Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zero Motorcycles introduces models with 100 mile ‘tank’ range

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F

Zero Motorcycles introduces models with 100 mile ‘tank’ range

Zero motorcycles has unveiled a new range of motorcycles that will run for ‘more than 100 miles (160km) of range’ on a single charge. New battery technology has allowed for the increased "tank" range – comparable with a number of existing petrol machines – that will also allow for up to 3,000 complete charge cycles before degradation (estimated at 80% capacity).

The range includes the Zero S - a streetfighter-styled bike capable of an 88mph top speed, the Zero DS – a “dual sport” bike that can achive 80mph and the Zero XU – a bike for inner-city riding that also includes regenerative braking technology.
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    How long does it take to fill the 'tank' again though?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    And I'll go out on a the dummy limb here........

If a petrol engine can generate a current to recharge a battery why can't an electric engine do the same thing?

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    And I'll go out on a the dummy limb here........

If a petrol engine can generate a current to recharge a battery why can't an electric engine do the same thing?
    How much power does your starter motor generate while it turns the alternator? You will probably find its less than a 1/10 of the energy you put into the starter to begin with.

Most energy is transfered into heat and sound through the mechanical system.

Regenerative braking reclaims energy from the mechanical system. But only works when the bike is first moving.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    But once the electric motor is running why couldn't a separate rotor and stator recharge the battery in the same way as on a petrol engine?

What if it charged a second battery that took over the powering of the motor once the other battery became too discharged - and that battery then became the one being recharged?

(Or am I just showing my total lack of understanding of electric motors?)

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    But once the electric motor is running why couldn't a separate rotor and stator recharge the battery in the same way as on a petrol engine?

What if it charged a second battery that took over the powering of the motor once the other battery became too discharged - and that battery then became the one being recharged?

Using electrical energy to power a device to store electrical energy, would result in a net loss of energy to friction (heat/noise) etc.
    Ciao Marco

Bike
    Bikes!

Worse, a total lack of understanding of basic physics. Your idea would work great if the entire world was down hill

Bike
    Kate
    how long does it take to recharge the batteries?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Now I realise there's more chance of me winning a Nobel Prize for Diplomacy than one for my contributions to Electrical Sciences but........

If a battery spins an electric motor and on the end of the motor's shaft is a conventional rotor/stator charging arrangement, would it not produce current?

Is it perhaps that the current required to turn the motor far exceeds the output capability of the charging system?

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Is it perhaps that the current required to turn the motor far exceeds the output capability of the charging system?
    Yes. Free energy is a motherfucker to find.

Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    how long does it take to recharge the batteries?
    Zero S is 2 and a half hours. Good commuter option if you live within 100km of work.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Yes. Free energy is a motherfucker to find.
    Ah, starting to see the light.

So the voltage produced by the motor would need to be equal to the voltage required to spin the motor - equaling nothing left to move the vehicle along?

Fuck that - give me the smell of petrol any day.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Ah, starting to see the light.

So the voltage produced by the motor would need to be equal to the voltage required to spin the motor - equally nothing left to move the vehicle along?

Fuck that - give me the smell of petrol any day.
    Actually your getting warmer.
    Its power = power. Ironically petrol runs on the same principle. If we "topped up our batteries" rather than simply recharge them electrical vehicles would be very similar to petrol ones.

Think of it like remote control cars, some you need to put petrol in, some you need to put batteries in..
    Petrol = power. Batteries = power. But its very hard to transfer electrical power into petrol power.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Both the Zero and Brammo models are getting improved performance and longer running per charge. Also prices are dropping when compared to performance. At the current (no pun intended) rate of improvement I'll be looking at an electric commuter in about 18 months. Probably winter 2013. I need something that can at least keep up with traffic, so 100 kmh+, and at least 42 km per charge at sustained highway speeds.
    Time to ride

Bike
    F3, DRZ400, RVF400, 250 XC-F
    Newtonian physics fail.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Every day's a school day.

Thread Information