Page 72 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1514

Thread: Race chassis

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/
    Greg, it would be nice if people wouldn't take all their interesting information with them when they die. I'd have been pleased to hear the recollections he had about Scorpion and other cool stuff that happened in the days of yore, and also find out if he had some old photos to share.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
    Greg, it would be nice if people wouldn't take all their interesting information with them when they die. I'd have been pleased to hear the recollections he had about Scorpion and other cool stuff that happened in the days of yore, and also find out if he had some old photos to share.
    Yeah, there's been two or three guys like that who someone should have sat down with a tape recorder. And that's just local to me in the South Island.
    Talking to the one or two I see occasionally, pics were something they never thought about at the time. Some of the guys who went over in the 70's and later had cameras and have pics - but the early guys in the main don't have them.
    I knew two guys who went over in the late 50's and wound up working for F1 car teams. No pics either of them - it just wasn't something they thought about.
    Even George Begg who went over to work for Mclaren to learn more for his own builds doesn't seem to have taken many pics...
    If camera phones had been around, much of that history would have been better recorded.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    Does anyone have this book I could borrow? Pleeeeeassssseeee. I've read the first one and loved it.

John bradley
    The Racing Motorcycle: A Technical Guide for Constructors: Vol 2
    Depends what you can offer as security for it's return.....

I had to build a man a bike to get this copy.

As an aside, IMO Vol 2 is really all you need if you think you already know the theory...

Bike
    2022 Honda CB500X, CBR150RS F4 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Depends what you can offer as security for it's return.....

I had to build a man a bike to get this copy.

As an aside, IMO Vol 2 is really all you need if you think you already know the theory...
    I know Chris. Races buckets and RS125's so he's a good guy And he's a scrawny wee runt so breaking his legs won't be hard if he screws up
    Sometimes you wish it was easier, but if it was, everyone else would do it, then you remember you don't want to be like everybody else!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by timg View Post
    I know Chris. Races buckets and RS125's so he's a good guy And he's a scrawny wee runt so breaking his legs won't be hard if he screws up
    I know who he is - and the fact he races 125 and buckets says he's small, lol - From the Canterbury point of view he's the "other" Cain..

Will you stand guarantee ? I need a fence built.....

Bike
    2022 Honda CB500X, CBR150RS F4 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I know who he is - and the fact he races 125 and buckets says he's small, lol - From the Canterbury point of view he's the "other" Cain..

Will you stand guarantee ? I need a fence built.....
    Nah, I'll break his legs to match his other broken bits
    Sometimes you wish it was easier, but if it was, everyone else would do it, then you remember you don't want to be like everybody else!

Bike
    RS125, TZ80, RS50, RS50, FXR
    Yeah I'm pretty broken at the moment hence all the thinking about bike building

I totally appreciate your hesitation to send me these priceless religious artifacts! I'll happily send you lots of money as a bond, which you send back when I get the book to you again. Timg has also offered free wristies at every race meeting you attend. Thanks Timg!

On another note, I had no idea Kymco of all manufacturers developed a Moto3 bike a while back. Cool!

Bike
    2001, Aprilia, RS250

Kymco Moto3

It was more of a badge engineering exercise.
    The engine was done by Oral engineering, and slotted into a (now redundant) Aprilia RSA125 chassis

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Hey sorry to hear you are bust. Spent some time there myself (hence the 50 being sold to some prat up norf) and its a bit tedious. Heal like a starfish.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    RS125, TZ80, RS50, RS50, FXR
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfumi View Post
    It was more of a badge engineering exercise.
    The engine was done by Oral engineering, and slotted into a (now redundant) Aprilia RSA125 chassis
    Watch the videos. First gen was RSA chassis, then they made one themselves. But yeah, Oral engineering was driving it. Hopefully they integrate into Kymco somehow so we actually see the technology spread, which is good for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Hey sorry to hear you are bust. Spent some time there myself (hence the 50 being sold to some prat up norf) and its a bit tedious. Heal like a starfish.
    Yeah it sucks, I've missed 5 weekends of racing in a row but I've taken a shit load out of it. Spent a lot of time watching people ride the tracks and found a lot of places I can go faster, so I'll back myself to pick up the pace when I next get on the bike. Always a silver lining... unless it's a 2 stroke which then it's usually a red Elf 909 lining.

I purchased a potential donor bike for a RSX50 project I'm hoping to get off the ground. Might be twisting your lads ears about chassis soon.

IMG_4485 by Chris Cain, on Flickr

Anyway, enough of my distraction!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Too much rain today. I should have been out riding my 300 GasGas today. Its awesome.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    http://www.bsaotter.com/scorpion_spo...rch_1963..html

Some additional photos and measurements/detail information on the Scorpion frame has been added by Charlie. It is at the bottom of the page.

cheers,
    Michael

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
    http://www.bsaotter.com/scorpion_spo...rch_1963..html

Some additional photos and measurements/detail information on the Scorpion frame has been added by Charlie. It is at the bottom of the page.

cheers,
    Michael
    In the villiers book there is a picture of the road racer version it looked very neat.
    Oh and here it is on the site. I think any were made though.

The MX version up the top looks like bits of Greeves DMW Butler and Dot all thrown together.
    My father has a Butler. prior to making complete bikes . He used to make a lot of fibreglass for different manufactuers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Exercycle
    If I'd seen that roadracer I may well have copied it for Peter Pastars Starmaker....I'd looked at the Cotton frame for the motor and I'd had an AJS Stormer through the workshop which had been converted to a roadracer - which I didn't much like.
    So I did a "freehand" version of the AJS frame layout juggled around to suit a roadrace application.
    But I'd been doing Aermacchi replica spine frames for years so if I'd seen that one it would have been attractive...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peter's AJS 003.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	329486  

Bike
    Greg, I like the looks of that bike.

The Scorpion RR frame looks like a Triumph T140 without the lower cradle tubes. Bending a big tube like that is going to be hard for a DIY person, welding a top and a vertical tube together (like the drainpipe Dunstall twin) would be easier.

Thread Information