Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoppy tyre pressures?

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenMistake View Post
    yeah according to the manual,
    in saying that its for the factory tyres, been a Korean bike its probably the rubber liner they use the Nuke tubes...
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    i thought it was fuckin low too. but im talking about these pressures with some soft sticky tyres. I guess bog stock factory tyres are probably made of concrete
    Probably IRC Nylon-tastic shitters They'll have to be hard under all that weight
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Something red and quick
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    3.) Keeping weight forward, jam on front brake as hard as you can.
    Seriously???
    Elite Fight Club - Proudly promoting common sense and safe riding since 2024
    http://1199s.wordpress.com

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmoot View Post
    Seriously???
    No, not seriously.

That method will lock up the front wheel.

Pressures depend on what tyres your using. 30psi is too high no matter what your running on, and the rear pressure is not relevant. YES, I said not relevant, on a flat road you could have it at 10psi and the rim wont hit the ground on landing.

I used to run about 22-25psi when I had my stunt bike and found it to be good.

As for the bike, nothing wrong with it for doing stoppies. A mate got his head round stoppies on the same bike.

That all said, stoppies are far more likely to go tits up than other activities! And when that shit goes wrong, it fuckin hurts...Trust me.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    i thought it was fuckin low too. but im talking about these pressures with some soft sticky tyres. I guess bog stock factory tyres are probably made of concrete
    Define 'soft sticky rubber' for me please. On supercorsa's I run 25psi rear, and 28-30 froint on the road.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by hayd3n View Post
    also find a half made bridge,
    race to the end and slam the front brakes as hard as you can
    i suggest to do this on a bridge going over water!
    Do you remember a thread on here a couple of years ago where someone (idiot) was doing this sort of stuff in front a concrete wall?
    I think he ended up broken.

Bike
    BMW
    Stoppies are much more impressive then wheelstands but they have to be fast rolling stoppies, none of this stop sign stuff....

Make sure your tyre is hot and there is a good gripy surface

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Define 'soft sticky rubber' for me please. On supercorsa's I run 25psi rear, and 28-30 froint on the road.
    Fuuuck.
    Maybe it's my heavy pig bike, but it was shifting around like mad and skidding up with anything near the 30psi mark, with the rear at 36 it's rock solid and feels uber nice.
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    as in not shit like Kenda. if he has his brakes in good nick and runs crap tyres, its going to be more likely to end in an avoidable bin. I dont see the need to go as far as a supercorsa for stoppies.
    my point was that he will want to lower pressures from stock (was thinking that was a bit lower than the man. recs. for stock on my bike) as a slightly lower pressure will flatten off giving a) a bit more grip and b) a slightly more stable flat area to aid with balance.

Plenty of poeple who are stoppie kings wont bother with half it, but he is asking to learn, may as well make it as easy as possible

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    crack up reading through the advice from people who have tried and failed to people who have done it.

I might just stick to trying wheelstands for now, starting slow, not long wheelstands. My speedway bike has no brakes so I've done plenty of wheelstands before but never stoppies (just on push bikes but that doesn't count).

The Hyosung has twin disc front brakes so I thought (ignorant as I now seem) that they would be good enough, the tyres are plenty sticky enough after a windy ride, will look into top quality pads and braided lines.

People may mock the korean bikes but they aren't all that bad. alot better than the chinese disasters, mines done over 30,000kms and still runs mint with plenty of power for a 250, and the v-twin has great power through out the entire rev range (unlike the parallel twins that have no power til they start screaming). Biggest bonus of it being korean and cheap is I can learn stunting tricks and not really care too much if it gets totalled, not like it's a valuable bike or anything haha. just my screw around and get my licence on bike, then hello GSXR750 =)

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    People may mock the korean bikes but they aren't all that bad. alot better than the chinese disasters, mines done over 30,000kms and still runs mint with plenty of power for a 250, and the v-twin has great power through out the entire rev range (unlike the parallel twins that have no power til they start screaming). Biggest bonus of it being korean and cheap is I can learn stunting tricks and not really care too much if it gets totalled, not like it's a valuable bike or anything haha. just my screw around and get my licence on bike, then hello GSXR750 =)
    The late 80's GPX250R with the twin front disc will bum a Hyosung.
    They're a good commuter and learner bike, they're in no way fast, not even for a 250.
    In saying that (now that I've been a cunt) they are a good bike and I recommend them to taller people.

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    crack up reading through the advice from people who have tried and failed to people who have done it.

I might just stick to trying wheelstands for now, starting slow, not long wheelstands. My speedway bike has no brakes so I've done plenty of wheelstands before but never stoppies (just on push bikes but that doesn't count).

The Hyosung has twin disc front brakes so I thought (ignorant as I now seem) that they would be good enough, the tyres are plenty sticky enough after a windy ride, will look into top quality pads and braided lines.

More power to ya man, have fun.

Bike
    600RR
    plenty of other forums and youtube clips on the net about stoppies much more helpful than here,
    I would say practice on push bikes down hill alot first
    and alway do some hard braking on the front tyre before trying to do a stoppie to get heat into the tyre first.
    you dont need to modify your bike at all
    just get heat in the front b4 trying an all out stoppie

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    as in not shit like Kenda. if he has his brakes in good nick and runs crap tyres, its going to be more likely to end in an avoidable bin. I dont see the need to go as far as a supercorsa for stoppies.
    my point was that he will want to lower pressures from stock (was thinking that was a bit lower than the man. recs. for stock on my bike) as a slightly lower pressure will flatten off giving a) a bit more grip and b) a slightly more stable flat area to aid with balance.

Plenty of poeple who are stoppie kings wont bother with half it, but he is asking to learn, may as well make it as easy as possible
    ya full of it dude...I used to do rolling stoppies on dirt bike on wet grass/dirt/gravel road..talking pressusres and shit is just blah...the advice we really should tell him...is just do it...don't over think it!
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    BMW
    Basically if you need advice on how to do a wheely or a stoppie you shouldnt be doing them

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    Basically if you need advice on how to do a wheely or a stoppie you shouldnt be doing them
    Ridden all my life on bikes with no brakes, was just seeing if anything was needed. I can do wheel stands (not on the 250 though).
    Never done a stoppy on anything more than a push bike (looked fairly easy).

Thread Information