Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini-motard for bucket racing?

Bike
    fxr 150

Thumbs up The WORD!!

Hey folks;

I have been reading some of the threads in this forum for some time now and just had to respond to some of them as they were getting a bit personal.

My name is Ivan Smith and I used to race motorcycles a fair bit in the late 90s early 2000's for those who know me would know that I have a couple of NZ titles and have also done a bit of racing O/S on occasion, I will stop there as there is no need to qualify myself.

I have recently started bucket racing as I missed racing much and since I now have a young family money isn't overflowing out of my wallet.

In my former life as a motorcycle engineer I learnt a few things about making engines go faster etc etc blah blah, but it all takes time so i did some research an found that the Forza FMX 140SE was legal yes legal for bucket racing!!!!

The frame is based on a KLX110 not a KX or KXF and the engine is based on the old Honda Monkey motor, neither are competition based motorcycle. A CRF150F is legal as a Bucket Racer and a CRF150R is not etc etc etc. (just and easy comparision).

So after careful consideration I thought should I spend hours in the garage building a weapon and between shift work etc never see my good wife or kids ??? tempting. So I got a Forza and put a set of wheels on it and that is it nothing but standard apart from the exhaust (I slung it under the engine to make it look more road bike!!!, all up it has cost me $1800.00 and nothing has broken on it.

I have had it on the Dyno and it puts out 12hp thats right folks 12hp!!!!!!! and as for the Motogp wantabes who seem to think maybe I was a bit slow around the corners please put your hands up as I didn't see you at the two hour (which I beleive is where all the grumbling is comming from).

My co racer on the day Mark Addison had never raced before, never! and before the 2hr had finished had already purchased a bike similar to mine as he had "the most fun with my pants on!!!!!" so come on guys if you can't handle the jandle put on some shoes!!!! I'm sure if there were some tech checks done there would be many people with red faces.

So clarification to all.......
    My bike a Forza FMX140SE is legal!
    Racing Rocks and Whining dosn't!

Bike
    Several
    Mint, its cool when questionable things are cleared up as legal.

I was a bit sceptical about the stuff I bought from the tinny house the other day. After the guy assuring me it was legal my concerns evaporated.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Hi, its always good to see new people entering the sport. It is full of people who have never previously raced, or used to race bigger bikes but can't stretch there & realise a scale size smaller can be just as fun.

The rules are in place so people don't go crazy & we end up in a spiraling arms race. The rules have been the same for some time. No rules are perfect, but they are what they are.

However you say you did some research & proclaim your bike legal. In the research you should have noted that frames are not controlled - so why mention it? Did you do research in the MNZ rule book? Or anecdotal?

So the bike isn't powerful, that's almost irrelevant to the argument. To be honest in local races we wouldn't care if you raced or not on it. But it is dangerous to set a precedent. That really is what the thread is about.

Further, there are many ways to build a legal bike. The most common path is an $800 dereg'd FXR & some better tyres.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    fxr 150
    It was only to clarify and add weight to the fact it is a non-competion bike.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by goivy26 View Post
    Hey folks;

I have been reading some of the threads in this forum for some time now and just had to respond to some of them as they were getting a bit personal.

My name is Ivan Smith and I used to race motorcycles a fair bit in the late 90s early 2000's for those who know me would know that I have a couple of NZ titles and have also done a bit of racing O/S on occasion, I will stop there as there is no need to qualify myself.

I have recently started bucket racing as I missed racing much and since I now have a young family money isn't overflowing out of my wallet.

In my former life as a motorcycle engineer I learnt a few things about making engines go faster etc etc blah blah, but it all takes time so i did some research an found that the Forza FMX 140SE was legal yes legal for bucket racing!!!!

The frame is based on a KLX110 not a KX or KXF and the engine is based on the old Honda Monkey motor, neither are competition based motorcycle. A CRF150F is legal as a Bucket Racer and a CRF150R is not etc etc etc. (just and easy comparision).

So after careful consideration I thought should I spend hours in the garage building a weapon and between shift work etc never see my good wife or kids ??? tempting. So I got a Forza and put a set of wheels on it and that is it nothing but standard apart from the exhaust (I slung it under the engine to make it look more road bike!!!, all up it has cost me $1800.00 and nothing has broken on it.

I have had it on the Dyno and it puts out 12hp thats right folks 12hp!!!!!!! and as for the Motogp wantabes who seem to think maybe I was a bit slow around the corners please put your hands up as I didn't see you at the two hour (which I beleive is where all the grumbling is comming from).

My co racer on the day Mark Addison had never raced before, never! and before the 2hr had finished had already purchased a bike similar to mine as he had "the most fun with my pants on!!!!!" so come on guys if you can't handle the jandle put on some shoes!!!! I'm sure if there were some tech checks done there would be many people with red faces.

Do you work for, or are sponsord by the Forza importer?

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    The relevant part of your post runs along the lines of "is based on a honda monkey motor" too lazy to quote.

The book states it must be from a non competition motorcycle. That is where the problem comes in, you stump up a road legal bike running that engine and there will be no isue.
    The GL145 engine is legal. The Loncin motors, if somebody made an issue of it may well not be. Based on is not the same as equal to.

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk View Post
    The relevant part of your post runs along the lines of "is based on a honda monkey motor" too lazy to quote.

The book states it must be from a non competition motorcycle. That is where the problem comes in, you stump up a road legal bike running that engine and there will be no isue.
    The GL145 engine is legal. The Loncin motors, if somebody made an issue of it may well not be. Based on is not the same as equal to.
    dosn't say anywhere that it has to be a road bike engine (fell for that one myself)
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries
    Hey folks;
    i did some research an found that the Forza FMX 140SE was legal yes legal for bucket racing!!!!

but the advertising blurb said it was a race bike (therefor not legal just like the crf150r)

"FXR155Z Motard is designed for the Kart lance Racing," so the sales people say it's not legal

NEK minit I reread your post and see that you have an FMX140SE that may be legal as it's not a race bike

ps it was me who took pics of you racing at the 2 hour Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pitbike.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	622.9 KB 
ID:	255239

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watchout for these 2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	399.4 KB 
ID:	255240and didn't these 2 new riders beat you ? (just because I had to add something personal )

hope you come back (we aren't as bad as the classic guys. no one has ever put in a complaint)
    "Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion on how to install it" Tim Taylor of "Tool Time"
    “Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.” - Cullen Hightower

Bike
    gp125 rg50 rs125hybrid
    Blog Entries

I also did some research and you dont have a legal bike

quote from the importers website

FMX140 SE (special edition) uses GPX/YX 140cc racing engine with TWIN muffler design.
    This machine rips and generate 12HP, your bike will dominate the 140cc class!

sorry it has a racing engine so not legal
    go ask for your money back

Bike
    fxr 150

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Buckets4Me View Post
    but the advertising blurb said it was a race bike (therefor not legal just like the crf150r)

"FXR155Z Motard is designed for the Kart lance Racing," so the sales people say it's not legal

NEK minit I reread your post and see that you have an FMX140SE that may be legal as it's not a race bike

ps it was me who took pics of you racing at the 2 hour Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pitbike.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	622.9 KB 
ID:	255239

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watchout for these 2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	399.4 KB 
ID:	255240and didn't these 2 new riders beat you ? (just because I had to add something personal )

hope you come back (we aren't as bad as the classic guys. no one has ever put in a complaint)
    They kicked my ass but I fell off twice and had to pit three times as I only have a 3lt tank!!!!
    I will be back !!!!! maybe a FXR powered RM 80 ????

You guys race hard Im just sad because Im not fast anymore!!!

Ivy

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    They kicked my ass ... Im just sad because Im not fast anymore!!!
    Ivy
    Join the club brother ..... still lots of fun to be had.

Bike
    Fully Tarded
    ...Motard Pit bikes will take over Bucket Racing! Just remember you read it here first mawhaha

Bike
    ninja 250
    Im not sure who said the 140cc pit bike was an issue, it was certainly the 155 that was an issue as the engine is oversize according to the rules. And its also the fact that the FXR155Z is advertised as a competition bike, that tends to suggest it is also outside the rules.
    As the chassis is open being based on a KLX110 chassis, (like a KLX110 was the first bike to use that chassis ... ) acyually doesnt count for anything either.
    Just because the engine is "based" on soem old relic doesnt really mean anything either. An old air cooled RM100 maybe "based" on an old TS100 motor but that doesnt make it a legal motor.
    The best thing would be for all these mini motards to turn up and have their own class for ... mini motard racing, what a novel idea ...

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by gav View Post
    Im not sure who said the 140cc pit bike was an issue, it was certainly the 155 that was an issue as the engine is oversize according to the rules. And its also the fact that the FXR155Z is advertised as a competition bike, that tends to suggest it is also outside the rules.
    As the chassis is open being based on a KLX110 chassis, (like a KLX110 was the first bike to use that chassis ... ) acyually doesnt count for anything either.
    Just because the engine is "based" on soem old relic doesnt really mean anything either. An old air cooled RM100 maybe "based" on an old TS100 motor but that doesnt make it a legal motor.
    The best thing would be for all these mini motards to fuck off and run their own seperate meetings for their own class for ... mini motard racing, what a novel idea ...
    10characters

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by gav View Post
    The best thing would be for all these mini motards to turn up and have their own class for ... mini motard racing, what a novel idea ...
    Plus one to that.

I'll be surprised if I see any actual effort from interested parties go into organising it.

The brick is perfect smiley.
    Heinz Varieties

Thread Information