Page 46 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Race chassis

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    Is that the PC way of saying "the bike is underpowered and handles like poo, but if you figure it out, ride the wheels off it, and not crash you are going to be a pretty sharp rider"?
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I think it a polite Japanese way of suggesting that it rewards a smooth riding style with high momentum and not point and squirt.
    Both are correct, lol...I remember seeing that Wayne Gardner and sons had ridden them in Aussie at a meeting somewhere to help get publicity for the class.
    He said much the same things - politely.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Both are correct, lol...I remember seeing that Wayne Gardner and sons had ridden them in Aussie at a meeting somewhere to help get publicity for the class.
    He said much the same things - politely.
    Funny enough, I can't think of a rider, that was more a pointer and squirter than Wayne himself
    Gusty buggar though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    My RG50 was 59.5kg wet but no gas. My RS went up a couple and to 63 with a small amount of gas but bigger RS wheels. I used to run 95 on the rear but on bumpy tracks you could trust the 115 more and I was faster despite the heavier rim and drag. New slicks every time would help address that.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    none
    Another advantage of a short wheelbase:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	short wheelbase advantage.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	321891

Bike
    Blog Entries
    One trip down south we got 5 buckets in a short wheelbase HiAce van, with only wheels/pipe off the last one.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    One trip down south we got 5 buckets in a short wheelbase HiAce van, with only wheels/pipe off the last one.
    If you'd come down on the old interisland ferry, you wouldn't have liked the Lyttelton road tunnel tolls - They used to charge for every vehicle or bike through even if they were on a trailer or in a van...
    It was hilarious to watch George Begg working himself up on the subject. I think he came to blows with a tollbooth attendant once bringing a racecar through on a trailer. Had to pay for towcar, trailer and racecar....

Bike
    none
    If you'd come down on the old interisland ferry, you wouldn't have liked the Lyttelton road tunnel tolls - They used to charge for every vehicle or bike through even if they were on a trailer or in a van.
    Makes me wonder: how far would you have to take a bike to pieces so it wouldn't count as a vehicle any more? Wheels out? Forks out? Engine out? Angle-grinding the frame?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I think after the 70s that problem probably went away.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I think after the 70s that problem probably went away.
    Sailed away actually...

I know two guys here who used to go up on Friday night with their racebikes, ride them Wgtn to Levin Sat AM and race on the Saturday.
    Ride them back to the ferry for the Sat night sailing back to Lyttelton - remember everything had to be registered then...
    Then to Ruapuna for a Sunday meeting...After which it was home to bed for work on Monday morning...

One was riding a 7R AJS - and says he was never stopped by a cop...

Anyway to bring it back on chassis thread, I'm told the 7R had tiedown points added to the frame. Some restorer has probably wondered what they were as he was cutting them off....

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    One was riding a 7R AJS - and says he was never stopped by a cop...
    Grumph,
    Might ask you a few questions about frames, tubing sizes and materials etc. when I have got used to my TIG welder (if I ever do). Looks very interesting, ie. building steel frames, except that I've left it all a little bit late to try out my planned creations myself! - I built one about 45 years ago by bronze welding - it wasn't too bad.

Also wanted to say that way back I remember a guy having a swivelling dummy hub (tube) on the towbar of his car and he drove to and from the races towing his 7R with the front wheel removed and the forks bolted to this hub by an "axle" or bolt.
    He did that for a couple of years without ever being hauled up by the cops! - not sure how the 7R stood up to that sort of treatment though.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Grumph,
    Might ask you a few questions about frames, tubing sizes and materials etc. when I have got used to my TIG welder (if I ever do). Looks very interesting, ie. building steel frames, except that I've left it all a little bit late to try out my planned creations myself! - I built one about 45 years ago by bronze welding - it wasn't too bad.

Also wanted to say that way back I remember a guy having a swivelling dummy hub (tube) on the towbar of his car and he drove to and from the races towing his 7R with the front wheel removed and the forks bolted to this hub by an "axle" or bolt.
    He did that for a couple of years without ever being hauled up by the cops! - not sure how the 7R stood up to that sort of treatment though.
    No probs Will, happy to make suggestions. That method of towing bikes is very old. The clever people doing it, remove the final drive chain before moving off...
    Sadly with today's traffic regs, it's probably illegal.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    No probs Will, happy to make suggestions. That method of towing bikes is very old. The clever people doing it, remove the final drive chain before moving off...
    Sadly with today's traffic regs, it's probably illegal.
    I dunno, you can still use an A frame to tow a car...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    I dunno, you can still use an A frame to tow a car...
    Yeah, I once spent an evening welding up an A Frame to tow an old van to a place near near Hamilton (my mate's place), the height was wrong and I nearly got the back wheels of my car up in the air first time I braked! - took it back and re hashed it all, then proceeded to drive it to Hamilton, seemed ok but I was more cautious this time!
    On the way, I was followed by a traffic cop till I got fed up with him following me and pulled over. He just drove slowly past and carried on, so must've been legal!

If I had been responsible for inspecting these things then, I would not have been too keen on allowing that one on the road!
    Then today I wouldn't allow mobility scooters either, dangerous bloody things! (and I own one).

REVIEW, come to think of it the dummy hub on the towbar, (mentioned earlier in post 685) didn't actually swivel.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    GRUMPH,
    I am interested in learning to use a tig welder especially for welding steel tube.
    Looking at the Waddon frame right at the beginning of this thread (posted by Cotswold), which looks like an easy and hopefully useful project to have a go at, but I'm not entirely sure what sort of tubing to use with TIG.
    Way back I built a conventional (featherbed style) frame out of 17 gauge cold drawn seamless (MS?) but bronze welded it and it worked fine.
    A lot of people appear to be using 4130 now which it seems is ok for TIG but not for bronze and also I have read somewhere that you still need to be careful about technique when using TIG for this material.
    I believe you have had quite a lot of experience building single tube frames, so what gauge and type of tube would you use (for TIG), say in the case of a Waddon style frame (bucket size)?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/
    Mild steel has the same stiffness as the stronger steels like 4130/531, it just isn't as crashable (unless you can gauge your crashes well enough to put enough force in the frame to bend mild steel but not 4130 -- most people can't crash that precisely).

Tony Foale's original TZ250 frames were 2.00" OD x 16g wall. He has mentioned to me that if he were to build another of those TZ frames (which he isn't) he'd go up to 2.25" OD to account for modern tires. I started a similar frame and decided to use 2.5" x 16g, just to be extra safe. The big Kawasaki street and race frames were 3" tube.

Waddons were designed and built by a former employee of his (with some detail changes). He's told me there was a bit of a stir when at one of the shows Waddon was doing a big-deal debut of their amazing new frame. A friend of Tony's gave him some space on his stand to put one of Tony's TZs on display, which apparently caused some red faces on the Waddon stand and some amusement among the show attendees.

Tony's Picasa album is here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113749999061223276003

cheers,
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TZ750enhanced.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	353.2 KB 
ID:	322599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MCN_01vert.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	322600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MCN_02.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	313.5 KB 
ID:	322601  

Thread Information