Page 41 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: Race chassis

Bike
    RS125, TZ80, RS50, RS50, FXR
    Quote Originally Posted by mr bucketracer View Post
    your light so part way there
    Clearly a man of many words hahaha.
    Have you trialed some of the noted differences? Any comment on what worked better or worse for a bucket and your preference of riding?
    I'll hazard a guess that you'll say "just bloody build the thing and ride the pants off it". That works too but we don't particularly learn much that way do we?

Bike
    husaberg
    you would have to send me some hot drink to get that out of me lol , anyway have you got your engine in your frame or do i have to bring my welder back for a second go lol
    Have I? that would be telling Are you coming back Easter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    GPR150
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    Clearly a man of many words hahaha.
    Have you trialed some of the noted differences? Any comment on what worked better or worse for a bucket and your preference of riding?
    I'll hazard a guess that you'll say "just bloody build the thing and ride the pants off it". That works too but we don't particularly learn much that way do we?
    i recond 29degree set up with right rear spring , just what i think as every track is diffent so dont take any notice of anything l say because im drunk changed it lol sucker

Bike
    GPR150
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Have I? that would be telling Are you coming back Easter?
    was it easter i was there ? love to but money is breaking me and heath

Bike
    husaberg
    was it easter i was there ? love to but money is breaking me and heath
    Shit no October............whoops
    29 degrees looks a lot like 22 degrees?
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    I just lost count
    I have read through Tony Foles books a couple of times. Some good stuff in there but well over my head (probably not but I struggle with grasping technical shit outside of my day job, feels far to work like).

Have come to the conclusion of I was to do the first one would be a suck it and see experiment. Take the learnings from that for the second one. And by the third frame I might know what I am doing

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    i recond 29degree set up with right rear spring , just what i think as every track is diffent so dont take any notice of anything l say because im drunk changed it lol sucker
    I think its generally recognised that 27 degrees will be stable enough in most conditions for desert racing, you might go a bit steeper for mx.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I think its generally recognised that 27 degrees will be stable enough in most conditions for desert racing, you might go a bit steeper for mx.
    From what i hear of Minefield's current condition 27 degrees would work well...

Anyone who is serious about frame building should beg borrow or steal Vol 1 & 2 of The Racing Motorcycle by Bradley. Everything you need to know is there.

Some observations though...If it's a light bike and not on the very latest rubber - skinny 18's for example - radical geometry isn't needed as steering may well get too light if it's got a steeper rake than say 26 degrees. But you guys are always going to go to the maximum tyre width anyway - which again, may not be optimal. Do you for instance really need the widest tyres on a bucket on a big track where rolling resistance becomes a factor....

Bike
    Blog Entries
    For years I ran a front tyre on the rear of my 50 but in reality the 115 was better on bigger rim for traction especially over bumpy seal and I went faster a a result.

My RSs run 23* but I've never got around to measuring trail as its hard to change beyond ride height/fork position indirect affect. On my NF4 some more offset might be nice to try as it turns on a dime (ie. has to go to America before it changes direction). Ride height is made but have found out DDs bikes have extenders which I was to try next which would put steering steeper still.

Bike
    Exercycle
    For years I ran a front tyre on the rear of my 50 but in reality the 115 was better on bigger rim for traction especially over bumpy seal and I went faster a a result.

My RSs run 23* but I've never got around to measuring trail as its hard to change beyond ride height/fork position indirect affect. On my NF4 some more offset might be nice to try as it turns on a dime (ie. has to go to America before it changes direction). Ride height is made but have found out DDs bikes have extenders which I was to try next which would put steering steeper still.
    Could you give us a comparison of the NF4 on kart vs big tracks please dave.

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    I can give you a compassion on my NSR. I run from 21.5 to 22.5 deg on both the 300 and the bucket trail numbers around 86 to 90 depending. Its also the shortest of the 250's at 1340mm

They both handle great. But for a kart track I would think a shorter version would be a bit better. The 300 is super stable at just over 2 hundie. Untill I ride something better I will say they are the best handling bikes in the world.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Could you give us a comparison of the NF4 on kart vs big tracks please dave.
    NF4 is fine at Ruapuna, except for the primitive suspension.

Actually it is a little lazy in . . erm is it the dipper? Fast left back straight. Understeers there and needed lots of lean angle where others don't seem to.

Funny, people get all uppity about `gp chassis` and how its unfair blah blah, but to be honest they are great as a starting point but they are far from ideal. Now I'm not currently racing I'll admit to holding back on that a bit so people thought it was an advantage.

Bike
    Exercycle
    NF4 is fine at Ruapuna, except for the primitive suspension.

Actually it is a little lazy in . . erm is it the dipper? Fast left back straight. Understeers there and needed lots of lean angle where others don't seem to.

Funny, people get all uppity about `gp chassis` and how its unfair blah blah, but to be honest they are great as a starting point but they are far from ideal. Now I'm not currently racing I'll admit to holding back on that a bit so people thought it was an advantage.
    Much as i expected, bigger radius turns are what it's made for. I have seen you talking about it's understeering on the kart tracks and wondered. i've also seen R taylor talking about how it's more important on the 125's to keep the plot level so as not to upset the aerodynamics on the big tracks. Which implies suspension travel limitations.
    In an ideal world, you'd simply fit a soft front to fix it.
    Those NF4's were not bad in their day. The factory only made small changes to the geometry year to year. The change to 17's made a huge difference.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I've had a couple of peeps out on the 100 in the last few weeks,mand they've echoed my thoughts. A ride a couple of years back on a gpr made me accustom to what was good.

Even Yowls rg250/tf100 was a blast, if real real slow, I could ride around fxrs with ease while the blasted me down the straights and out accelerated me.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by richban View Post
    I can give you a compassion on my NSR. I run from 21.5 to 22.5 deg on both the 300 and the bucket trail numbers around 86 to 90 depending. Its also the shortest of the 250's at 1340mm

They both handle great. But for a kart track I would think a shorter version would be a bit better. The 300 is super stable at just over 2 hundie. Untill I ride something better I will say they are the best handling bikes in the world.
    You have my compassion Rich, But in comparison to Dave's
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information