Page 49 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: Race chassis

Bike
    2022 Honda CB500X, CBR150RS F4 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    there is a gas supplier in Rolleston I think
    Yep, Southern Gas. Easy folks to deal with.
    Sometimes you wish it was easier, but if it was, everyone else would do it, then you remember you don't want to be like everybody else!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Air Liquide is in Hornby, its the old Carbonic Ice, there is a gas supplier in Rolleston I think, Ill find out soon enough
    The Welding place in annex road can get owner bottles filled so no need to go to BOC
    Thanks Mike - wasn't aware of the new name for carbonic Ice. They're the ones supplying acetylene cylinders complete with gauge.
    I use Southern gases for both gas bottles now. Quite good to deal with too. A mate uses Air Liquide for acetylene and BOC for Oxy - in total pays more than me.

Bike
    NA
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    Nice!
    Always wondered two things:
    1) how people can build such beautiful projects with such hideously dirty and messy workshops. Probably because they're the type of people to just get on with it and make something rather than fuss about stuff like tidiness.
    2) if I (a total amateur racer) would be able to feel the handling differences from the short stumpy fuel tanks Moto3 bikes run now, vs. the older conventional style tanks of the Honda RS125 etc.

Something to ponder at least.
    Dave Pearce here the bloke with the untidy workshop. That picture was taken after 4months of flat out work by one person (ME) to build a proper Moto 3 bike for the British championship full of KTM's & Honda's and bloody competitive. If the workshop took a bit of a battering it was all worth it. I got the Wife to sweep up while we were winning the first race at Brands Hatch. This is a totally private project between a few mates . (I'm supposed to be retired) There is no connection whatsoever with Mahindra. The various components were obtained as part of another deal. Any questions regarding the chassis etc I will try to answer within reason.

Bike
    NA
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Well, that's your invite to my workshop rescinded...unless you bring a brush and shovel.

Any of the GPR frames ever used a tank dropped down in the frame ? Like a few guys used on ZXR400's and FZR 400's.
    I'm also contemplating a box structure steering head for direct input to the airbox. That tigcraft has given me ideas how to do it.

I also note that Dave's seat subframes are getting stiffer. The sheet structure must be much stiffer than his earlier tubular versions.
    Can we assume that the rider's physical input was causing flex ? Shades of the bolted up vs welded up featherbed...
    I don't remember ever making tubular sub frames .Some RS125 Sub frames on the 450 like Jason's. Mostly Carbon or alloy sheet

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pearce View Post
    I don't remember ever making tubular sub frames .Some RS125 Sub frames on the 450 like Jason's. Mostly Carbon or alloy sheet
    Welcome to the forum Dave. Good to have another semi retired bike builder here, lol.

I had seen pics of your minimotos and a few SOS frames and had assumed that there was a progression toward the sheet subframes.
    Philosophically, it can't be argued - the sheet versions are stiffer, lighter and cheaper....no contest.
    I have priced up doing a structural seat in CF or alloy, here in NZ, no....

The air intake steering head structure on the Mahindra interests me. Had you considered running the frame tubes to the box rather than to the head tube ?
    I'm looking at doing much the same here and at present can't see any significant reason not to just go to the box.

Bike
    NA

My way

What name do I address you by?.

I've tried a few different ways with the Headstock intake. The method you perfectly reasonably suggest comes out heavy as the box needs to be structural whereas the one on my Moto3 is made in 2mm 5083 alu riveted to the waisted fabricated (5 pieces) headstock. I made the duct /front fairing bracket in 1050 soft alu then took a mould and had a couple made up in carbon.

That 2mm 5083 subframe is real easy to make. I have NO metal forming stuff so I just form it over a convenient block of wood with a large soft mallet. At the 2nd race the bike had a horrendous crash (Both wheels knackered+ all the normal stuff) The subframe was useable later in the day.

Bike
    Exercycle

I've tried a few different ways with the Headstock intake. The method you perfectly reasonably suggest comes out heavy as the box needs to be structural whereas the one on my Moto3 is made in 2mm 5083 alu riveted to the waisted fabricated (5 pieces) headstock. I made the duct /front fairing bracket in 1050 soft alu then took a mould and had a couple made up in carbon.

That 2mm 5083 subframe is real easy to make. I have NO metal forming stuff so I just form it over a convenient block of wood with a large soft mallet. At the 2nd race the bike had a horrendous crash (Both wheels knackered+ all the normal stuff) The subframe was useable later in the day.
    Thanks for the info Dave. I had been looking at the Foggy Petronas pics in The Racing Motorcycle, where the duct is structural - but in alloy like the rest of the frame. i'm assuming that in that particular case the stiffness was adequate without a weight penalty.
    You've got enough metal forming gear - Italian F1 cars had the bodies beaten over a tree stump for years. When Fantuzzi shifted across town from Maserati to Ferrari, he took the stump with him....

Call me Greg - Greg Thomas. This was a predominantly NZ based forum and enough people here know me that it wasn't a problem...But on this thread we now have you and Michael. And on the ESE tuning thread, some of the worlds best 2 stroke tuners....So lets rip off the veil, LOL.

Greg

Bike
    husaberg

Its great to have you here Mr TigCraft
    I have followed your work for years. I was actually intending to post some pics and a story that was ran in a local magazine of the frame you did for the Aprlia V twin that was raced here. but I have yet to get around to it.
    Could I trouble you for a picture of your frame jig. I have been assembling a collection of jig pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    RS125, TZ80, RS50, RS50, FXR
    Dave Pearce here the bloke with the untidy workshop. That picture was taken after 4months of flat out work by one person (ME) to build a proper Moto 3 bike for the British championship full of KTM's & Honda's and bloody competitive. If the workshop took a bit of a battering it was all worth it. I got the Wife to sweep up while we were winning the first race at Brands Hatch. This is a totally private project between a few mates . (I'm supposed to be retired) There is no connection whatsoever with Mahindra. The various components were obtained as part of another deal. Any questions regarding the chassis etc I will try to answer within reason.
    Good to have you here Dave! And very impressed with your creations. Hopefully we can keep the discussion interesting enough to keep you coming back, as the ESE thread does with 2 stroke tuning.

Bike
    GPR150

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Its great to have you here Mr TigerCraft
    I have followed your work for years. I was actually intending to post some pics and a story that was ran in a local magazine of the frame you did for the Aprlia V twin that was raced here. but I have yet to get around to it.
    Could I trouble you for a picture of your frame jig. I have been assembling a collection of jig pictures.
    its a good wright up , only have it in a pdf so you better use your magic
    i'm over buckets

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by mr bucketracer View Post
    its a good wright up , only have it in a pdf so you better use your magic
    You still have my email?
    Actually scratch that I have a new email anyway lol
    check ya pm's

edit thanks Scott
    Click on them three times to supersize them (for those with the old age shortsightedness)
    Sorry its a bit blurry I might fix it later.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC550 1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	563.0 KB 
ID:	323098Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC550 2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	510.8 KB 
ID:	323099
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    a shed full of crazy shit
    Welcome Dave.

I've always admired your Tigcraft frames (blown away the first time I saw Jason's in the flesh).
    Please keep us informed on the moto3 project. Sounds like you have it performing really well; it would be nice to see more of these bikes being built here...

I've got a little question for you.

What is the entended purpose of this front mounts between the frame spars (picture below)? Are they for a front wheel stand?
    If so, could you be so nice to post a picture of it in action?

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	323100

Bike
    NA
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Thanks for the info Dave. I had been looking at the Foggy Petronas pics in The Racing Motorcycle, where the duct is structural - but in alloy like the rest of the frame. i'm assuming that in that particular case the stiffness was adequate without a weight penalty.
    You've got enough metal forming gear - Italian F1 cars had the bodies beaten over a tree stump for years. When Fantuzzi shifted across town from Maserati to Ferrari, he took the stump with him....

Call me Greg - Greg Thomas. This was a predominantly NZ based forum and enough people here know me that it wasn't a problem...But on this thread we now have you and Michael. And on the ESE tuning thread, some of the worlds best 2 stroke tuners....So lets rip off the veil, LOL.

Greg
    Greg
    I was referring only to steel tube chassis re the intake. The Steve Bones PETRONAS headstock was machined from solid 5083 alu and the spars attached to that. So chalk & cheese.

Bike
    NA
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Its great to have you here Mr TigCraft
    Jason sent me Glen's article when it was first published. The bike was massively improved after that.

You have a collection of jig pictures? You must lead an exciting life mate.

Bike
    NA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Welcome Dave.

I've always admired your Tigcraft frames (blown away the first time I saw Jason's in the flesh).
    Please keep us informed on the moto3 project. Sounds like you have it performing really well; it would be nice to see more of these bikes being built here...

I've got a little question for you.

What is the entended purpose of this front mounts between the frame spars (picture below)? Are they for a front wheel stand?
    If so, could you be so nice to post a picture of it in action?

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	93 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	323100
    Bert

Yes those tubes are for lifting the bike. There are a couple more in bottom rear cross tube. Lots of people have asked me about those. They don't look too good but bloody useful. The team love them.

Thread Information