Page 79 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1514

Thread: Race chassis

Bike
    75 RD250b, 76 250C , 78 250E
    I have wanted to install eccentric bearing races into frame headstock so I can alter the rake angle there's plenty of space, but I'm wondering how I can do this easiest way so the forks would be pointing straight down not sideways , anybody have an idea how to do this?

Bike
    1974 Yamaha RD250
    The old CanAm motorcycles in the 70's and 80's had a replacable top and bottom eccentric that was keyed into the head tube,I'm sure pics could be found on google..

Bike
    GPR150
    Quote Originally Posted by Muciek View Post
    I have wanted to install eccentric bearing races into frame headstock so I can alter the rake angle there's plenty of space, but I'm wondering how I can do this easiest way so the forks would be pointing straight down not sideways , anybody have an idea how to do this?
    bimota do it the easyist way , barrel type roller at the bottom and a offset top , only have to change to top to re offset it
    i'm over buckets

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Although we are not talking aluminium alloy here, I have heard that going back quite a few years there were some clever old guys who were very accomplished pipe benders who just used strategic heating and cooling alone to make the shapes required.
    I guess it was time consuming in a factory situation - could this technique also be applied to extruded aluminium in our situation? - it's not really clear (in the video) whether Kymco actually used a lot of force or not.

Grumph maybe you can tell us how John Britten did it with his "artistic" exhausts.

I think Neil has gained a lot of experience with aluminium alloys in his aircraft construction.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    Although we are not talking aluminium alloy here, I have heard that going back quite a few years there were some clever old guys who were very accomplished pipe benders who just used strategic heating and cooling alone to make the shapes required.
    I guess it was time consuming in a factory situation - could this technique also be applied to extruded aluminium in our situation? - it's not really clear (in the video) whether Kymco actually used a lot of force or not.

Grumph maybe you can tell us how John Britten did it with his "artistic" exhausts.

I think Neil has gained a lot of experience with aluminium alloys in his aircraft construction.
    In the short time i worked for John, the pipes i was asked to work on were cut and shut welded, not very nice. I don't know who did the later ones, I've heard that Wob was involved. It's possible that a guy here in ChCh who was heat bending filled tube for car race pipes may have done them. He certainly did some nice work for other people.
    I'm sure Neil has vast experience with alloy fabrication Will. The problem with bike stuff is that for preference your frame spars are not rectangular section - usually with what is the top outer corner beveled off. And usually with at least two internal dividers running the full length of the piece too. Looked at full frame post fabrication heat treatment years ago and realised it would need to be done in a jig to maintain alignment. Which raises differential expansion problems...So the 7000 series alloys which age harden post weld are ideal. Most alloy race frames now are 7000 series extruded spars welded to 7000 series pieces CNC produced.
    FWIW I've arranged to let Neil have a look at Bradley's book before it comes home.

Bike
    husaberg
    here is a Few
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1130370335
    You are far more likely to notice a change in trial than rake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I'm sure Neil has vast experience with alloy fabrication Will. The problem with bike stuff is that for preference your frame spars are not rectangular section - usually with what is the top outer corner beveled off. And usually with at least two internal dividers running the full length of the piece too.
    According to Alan Cathcart, Mike Eatough (I think?) investigated various extrusions for the HD Superbike and concluded that none of them had any advantage over a plain rectangular tube. Packaging and/or ergonomics might dictate otherwise in some cases, I guess. John Bradley says Tigcraft used an industrial section and random-bloke-in-the-paddock told me it was something to do with truck bodywork...
    One of the Paton V4 2 strokes had a frame from stacked tubes. I had a fractured, no common language, chat with the Paton bloke in attendance and they used 4 lots of 25 x 3 square to get a 100 x 25 "extrusion". I tried to ask if they did anything to the internal faces but it was beyond our level of communication. Later, I found an Italian magazine article that seemed to say it had 6mm thick webs. Material was something like Aerocordal... Roehr in the states does something similar with steel square section.
    Team Roberts fabricated their frame spars from flat stock then bent with cerrobend or similar.
    I'm away from computer and WiFi so this is all unverified memory, just like the old days!

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    You want vertical forks?

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    Quote Originally Posted by 190mech View Post
    The old CanAm motorcycles in the 70's and 80's had a replacable top and bottom eccentric that was keyed into the head tube,I'm sure pics could be found on google..
    Think the CanAm, and Ducati, have larger than usual headstock's for their adjustable Gubbins?

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by guyhockley View Post
    According to Alan Cathcart, Mike Eatough (I think?) investigated various extrusions for the HD Superbike and concluded that none of them had any advantage over a plain rectangular tube. Packaging and/or ergonomics might dictate otherwise in some cases, I guess. John Bradley says Tigcraft used an industrial section and random-bloke-in-the-paddock told me it was something to do with truck bodywork...
    One of the Paton V4 2 strokes had a frame from stacked tubes. I had a fractured, no common language, chat with the Paton bloke in attendance and they used 4 lots of 25 x 3 square to get a 100 x 25 "extrusion". I tried to ask if they did anything to the internal faces but it was beyond our level of communication. Later, I found an Italian magazine article that seemed to say it had 6mm thick webs. Material was something like Aerocordal... Roehr in the states does something similar with steel square section.
    Team Roberts fabricated their frame spars from flat stock then bent with cerrobend or similar.
    I'm away from computer and WiFi so this is all unverified memory, just like the old days!
    Honda always ran extruded sections for GP as well.later years.

The Fireblade from memory has a 4 internal section
    The ROC frames that Roberts ended up using as Yamaha f-ed theres up for a few years were pressed in concrete formers churned out on CNC machines using a special froggy areospace alloy.
    betting they never made any money out of them. carpental rings a bells as the name
    The Harris frames were bent twisted and pounded with a lump hammer and lots of love by Alf Mossel.
    150 seperate parts
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1130228780
    Spondon used to sorse some extruded sections for some of there later frame.
    NWS made them the same as Harris.
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1130228408
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    Various frame spars, mostly ali extrusions, but the small CBR600 one is steel and there are some fabricated ones, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CBR600 98.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	330451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CBR900R 95-96.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	330452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CBR900R 95-96 sections.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	522.7 KB 
ID:	330453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CBR900RR 98 and 2000.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	330454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GSXR 96.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	307.1 KB 
ID:	330455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hayabusa 98.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	330456  

Bike
    Dawes Jaguar
    Couple more including a swinging arm.

Name:	ZX9R 2000.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	300.9 KB 
ID:	330457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZX600.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	363.6 KB 
ID:	330458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VFR 88.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	246.7 KB 
ID:	330459  

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Girders are good where forces are largely in a single plane. Parallel ones are cheaper, but where loads aren't uniform they don't make much sense.

So if you're using a perimeter concept frame why would you use an extrusion instead of fabricating a beam based on the variable loads involved?

Name:	5a71dda890e72fb343806e01560ec64d.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	330461  
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    why would you use an extrusion instead of fabricating a beam based on the variable loads involved?
    If a production frame: cost. If a one off, easier construction if the extrusions are readily available to you.

Bike
    Exercycle
    The GSXR frames pictured above point up how much going to the simpler beam frames saved in fabrication time - and cost.

The half - shell pressings which are then seam welded are probably cheaper initially than an extrusion - but still have to be seam welded.
    Given that they can be produced in already curved form - and sized appropriate to the loads at any given point they are probably more cost effective than parallel extrusions which still have to be bent...

But later still are the current frames which are using more cast sections than before. They can be produced quickly and can be sized appropriate to loads as can be seen in the Buell ? frame Ocean put up. Bent sections can be accurately finished as cast. Fewer welds as the main pieces get bigger too. Even automated welds cost money.

Not a lot of this is appropriate to the home builder though...Unless you want to get into limited volume presswork.

Thread Information