension components for motorcycles that would cost about one sixth of the retail cost to make, that depreciate by up to half as soon as they are out of the packet, and that produce no outputs in terms of productivity are no more value to the NZ economy than a 60 inch lcd TV.
    It is exports and increased productivity in those exports that spins the NZ economies wheels, and provides the jobs.
    If the collection of all GSt on privately imported goods is your competition, you are fucked, as if GST was paid on all goods, they would be still far cheaper.

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by bikaholic View Post
    What a load of bollocks.
    The import of high quality suspension components for motorcycles that would cost about one sixth of the retail cost to make, that depreciate by up to half as soon as they are out of the packet, and that produce no outputs in terms of productivity are no more value to the NZ economy than a 60 inch lcd TV.
    It is exports and increased productivity in those exports that spins the NZ economies wheels, and provides the jobs.
    If the collection of all GSt on privately imported goods is your competition, you are fucked, as if GST was paid on all goods, they would be still far cheaper.
    For a good example of what you are talking about, the Wharehouse started importing from China and drove NZ manufacturers out of business with clothing as they could land shorts here for 50c and sell them for up to $20.00. The best the NZ manufacturer could do was $1.50. This is what stuffs NZ companies.

Manufacturing costs are only part of the process and high quality stuff costs to make and distribute. Everything you buy is the end of a process of design, manufacture and distribute with every step costing something. Every person involved needs to earn a living, from the tea lady to the manager of the plant, the freight company and the retail outlet involved in getting your final product to you.

The world scene is changing as the world truly becomes a global village and it is easy to go online and order from anywhere in the world whatever you want. But if you want local backup and support you have to pay the local people, otherwise they go bust and you have nobody to complain to or go to for local knowledge and advice and warranty support.

If we could live as cheaply here as the Chinese do in China, we could compete. How low do you want your standard of living to go to facilitate this? It's a tough situation and NZ is as vulnerable as anywhere to the stresses of competition and the GWC. Aussie is doing badly apart from their mineral trade and is worse off than we are at the moment.
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    DKW
    well another example could be dairy owners and vending machine operators buying goods from the supermarket at you amd I prices because it is cheaper than their wholesalers that they are meant to deal with, and purchasing parallel imports of their own branded goods.

Would tariffs being taken off colthing etc be a very good indicator to get out of that line of manufacture and head towards more intelligent productive lines that are less competitive?

Edit: I would have thought the addidas shirt fiasco, differential pricing in different countries would have not been forgotten about so soon, so much in marketing eh

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay GTI View Post
    It's their summer holiday, if you actually left this small island once in a while, you'd know that Spain, Italy and a few other Eurpean countries in that area are so oppresively hot during their peak summer months, they just go on holiday instead.
    Coming from a place that is hotter and where the community never felt the need to stop doing anything, I find comments like the above highly amusing!
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Ok cool. If that's an issue, go to a factory anywhere in NZ right now and ask them to fill a large order before the end of Jan (oooo before Xmas would be better). Good luck.
    Irrelevant. Our economy isn't so tanked that it's going to make the Euro implode.

It's their summer holiday, if you actually left this small island once in a while, you'd know that Spain, Italy and a few other Eurpean countries in that area are so oppresively hot during their peak summer months, they just go on holiday instead.
    What a load of shite, there are hotter places that don't do this, the wops are just lazy.

Bike
    1970 Vespa ss90
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Irrelevant. Our economy isn't so tanked that it's going to make the Euro implode.

What a load of shite, there are hotter places that don't do this, the wops are just lazy.
    Pretty naive statements really.

While it is true that in SOME parts of Spain and Italy, it really is actually too hot to work, (and too hot to shop actually) the main result of these hot Summer temperatures is simply to have a 2 hour lunch (possibly during which have a sleep), then work until say 7 or 8 PM. (not hard and fast rules, but more than common)

The primary reason for these extended breaks is actually religion...... There are so many Saint the Catholic faith, that there enough "Saint someone" to have 40 days off a year (plus secular holidays), and, to keep the public happy, even though the governments are secular, they combine many if these "Saints days" in one month (and in the case of Spain, some (most) combine the 3 day reunification day into a 5th week off, right at the end of summer.

Kiwis, and Aussies are in the minority with our "work ourselves to death" attitude.

NZ's economy is not much better than Spains (NZ does now have %15 GST remember, only 3% behind Spain (and the rest of the EU)

Its only a matter if time.......

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by SS90 View Post
    While it is true that in SOME parts of Spain and Italy, it really is actually too hot to work, (and too hot to shop actually) the main result of these hot Summer temperatures is simply to have a 2 hour lunch (possibly during which have a sleep), then work until say 7 or 8 PM. (not hard and fast rules, but more than common)
    These are bike parts, not veges in a field. They should get some aircon.

Quote Originally Posted by SS90 View Post
    The primary reason for these extended breaks is actually religion...... There are so many Saint the Catholic faith, that there enough "Saint someone" to have 40 days off a year (plus secular holidays), and, to keep the public happy, even though the governments are secular, they combine many if these "Saints days" in one month (and in the case of Spain, some (most) combine the 3 day reunification day into a 5th week off, right at the end of summer.
    If that's true, then that doesn't make them deserve it any less.

Bike
    Daytona 675
    My local dealer is at the mercy of the importer.
    The importer won’t have the parts for 3 weeks.
    The local dealer’s price for my 3 week away part is a little under $160NZD and that is the RRP set by the importer.

I drop an email to an overseas dealer.
    They are also at the mercy of the prices set by their importer one would assume.
    One week later I have my part, $56NZD total.
    I now go to them first, no shopping around.

Ok, I know that not all parts are going to be in stock all the time.
    But it seams that every time I call I will have to wait for 40-70 percent of the parts.
    And at three times the price?

I buy tyres off my local same with gear/helmets/batteries etc but for OEM parts I can’t afford and I don’t have the time to go local.
    No bike for three weeks?
    Three weeks?
    Train fare alone would be another $200!
    And there are so many things not available in NZ where I have no option but to ether go without or buy online.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    My local dealer is at the mercy of the importer.
    The importer won’t have the parts for 3 weeks.
    The local dealer’s price for my 3 week away part is a little under $160NZD and that is the RRP set by the importer.

I drop an email to an overseas dealer.
    They are also at the mercy of the prices set by their importer one would assume.
    One week later I have my part, $56NZD total.
    I now go to them first, no shopping around.

Ok, I know that not all parts are going to be in stock all the time.
    But it seams that every time I call I will have to wait for 40-70 percent of the parts.
    And at three times the price?

I buy tyres off my local same with gear/helmets/batteries etc but for OEM parts I can’t afford and I don’t have the time to go local.
    No bike for three weeks?
    Three weeks?
    Train fare alone would be another $200!
    And there are so many things not available in NZ where I have no option but to ether go without or buy online.
    The importer is setting the price that the dealer sells it to you for?

I don't think so.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post

I don't think so.
    most of the parts supplied from NZ distributors will have a RRP price set by the distributors,

Bike
    1970 Vespa ss90
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    These are bike parts, not veges in a field. They should get some aircon.

If that's true, then that doesn't make them deserve it any less.
    This is the point about different cultures. If you can only relate life to your own experiences living on a small Island, then you are unable to see why "Things are the way they are"

The majority of the rest of the world realise that they can't just have "things now", for little more than the orice of a cup of coffee.

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post

I don't think so.
    As the importer, I advise the NZ RRP and recommend that the RRP should be adhered to for individual sales as I believe it is fair. I leave it up the my dealers, though, as it is their business and they know their own market as to whether they discount or not.

I'd be unhappy to see competitive discounting between dealers as this would cheapen the brand. In order to alleviate this, when I sign a dealer I ask them what their market is and assure them I will not sign a dealer in their area that would be in direct competition with them.
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Thread Information