Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zero Motorcycles introduces models with 100 mile ‘tank’ range

Bike
    2008 V-Strom 1000
    So what on road costs (rego) would one of these cost a year?

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf_nz View Post
    So what on road costs (rego) would one of these cost a year?
    a very good point
    how would they rate the ACC content on an electric bike, by hp?
    That could open a very bit can of worms,
    are they the same as a 250?, a 400?o or a 601cc+.....what??
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F
    Over here in the UK, as far as I know purely electric vehicles (cars and bikes) are exempt from Vehicle Excise Duty (think of it as road tax).

I know someone with a hybrid car and that is also exempt, because it falls below X% of CO2 emissions.

Of course, we don't have any form of government-organised insurance over here (we have to pay for our own, even if it is Third-Party_Only), so that does lead to your needing some way of rating the vehicle. Can't be done on top speed, so wonder if there is a comparison ratio, based on energy generated or something?
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    You cannot make energy, you can only convert it to another form at a loss is how I understand it.

How will he gummint collect road tax when vehicles become electric? Will road tax be relevant?
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    How will he gummint collect road tax when vehicles become electric? Will road tax be relevant?
    Roaduser charges, same as a diesel
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Repsol something or other
    Kudos to Katman for being brave enough to ask the dumb questions

I saw one of these or something similiar outside cycletreads.

Looks alright, no gears or clutch, and about the same size as a 150cc.

You'd just have to be aware you make almost no noise, so cars will try that little bit harder to kill you.

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    when i was in the states a couple of months ago, a little bike shop was sell electric bikes for around 7kUS.. they looked like they would be great for around town...
    oh and heated gloves.. they were selling heated gloves

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    Kawasaki Z750
    It'll be interesting to see where electric powered bikes and cars go within the next 20 or more years.

Since it's all electric, wouldn't a soundboard be an option when the bike is running and play different sounds through speakers for different actions?
    -- i.e. wide open throttle could be the rumble of a wide open Duc, as well as a loud guitar solo and some yelling of profanity... I only hope cagers would notice us at this stage.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Electric vehicles have been feasible for years.

The issue has never been the wonderful power of the electric engine.

The problem is (1) how we store the energy, and (2) Where do we get it from in the first place.

The Chevy Volt has a battery energy capacity of 50MJ, and it weighs about 175 kg, and you have to find more than 50MJ of energy to charge it up before you can use it.

A litre of petrol has about 46MJ of energy, it weighs less than 1 kg, and its a primary energy source.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    07 kx250f

Bike
    2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Both the Zero and Brammo models are getting improved performance and longer running per charge. Also prices are dropping when compared to performance. At the current (no pun intended) rate of improvement I'll be looking at an electric commuter in about 18 months. Probably winter 2013. I need something that can at least keep up with traffic, so 100 kmh+, and at least 42 km per charge at sustained highway speeds.
    Did you go ahead with this?
    Update : The current Zero S is good for about 102mph (about 160kph) and a CLAIMED range of about 180 miles (about 280 kms) for gentle city/town commuting. Not bad even if it is optimistic!
    To get this sort of range you have to go for the extended battery pack (14kWh? is that right?). Which is +another couple of grand. I was also looking at the mobile power pack option - gives you a 90% recharge in like 20 minutes or something.
    But I'm looking at the flagship model here, and then when you add the above accessories it's like 21k USD...and then you have to ship it here. And pay tax/customs duties and licence it... Not much change from $35k NZD probably!

We really need an official importer of these machines to bring shipping, tax, licencing, ORC down. I'm sure that in the three main centres (Chch, Welly / Hutt Valley / Kapiti Coast, Jafa Land & North Shore) there is a market for these machines as workday city commuters.

Thread Information