Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about The Grand Challenge, what bike?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    When I first had the lights fitted I was running 4 light switches controlling lights, which was bloody nuts. I still have the same switches but more for turning them on and off, but a relay is fitted, so when flicking the high switch, it goes from low (HID low and 2 big spots on low) to high (HID low, +90% bulb high, 2 big spots on high and 2 smaller spots). One switch controls the switch, much easier and safer all round when dealing with oncoming vehicles.
    The bikes im looking at all seem to have rectangular headlights, was kinda thinking of fitting dual round lights in there. Maybe one HID and one normal.

Ive seen a couple with a spot light hung under the fairing so could look at that to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    My guess is neutral sensor, wire is off and when you earth it the light stays on.

No offer yet, checked the finance deal I was offered and again the intrest rate is huge. Stupid thing is I want to pay it off by May next year but they charge big pay off fees.

Will see what I can work out next week.

Somebody on the auction is saying carjam says the bikes done 200+ks, ive read the report. Im happy with the ks.
    I could live with no neutral light ... Dont panic yet ... other XJ's may show up, they often do. It wont be the end of the world if you dont get THIS one.

With bikes of this age ... km's aren't really that important (unless they are LOW. Not the case with this one)
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I could live with no neutral light ... Dont panic yet ... other XJ's may show up, they often do. It wont be the end of the world if you dont get THIS one.

With bikes of this age ... km's aren't really that important (unless they are LOW. Not the case with this one)
    Not in super hurry. Was more going to see if I liked the size but I do think its a strong honest bike that would be a great rolling resto. And I think it would be easy to mod to my needs.

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    The bikes im looking at all seem to have rectangular headlights, was kinda thinking of fitting dual round lights in there. Maybe one HID and one normal.

Ive seen a couple with a spot light hung under the fairing so could look at that to.
    If you have different globes for high beam and low beam...then a perminantly on low beam HID is a great easy option...

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500

I changed the single large square headlamp of my XS11 for a pair of 75mm round lights, they were a bolt on change.
    I have them wired up so that low beam is the left hand lamp, High beam is both lamps. But....

The std Yamaha wiring is not up to the amperage draw for running two 100w high beam bulbs, and Yamaha also have a relay that trips the high beam to low beam if the high beam filament fails.
    To enable the usage of twin 100w high beam lamps, I have removed the low beam relay and wired in two 30amp relays for the headlamps.
    These have their own main fuse to the battery as the std wiring and main fuse is not strong enough to carry the power for two lamps continuously on high beam.
    This was not a difficult job, or an expensive one, under $50 spent on parts, and about 2 hrs fitting.
    I looked at fitting a HID lamp to the right side, but have found two 100w ordinary lamps more the suffice for night riding.
    Another point to be aware of when fitting extra lamps to any bike, is what capacity the alternator has.
    Most put out around 10amps more than the bike needs to run, remember higher output alternators require HP to drive them.
    Fitting more lamps can put a drain on the alternator that forces it to work at max for much longer than it was designed to do from new.
    More lights might mean better visibility, but can also reduce reliability by the same amount,
    If you are doing this for lighting on the 1000k ride, be sure your system can cope with 8 hours continuous amperage drain at max output.
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post
    I changed the single large square headlamp of my XS11 for a pair of 75mm round lights, they were a bolt on change.
    I have them wired up so that low beam is the left hand lamp, High beam is both lamps. But....

The std Yamaha wiring is not up to the amperage draw for running two 100w high beam bulbs, and Yamaha also have a relay that trips the high beam to low beam if the high beam filament fails.
    To enable the usage of twin 100w high beam lamps, I have removed the low beam relay and wired in two 30amp relays for the headlamps.
    These have their own main fuse to the battery as the std wiring and main fuse is not strong enough to carry the power for two lamps continuously on high beam.
    This was not a difficult job, or an expensive one, under $50 spent on parts, and about 2 hrs fitting.
    I looked at fitting a HID lamp to the right side, but have found two 100w ordinary lamps more the suffice for night riding.
    Another point to be aware of when fitting extra lamps to any bike, is what capacity the alternator has.
    Most put out around 10amps more than the bike needs to run, remember higher output alternators require HP to drive them.
    Fitting more lamps can put a drain on the alternator that forces it to work at max for much longer than it was designed to do from new.
    More lights might mean better visibility, but can also reduce reliability by the same amount,
    If you are doing this for lighting on the 1000k ride, be sure your system can cope with 8 hours continuous amperage drain at max output.
    They have an external alternator? Could this be rewound?

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    They have an external alternator? Could this be rewound?

Sorry internal alternator, can be rewound, but finding someone to do it would be a mission.

remember modern electronics is replacement not repair

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

remember modern electronics is replacement not repair
    Since when is 85 modern? LOL

Think there is a guy in Beachlands that does motorcycle rewinds.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The XJ750 I did the 1000 MILER on had a 40 watt bulb. So I followed a CX500 Turbo for a large part of the evening ... I was going wherever HE was going ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Since when is 85 modern? LOL

Think there is a guy in Beachlands that does motorcycle rewinds.
    Talk with an auto sparky first ... a bulb with a wattage increase will help.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Talk with an auto sparky first ... a bulb with a wattage increase will help.
    Or I could get this, http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-421079666.htm

I would think the electrics would have been up to the job?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    First things first. Get the money together ... without taking out a loan if possible. The GC is 11 months away. Set yourself a target of say July to get a bike that is suitable to do it on. A 600-650 would be quite capable as well. And (usually) cheaper to run.

This one ... ??? Possibly a side-stand cut-out switch issue ... ???

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-427194822.htm

Might be worth asking a few questions about this one ...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-426392545.htm

And these are also worth a look ...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-426912897.htm

But probably ... the XJ you were looking at would most likely be the easier to get.

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    Or I could get this, http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-421079666.htm

I would think the electrics would have been up to the job?

that would be a good bike, well serviced for the first years of its life.
    electrics would have been boosted for police work.
    And it has plenty of luggage space,
    and another trusty shafty

those ones FJ listed, would be ok if you wanted spares,
    you don't want to buy a non running non reg fixer upper,
    More trouble than they are worth
    They are not on the road for a reason.....

Bike
    BSA A10
    First things first. Get the money together ... without taking out a loan if possible. The GC is 11 months away. Set yourself a target of say July to get a bike that is suitable to do it on. A 600-650 would be quite capable as well. And (usually) cheaper to run.

This one ... ??? Possibly a side-stand cut-out switch issue ... ???

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-427194822.htm

But probably ... the XJ you were looking at would most likely be the easier to get.
    Piss off you bastard I'm already bidding on it, plates are dead so there would be a cost to re rego it but it would be a good choice if the price doesn't get to high

The second year i did the GC a NSR80 finished it
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    that would be a good bike, well serviced for the first years of its life.
    And usually thrashed for the last years ...

They are not on the road for a reason.....
    And usually because the owner doesn't know whats wrong with it, and can't afford to pay somebody to fix it .... Or find out what the problem is. With a workshop manual and the VAST wealth of knowledge here on KB ... NO worries there ...eh .... !!!

The Kawasaki GT750 is probably the BETTER buy ... a reliable shaftie, but in Napier...

Seriously ... ask a few questions about it ...

Thread Information