Page 93 of 101 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1514

Thread: Race chassis

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Nah he's just up the road somewhat.
    His idea was that low center of gravity was no good if there we a high headstock. He just wants to try his ideas out, but in the flesh the aluminium is gorgeous. I didnt discuss why it was likely to be odd.
    We weren't at his place. Another shed even closer to me, not to be disclosed, and it was over an hour before I even bothered to go over and have a look due to other bikes. I've been geeking out ever since at the, well one other bike.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    none
    At this week's MotoGP tests in Jerez, Ducati displayed a remarkable rear brake anchor rod. No questions were answered by the factory, but my guess is that the front of the anchor rod is not directly attached to the frame, but to the rear suspension link system. So that, if you use the rear brake, the rear suspension is compressed and the Center of Gravity is lowered. This reduces the tendency to wheelie and thus enables stronger acceleration.

Using the rear brake while trying to accelerate may sound crazy. But a MotoGP machine has too much power in the lower gears, where the aerodynamic downforce from the anti-wheelie spoilers is still limited. Using part of this power to lower the Center of Gravity, so that more of the remaining power can be used for acceleration, is a brilliant idea when you have power to spare.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ducati 2018-11-29-05.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	339729 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ducati 2018-11-29-02.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	339728

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    At this week's MotoGP tests in Jerez, Ducati displayed a remarkable rear brake anchor rod. No questions were answered by the factory, but my guess is that the front of the anchor rod is not directly attached to the frame, but to the rear suspension link system. So that, if you use the rear brake, the rear suspension is compressed and the Center of Gravity is lowered. This reduces the tendency to wheelie and thus enables stronger acceleration.

Using the rear brake while trying to accelerate may sound crazy. But a MotoGP machine has so much surplus power, especially in the lower gears, where the aerodynamic downforce is limited, that using part of this power to lower the Center of Gravity, so that more of the remaining power can be used for acceleration, is a brilliant idea.

Name:	Ducati 2018-11-29-05.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	339729 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ducati 2018-11-29-02.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	339728
    They Probably still have a few guys in the Ducati MGP team that reinvented antidive back in the mid 90's with Cagiva.

Name:	Cagiva antidive.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	339731
    The issue with the 90 degree Ducati is they will never get the weight far enough forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Well funnily enough I bumped into this tonight. It does look great. A mate Roger had told me he was going to something like this. He is a Tesi owner.
    Water jet some of it but largely by hand

2 bikes in the background now I look at this. One known for real bad handling. One for real good.
    Which end is the front?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I think it is like one of those French cars Jason, where it doesn't seem to matter.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    whatever I can get running - dirt/track/
    I saw today that Dan Hanebrink died 29 Dec 2019 at the age of 80. He was a "name" in off-road bicycling for the last few decades, but started out making some innovative motorycles/parts.

Here is a picture of Dan Hanebrink's Monotrack Engineering monocoque racer. The frame is made of welded magnesium plate, and the 3 cylinder Kohler 2-stroke engine was rated at 100 bhp. Constantly variable transmission and synchro-belt final drive, Monotrack calipers and coated aluminum brake discs, hydro/pneumatic suspension, 16" Monotrack cast wheels, and "weight was scarcely more than 200 pounds".

Monotrack monocoque From the Monotrack/Target catalog

A less grainy photo:

Here's a 250 Yamaha with Monotrack wheels and brakes I saw at Laguna Seca one year:

Bike
    Exercycle
    In retrospect, using 16in wheels led to lot of grief. From what I've read, by the time the tyre supply was drying up, so was his enthusiasm.

Definitely an innovator though.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
    I saw today that Dan Hanebrink died 29 Dec 2019 at the age of 80. He was a "name" in off-road bicycling for the last few decades, but started out making some innovative motorycles/parts.

Here is a picture of Dan Hanebrink's Monotrack Engineering monocoque racer. The frame is made of welded magnesium plate, and the 3 cylinder Kohler 2-stroke engine was rated at 100 bhp. Constantly variable transmission and synchro-belt final drive, Monotrack calipers and coated aluminum brake discs, hydro/pneumatic suspension, 16" Monotrack cast wheels, and "weight was scarcely more than 200 pounds".

Monotrack monocoque From the Monotrack/Target catalog

A less grainy photo:

Here's a 250 Yamaha with Monotrack wheels and brakes I saw at Laguna Seca one year:
    I downloaded some stuff a week or two ago
    Shame he was ahead of his time
    I had a google arround those engines are big dollars.

Name:	Monotrack-Motorcyle-Daniel-Hanebrink-Original-1973-Article.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	340099Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monotrack 8.jpg 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	340100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monotrack 7.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	221.0 KB 
ID:	340101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monotrack 6.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	340102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monotrack 5.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	340103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monotrack 4.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	340104
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    husaberg

Name:	Monotrack 3.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	340105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monotrack 2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	340106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monotrack 1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	340107Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monotrack.jpg 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	340108
    I have that write up and another i have posted years ago think both were missing last pages
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Greg, Hanebrink's triple does seem to be a good example of why picking the best tires available should be the first thing in the design process. IIRC the Goodyear 16" tires he got were left-overs/non-current which didn't help with things. The sharp bend in the intake tracts doesn't seem like a wonderful choice, but he probably didn't have many options at the time.

His Monotrack fiberglass seemed like nice quality work, a friend had a tank and seat on his RD250.

Happy New Year to everyone and I hope you all see amazing progress on your projects (as opposed to "I'm amazed I've made any progress") in 2019!

cheers,
    Michael

Bike
    Exercycle
    I've got an article in "Motorcycling Monthly" from September 1978. By Derek Picard (an aussie I think - in an English mag)

Which seems to be written at the end of play. Hanebrink talks about a Mark 2 using an OW31 engine and 18in wheels - but doesn't seem that keen on actually doing it. Action pics as published elsewhere, couple of workshop pics unique to this article. Hanebrink basically explaining the problems...

Re projects....I suspect it's an excess of christmas cheer, but there's been some discussion on other threads here about the CX Hondas....I have a newish mag here which has an article on the Dr John Guzzi following one on the CX650....Proximity leads to some dreadful ideas...I'll keep buying the lotto tickets....
    If it ever gets built I've got a name for it - The pox doctors maggot.....
    Last edited by Grumph; 1st January 2019 at 18:45. Reason: Clarification

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Moore View Post
    Greg, Hanebrink's triple does seem to be a good example of why picking the best tires available should be the first thing in the design process. IIRC the Goodyear 16" tires he got were left-overs/non-current which didn't help with things. The sharp bend in the intake tracts doesn't seem like a wonderful choice, but he probably didn't have many options at the time.

His Monotrack fiberglass seemed like nice quality work, a friend had a tank and seat on his RD250.

Happy New Year to everyone and I hope you all see amazing progress on your projects (as opposed to "I'm amazed I've made any progress") in 2019!

cheers,
    Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I've got an article in "Motorcycling Monthly" from September 1978. By Derek Picard (an aussie I think - in an English mag)

Which seems to be written at the end of play. Hanebrink talks about a Mark 2 using an OW31 engine and 18in wheels - but doesn't seem that keen on actually doing it. Action pics as published elsewhere, couple of workshop pics unique to this article. Hanebrink basically explaining the problems...

Re projects....I suspect it's an excess of christmas cheer, but there's been some discussion on other threads here about the CX Hondas....I have a newish mag here which has an article on the Dr John Guzzi following one on the CX650....Proximity leads to some dreadful ideas...I'll keep buying the lotto tickets....
    If it ever gets built I've got a name for it - The pox doctors maggot.....
    found it

Name:	Monotrack 1 (1).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	749.7 KB 
ID:	340293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monotrack 2 (1).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	755.9 KB 
ID:	340294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monotrack 3 (1).jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	765.3 KB 
ID:	340295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monotrack 4 (1).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	731.8 KB 
ID:	340296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monotrack 5 (1).JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	388.9 KB 
ID:	340297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monotrack (1).JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	389.6 KB 
ID:	340298
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Rick Denoon sent me some photos of his Honda 400/4 project of about 15 years ago. Not a racer, but still pretty cool. His current 400/4 project will be turbocharged and fuel injected.

Rick Denoon sent me some info on his 400/4 project and I've put his photos here:

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/c...ckDenoon400-4/

----------------
    From Rick: Here are some photos of my CB400F circa 2005.

"Egli/Foale" style frame - 3" diameter x .063 main tube, 1" x .045 wall for all other tubes. - all plain ER steel.

VF500 wheels/forks/brakes

NS400 fairing, 400F tank, Yamaha YZF750 tail.

Wet weight - 345lbs

54" Wheelbase, 25 deg rake, 98mm trail.

Bike
    husaberg
    That reminds me of the first or secong GM street race some had a Cb400 or 550 with leading link forks and i think a special frame any ideas who it was Grumph?
    I think it was red and Blue very boxy tank might have even been monocoque
    Kind of looked a little monortrack styled.
    Ps real nice stuff Mike and thanks for te other stuff.
    I asked a while back about your EX250 stuff and what you did with the ignition? Uou might have missed it.
    Grumph was rebuilding a GPZ500 and his original ignition died i was thing maybe ex500 ignitor might work and have a decent curve
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    The EX250 stuff was sold off a long time ago when the window of opportunity on the project had closed with no likelihood of being reopened.

I would have put a RITA on it since I imported them into the US at one time. But while they worked OK they were old tech (not so old then) and there's so many better options now for ignitions -- Ignitech, HPI.be, etc.

The EX250 rotor/stator ended up on a friend's Yamaha XS650 street bike. It turned out it was a great fit, and while he had a RITA mounted on the cam the EX 3-phase alternator let him eliminate the 'orrible XS650 brushed thingy.

Tony Foale did a 400 or two back when he had his frame business. The spine was more the size of those on the TZ250 frames than the big street bike frames.

cheers,
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hon400_1_jpg.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	340319  

Thread Information