Thread: Paint rocker cover and alternator?

Bike
    XJR1200 here & GSX1400 back in Ireland

Paint rocker cover and alternator?

My XJR1200's rocker cover is pretty tatty and I've decided to give it a shot of high temp silver. Tim up in Whangaparaoa had the rocker cover off to do the clearances a month ago and I presume re-used the original gasket as he didn't mention having to replace it. I don't know if it's safe to re-use again or not? If it's safe to re-use, do I need any special sealants?

I'm not highly mechanical and I don't have access to anything but basic hand tools at the moment. the job isn't too much of an ordeal, right? Is it a question of removing the tank, unbolting the cover, paint and replace? Does it have to be torqued up properly?

I know the last time I painted my downpipes, I had to heat them up to half way, cool them down and heat them up fully. Is this always the case? I'm afraid of painting the whole thing up refitting everything only to have to re-do the job for some reason.

Ditto the alternator. Is it a question of just bolting it off, mask, paint and replace or are their potential issues I could run into as a novice?

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    a very light smear of Yamaha gasket maker will seal the rocker box when you put it back on,
    If the original gasket is still there and intact.
    as for how tight, I only ever just nip the rocker box bolts, but I also use Yamaha anti rattle on the threads.
    As for painting?
    Use VHT high temp engine paint, make sire you get the rocker box spotlessly clean before you paint it
    The same with the alternator cover, clean , mask up, paint, refit.
    neither jobs you intend doing are very difficult. just take your time, and be meticulously clean

If you check out my profile for my black bike, that was done with VHT high gloss engine enamel
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    XJR1200 here & GSX1400 back in Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post
    If you check out my profile for my black bike, that was done with VHT high gloss engine enamel
    Wow. Nice bikes. Thanks for the tips. I'll have to locate my local dealer and get the seal. What do you mean anti-rattle? Like Loctite?

Thread Information