Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 2 stroke expert in Dunedin

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4

Looking for a 2 stroke expert in Dunedin

As the title suggests. I'm looking for some 2 stroke experts in Dunedin that may want to help me out in the shed in exchange for drink/smoke/food.

Aprilia RS250 is making some noises on the powerband so would like to strip and inspect and would like some good old fashioned knowledge and experience to watch over me and provide guidance and advise from those that have done this a million times before. A bonus would be if you race them gotta love racers and their mechanic abilities

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    Use a blue power band, and use a strong epoxy to ensure it doesnt slip..

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenMistake View Post
    Use a blue power band, and use a strong epoxy to ensure it doesnt slip..
    haha lets not go down this road..

have you seen that thread with that dude asking how to make his 2 stroke NSR a 4 stroke? classic..

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post

have you seen that thread with that dude asking how to make his 2 stroke NSR a 4 stroke? classic..
    Oh my lord,
    thats an amazing idea,
    I hate that 2 stroke sound.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one

yeah thats hilarious!.
    is it just a general run down you're after? or just the few things that youre bothered about and want fixed?
    what do you know already?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    yeah thats hilarious!.
    is it just a general run down you're after? or just the few things that youre bothered about and want fixed?
    what do you know already?
    Yea for now its just this particular noise that its making mainly in the higher revs when it should be or is in the powerband. I'm just taking a stab that its prob the powervalves, but once I have them out I won't really know what I'm looking at unless there is very visible wear thats obvious to a monkey like me.

Hmm I know a bunch of theory.. have not opened up anything 2 stroke that is bigger than the weedwacker and lawnmower though and pretty sure they didn't have powervalves.

But I am a 'qualified' mechanic having done my automotive shit cert and apprenticeship a few moons ago :S whatever that counts for.. I know how it all works and what it supposed to do. But since I have no real experience with these v twin 2 stroke engines from the RGV/Aprilia in particular I'd like to find someone that has stripped and rebuilt a few of these specific engines before as they will know a thing or two that I can't find in books or online.

If I feel like taking the risk of further damage I might put the body n bits back on tomorrow and ride it to the pub where u guys meet prior to the ride tomorrow and you could take it around the block and listen for the noise I speak of if you think you know a thing or two

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    Around the block?!

Make sure the tank is full, should be nice in middlemarch.

Bike
    Around the block?!

Make sure the tank is full, should be nice in middlemarch.
    har har, it came with a full tank of gas an oil. stoked. you should have smelt the van that it got delivered in. he was literally marinating in 2 stroke fumes, he must have been high as a kite the whole drive down. I was high just when he opened the doors and I helped him unload it.

fuck it starts easy, I just went out to the garage to fire it up haha, I love th digital display, it displays a big COLD to you until it is warm enough to ride. no longer to I have to make my own decision on when its warm enough to go.. happy days for the lazy

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Yea for now its just this particular noise that its making mainly in the higher revs when it should be or is in the powerband. I'm just taking a stab that its prob the powervalves, but once I have them out I won't really know what I'm looking at unless there is very visible wear thats obvious to a monkey like me.

Hmm I know a bunch of theory.. have not opened up anything 2 stroke that is bigger than the weedwacker and lawnmower though and pretty sure they didn't have powervalves.

But I am a 'qualified' mechanic having done my automotive shit cert and apprenticeship a few moons ago :S whatever that counts for.. I know how it all works and what it supposed to do. But since I have no real experience with these v twin 2 stroke engines from the RGV/Aprilia in particular I'd like to find someone that has stripped and rebuilt a few of these specific engines before as they will know a thing or two that I can't find in books or online.

If I feel like taking the risk of further damage I might put the body n bits back on tomorrow and ride it to the pub where u guys meet prior to the ride tomorrow and you could take it around the block and listen for the noise I speak of if you think you know a thing or two
    sounds good, will see ya there!

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    har har, it came with a full tank of gas an oil. stoked. you should have smelt the van that it got delivered in. he was literally marinating in 2 stroke fumes, he must have been high as a kite the whole drive down. I was high just when he opened the doors and I helped him unload it.

fuck it starts easy, I just went out to the garage to fire it up haha, I love th digital display, it displays a big COLD to you until it is warm enough to ride. no longer to I have to make my own decision on when its warm enough to go.. happy days for the lazy
    Lmao yeah ae, My misses works with a guy who owns one, its in the shop at the moment though

Bike
    Lmao yeah ae, My misses works with a guy who owns one, its in the shop at the moment though
    arg.. I hope its getting serviced and not repaired

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    arg.. I hope its getting serviced and not repaired
    apparently he doesnt know, its been one problem after another,

Probably due for a rebuild and he hasnt realised, its at SPV in the window, he wants to swap it for my 650, as tempting as it is haha

Edit: Misses said they thought it was a CDI issue or something

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    judging by the state of it, its getting repaired. it isnt looking happy.

heres a link that describes the powervalve functions for different engines.

If you want, just blow the fucking engine up and get an RS500 built. youll get ya rocks off on that shit something wicked.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    judging by the state of it, its getting repaired. it isnt looking happy.

heres a link that describes the powervalve functions for different engines.

If you want, just blow the fucking engine up and get an RS500 built. youll get ya rocks off on that shit something wicked.
    haha that is the backround idea for the toy tho.. first rebuild will be the 300cc kit, then after that will see what I can do.. hope to have access to some engineering and fabrication shit by then.. a 500 2 stroke would be something fun alright haha.

Bike
    theres actually quite a few cool rgv500 gp replicas built, they are online. very cool. But they knew the some people in the right places to get some real ex motogp parts n shit for the builds.. I'm sure I can substitute no.8 wire in though

Thread Information