Page 13 of 101 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Race chassis

Quote Originally Posted by richban View Post
    OK best guess. I have 2 choices with the front head mount. Front or rear of the head. Bigger triangle or Smaller triangle? I was thinking bigger and using the exhaust side mount figuring bigger triangle will distribute any vibe over greater area. But hey I have know clue really. Rear mount could come straight from the frame cross member and would be a little easier. Thinking out loud now. Maybe the small mounting config might be better as the motor its self might absorb more vibration. Not sure but we will see. I will post some pic's next week when I start on the mounts. I am sure the length of the mounts and design will make a big difference. Over thinking maybe.
    I like back of the head because it makes the engine easier to get in and out.
    If you go for the front of the head won't the mount itself be much longer? Surely this would resonate a bit by itself quite a bit. Hard to say though.

Tying a motor in to a frame with a larger than normal number of mounts will all else being equal raise the resonant frequency of the whole thing...
    Does an increase in the frequency of a wave decrease the amplitude for a given energy of wave? I can't remember if that is right or not.
    If it is then a higher number of mounts would be preferable for the amplitude of resonance (How much you actually feel)

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Moooools View Post

Does an increase in the frequency of a wave decrease the amplitude for a given energy of wave? I can't remember if that is right or not.
    If it is then a higher number of mounts would be preferable for the amplitude of resonance (How much you actually feel)
    Generally speaking the higher frequency vibes are more readily damped out by the mass of the chassis...but it doesn't always follow as some frame parts may then have their own sympathetic resonance. those who have raced two stroke twins will know this one.
    It really is suck it and see at this level. factories of course have better resources hence quicker solutions.
    Rich - I'd be tempted to take the top mount to the largest/nearest mass available - which is probably the steering head area.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I'd also suggest upon taking mounts, to take the mounts & the rest of the bike to that chap I hear of who lives out in the Akatas. As I think Max would have to agree.

Rich what you may want to consider is getting some of these rubber mounts & make sure the solid mounts are big enough to simply bore them out to fit them if it vibrates like a marital aid. The RG50 ones are good to look at (sort of a T section with steel washer & tube on the inside for the bolt) & I've used them on my MB engine, but had to weld tube to replace the skinny mounts on the engine. I've decided to do the same again with my next cases, as they need welding anyway, but considered putting them in the frame.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    . . .
    Loved the BOB footage BTW. Mid race stuff esp was excellent. Was that F5Dave you passed like he was standing still
    Yes that was me & he did pass me like I was still. You only have to be a bit over a second slower a lap in a 55min race where the laps take about a min to get lapped. By way of excuse the bike was slapped together & barely putting out 18hp at the time. 16 with a dobble of 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    If you ride slower you don't have to concentrate as hard and it is a bit easier, haven't seen the results from BOB were they ever posted up anywhere?
    Meh, some Hoogies 1st & 2nd. Rich 3rd & me 4th.

And some other people.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I'd also suggest upon taking mounts, to take the mounts & the rest of the bike to that chap I hear of who lives out in the Akatas. As I think Max would have to agree.
    Oh yeah he has it nailed. I actually did 4 out of 6 mounts on dad's bike but the rest was left to the one they call.... Damon.
    Definitely knows his shit. I hear he has been doing it for quite some time. (Working on bikes; not taking shits)

Bike
    husaberg
    Yes that was me & he did pass me like I was still. You only have to be a bit over a second slower a lap in a 55min race where the laps take about a min to get lapped. By way of excuse the bike was slapped together & barely putting out 18hp at the time. 16 with a dobble of 18.
    I wasn't taking a shot just asking if it was you but it (The FXR250) was flying along nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by richban View Post
    OK best guess. I have 2 choices with the front head mount. Front or rear of the head. Bigger triangle or Smaller triangle? I was thinking bigger and using the exhaust side mount figuring bigger triangle will distribute any vibe over greater area. But hey I have know clue really. Rear mount could come straight from the frame cross member and would be a little easier. Thinking out loud now. Maybe the small mounting config might be better as the motor its self might absorb more vibration. Not sure but we will see. I will post some pic's next week when I start on the mounts. I am sure the length of the mounts and design will make a big difference. Over thinking maybe.
    Would you show me a pic of the top of the head STD and a pic of the std way it is mounted in a FXR150 i had a wee look and came up empty.
    there was a good write up re head stays on a CR500 thread somewhere but a had a little look and can't find it.

One thing I do worry about with My build with using the MC16 frame is getting the weight far enough forward as the NSR250 lump has a lot more weight on the front end.
    I have considered a few options and likely will be using an eccentric insert in the steering head but i do think there will be some issues.I hate the though of shortening and narrowing it but it might have to be done still easier than finding a cheap RS125 frame.

As Grumph said it is actually easier to start from scratch some times.

The reason fro the NSR beam frame is purely for aesthetics. MC16 is because it is the narrower and likely lighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Stephen.....you've gone a bit too inscrutable...spell out exactly what you're getting at please. Motor swapping from one frame type to another has been done since the Hildebrand and Wolfmuller first came on the market. The practicalities of it mean that until it's done and tested the average Joe won't know if the vibes are better or worse until he tries it. If you have access to massive computer capacity and the time by all means simulate it for us.....in the meantime, adjusting the balance factor until the PERCEIVED vibration is acceptable works for me....
    Tying a motor in to a frame with a larger than normal number of mounts will all else being equal raise the resonant frequency of the whole thing...whether this actually helps reduce perceived vibration or the opposite depends on many things, most of which the builder can't change...One guy here with a BSA twin read some theory on the net and turned out with what looked like an Americas Cup keel on the underside of his motor - reckoned it was smoother....but he would say that wouldn't he.
    Sorry just seemed to me I was wasting my time replying , It may not have been a very well thought out reply , but its 90% there!
    The second post was just a post to get people to think about a manufacturers view point if you can eliminate a part through design then you will save money such as on the CR where the design negates separate engine mounts.

As a good guide the art is to obtain a smooth running engine one must reduce or neutralize forces and couples in order to reduce the stresses in the engine and the supports.
    For a single cylinder , a guesstimate would be

unbalanced forced due to inertial forces ( and couples) such as

MR/2r = m/s where MR is the unbalanced mass moment ,m is the balanced, ( primary?)

unbalanced forces and couples due to rotational parts , rod lengths, etc ( secondary )

I was going to expand a little more on this but I don't need to as if you have a smart phone it will have a free app which measures vibration ( its quite accurate and )

but if you look at the terms in a free undamped system fn = wn/2pi=1/2pi.(K/m)^1/2 = 1/2pi.(g/x)^1/2

where k = spring stiffness of material and m is mass , and X = displacement

So by changing the stiffness or mass or by changing the displacement changes the vibrations felt

A common mod is to fill the end of the handlebar with a heavy wieght , or something similar

Lets take the "tig craft" 450 in a 125 frame, the order of magnitude of magnitude of the forces As a guesstimate

450 = 125

MR/2r " 450" = MR/2r "125" while this isn't a correct formula ( I just want to show you can estimate the order of magnitude of the change in "vibration" )

Then what do you need to change in order to "reduce " those vibrations ( I would be looking at the engine first then Engine mount design next ie as you pointed out "a mount near a mass ")

The bucket that had a broken engine mount "lost engine Vibration energy " though changing the displacement value "X"

Hope all this makes sense, at the end of the day all I am really saying is I am amazed at how many people ( not just on here ) forget to " think twice cut once " and "paper is cheap " tI disagree with the make it bigger , suck it and see , or in my experience , all costs money and as an old boss once told me " thinking doesn't cost anything "

I was stunned how much that guy spent on that CBR , when a plan written on a bit of paper would have saved all that headache.

Just my Humble opinion,tis all ,,,,

Stephen

Ps as for a powerfull computer , you dont need one , I use CAElinux on a fairly reasonable desktop , and for when I really need grunt I use Amazons elastic cloud , as a fellow KB suggested ( thanks that person)
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    One thing I do worry about with My build with using the MC16 frame is getting the weight far enough forward as the NSR250 lump has a lot more weight on the front end.
    I have considered a few options and likely will be using an eccentric insert in the steering head but i do think there will be some issues.I hate the though of shortening and narrowing it but it might have to be done still easier than finding a cheap RS125 frame.
    Mine (MC18/MB100) feels like it is arse-heavy. It's mitigated somewhat by positioning the rider really far forward but it still isn't perfect. I'd thought about shortening it too but it isn't worth the hassle for me at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian d'marge View Post
    Hope all this makes sense
    No.

Not yet, that's going to take a fair bit of digestion. Maybe I'll get it eventually.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    BSA A10
    Stephen.....you've gone a bit too inscrutable...spell out exactly what you're getting at please. Motor swapping from one frame type to another has been done since the Hildebrand and Wolfmuller first came on the market.
    Most people wouldn't have heard of them but you're old enough that you can probably remember them both new on the shop floor

Meh, some Hoogies 1st & 2nd. Rich 3rd & me 4th.

And some other people.
    I must have been back in the "and some other people" well back I would think
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post

No.

Not yet, that's going to take a fair bit of digestion. Maybe I'll get it eventually.
    Bugga

made sense to me

think , small stone. large lake , or big rock small puddle

Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post
    Mine (MC18/MB100) feels like it is arse-heavy. It's mitigated somewhat by positioning the rider really far forward but it still isn't perfect. I'd thought about shortening it too but it isn't worth the hassle for me at this stage.

No.

What is the static weight distribution? Would be interested to know. No rider.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian d'marge View Post
    Bugga

made sense to me

think , small stone. large lake , or big rock small puddle

Stephen
    Not the point of your post, but it actually reminded me that i shouldn't go to radical on the revised geometry
    As my little engined bike is going to be easier to flick around as well due to my smaller spinning things.

I agree on the thinking doesn't cost anything with one caveat. designers are generally paid by the hour

I myself are guilty of spending too much time thinking not enough time actually doing.

"Procrastination the art of keeping up with yesterday."

One other but is at time vibes can be absorbed (well kind of) by filling the handle bars with expanded foam as well as mitigated with weights.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Exercycle
    OK Stephen - yes, it makes sense to me broadly...but just because there's a thread on here with one at least of the world's best 2 stroke tuners doesn't mean that the rest of the forum will or should be that standard....LOL.
    Most of these guys just want to find a way to make an acceptable race bike. If they were as up to speed as yr good self, they too would be in Japan visiting HRC....Asked them yet whether they're using the Enfield floating bush bearing ? point out t's quite satisfactory in turbos up to about 150,000RPM....Might set them back a week or two.
    Computing power...I don't own a cellphone and my computer might as well be powered by a hamster wheel.
    Kickaha was as usual exaggerating my age but suck it and see is much faster with 40 plus years of experience....

Bike
    husaberg
    they too would be in Japan visiting HRC....Asked them yet whether they're using the Enfield floating bush bearing ? point out t's quite satisfactory in turbos up to about 150,000RPM....Might set them back a week or two.
    Great stuff i was re reading the article on the us Enfeild racer the other day who thought he would improve on the design by using a ina big end the thing constantly seized the big but only on overrun i think he blamed it on cyclic variation he made up a rig to test his theory using a paint shaker.
    Ducati had it sussed with the Supermono.
    Who was the guy who used to have the fast Enfeilds in Cams they were ridden by a guy Kerry (Reeves?) I was always intrigued what was inside them.
    I suspected a lot of Non Enfeild parts? I guess a lot of the speed may have been the rider though.

Rich mentions scales below.
    I have seen a lot of differing methods mentioned to weigh bikes, but all Landcorp farms and pretty much all Asurequaily offices have scales with load bars as well as sale yards a lot of stock agents and other serious farmers.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET

Weight Distribution.

Well I thought I would do a little test with the scales. The FXR as it is now has exactly 50/50 weight distribution (bike only). With me on it, in a crouch it's 50/50. Siting up in the seat hands still on bars. The weight moves 5kg to the back. Not sure if this is good or bad but was interesting at the time.

Thread Information