Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picton/Hamner/Westport/Takaka/Picton ride advice

Bike
    Yeah Baby!

Picton/Hamner/Westport/Takaka/Picton ride advice

Looking at doing this ride around the 6th of Jan. Wondering what the roads are like, whether 4 days/3nights is long enough and what accom options there are.

Fj
    Some things are worth dying for, living is one of them.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    I was riding the Westcoast a few weeks ago Jim. I believe the technical description for the roads in question is;

BLOODY AWESOME

Three nights/four days is ample. Arthurs Pass is worth the extra mile to give you a better 'loop' of the upper Westcoast. Exiting Arthurs you can turn left (HW72) via Oxford to get you to Hanmer. Those link roads between Springs Junction-Reefton-Murch. are all fun and scenic. Buller Gorge is a must. Westport to Karamea is a standout but you wouldn't have time.

This year we went; Picton-Blenheim-Nelson-Murch-Karamea on our first day. That was over the top but it's do-able to give you an idea on how far is too far. If you haven't seen that part of the country before, then you need to slow down and take in the scenery, lots of stops etc. Aim for lesser distances each day.

Lots of cheap pubs with accomodation. Some of the more out of the way run down ones are about $40 a room (Geraldine and Moana for example). You wouldn't stay two nights, but they are budget for a reason. Karamea was $65 for a room with 3 beds if I recall- and top quality motel rooms at that.

Takaka this time of year the motels are a bit dearer, maybe $120 a room. Was in 2010 when I split off from my group ride and ended up there on my own. Hanmer is upper priced too being a prime tourist spot.

Have fun. Ignore that, you will.

edit- I am staying at Punakaiki that same week with the family.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    The Nelson/Takaka area got a bit of rain recently ... roads around the area may be a bit "munted" ... and the hill will have roadworks due to slips ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    R100GSPD
    consider the inland kaikoura route rather than straight down the coast(or visa versa)

View picton hamner in a larger map

Bike
    Yeah Baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The Nelson/Takaka area got a bit of rain recently ... roads around the area may be a bit "munted" ... and the hill will have roadworks due to slips ...
    Yeah. That was my main concern, what condition the roads were in, especially buller gorge and the nelson

Bike
    2009 Yamaha XJ6S
    I rode the Whangamoas from Nelson to Picton & back yesterday.. the hill was in good condition! Queen Charlotte Sound however was an absolute ugly dogs arse!! (travelling Havelock to Picton direction) the road surface is in very poor condition & there were a few patches of roadworks/gravel that were unsignposted! As well as lots of vehicles (both directions!!! ) with their wheels well over the centreline on right hand corners! so to be honest it was more "work" than pleasureable!

Take note however.. that we are forecast some more heavy rain in the next couple of days... which has people worried.. so conditions may change...
    GET ON
    SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP
    HANG ON

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatjim View Post
    Looking at doing this ride around the 6th of Jan. Wondering what the roads are like, whether 4 days/3nights is long enough and what accom options there are.

Fj
    Yup you should sew it up on the 6th....although not sure what you will do in Picton the 7th 8th and 9th ...

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatjim View Post
    Looking at doing this ride around the 6th of Jan. Wondering what the roads are like, whether 4 days/3nights is long enough and what accom options there are. Fj
    pleanty of time wouldnt worry bout the roads weather tho LOL it is the coast however it wont be cold. Heaps of accomadation just rock up or if ya plan ya trip pre book.
    Below is my reconmendation (not that ya asked for it) blue are alterative routes. Enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ride.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	253827  
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LBD View Post
    Yup you should sew it up on the 6th....although not sure what you will do in Picton the 7th 8th and 9th ...
    A few days fishing in the sounds maybe ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2009 Yamaha XJ6S
    Jus checked out with some mates over in Mot, who said the Takaka Hill is in good shape

Stick well to the left of your lane on right hand corners though.. because the road is quite narrow, very windy & has a lot of big logging & dairy trucks on it, & due their size & lack of width on the corners.. the rear tires frequently cross the centre line, therefore the arse end of the truck takes up space in YOUR lane!!

Also there are a lot of foreigners here in campervans who don't understand what the white line is for

Keep in touch.. I may be free to go riding that day....
    GET ON
    SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP
    HANG ON

Bike
    Yeah Baby!
    Thanks guys for all the help.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by MyGSXF View Post
    Also there are a lot of foreigners here in campervans who don't understand what the white line is for
    theres more farking kiwis that dont know
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    I would go in to Hamner just south of Kaikoura as Dangerous suggests...but then carry on up the Lewis to Springs Jtn then west to Reefton (Thats a really nice ride) then down to the Blackball Hilton for the night.

Next day to Westport via Punakaiki and up through Nelson lakes towards Takaka. for 3rd night. Then to Picton.

If time allows and weather is nice, ride out through Collingwood to the start of Farewell spit.

Bike
    2009 Yamaha XJ6S
    Quote Originally Posted by LBD View Post
    If time allows and weather is nice, ride out through Collingwood to the start of Farewell spit.
    Most definatelty.. beeeeutiful ride!!!

Have a look at a thread I did on my ride over there a coupe of years ago.. tis a real pretty place to go hang around on a nice day. Theres a cafe overlooking the spit (with big binoculars) & from there you can go for a walk down the beach for quite away. It's really pretty & they have masses of big beautiful black swans.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ht=takaka+ride

GET ON
    SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP
    HANG ON

Bike
    Black Ninja
    You'll love it all from the moment you ride off the ferry. You're in luck too as the weather is going to be fabulous. Shame you're not coming earlier, you could have stopped in Nelson for the Port Races on Jan 2.

Thread Information