Thread: Crimped fork tubes? Fail torque wrench

Bike
    1999 TRX850K

Crimped fork tubes? Fail torque wrench

Hello All

Bit of a tricky one to gauge on a forum but... bike = CR125

I suspect my bitchin bar tourqe wrench is readying way off, I tourqed me fork clamps 15ft-pounds for the bottom and 16 on the top.. but to a spanner it feels way tooo night. They are hard to un do with a 10cm long 10mm spanner :P

Does this sound odd ?

They felt very loose when I first undone them, with the spanner.

If I have "Crimped" them as they say, is it a case of just loosening them off and it comes right or am I in for a world of poo ?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    did you lubricate the threads and under the head of the bolts? Threads and bolts in perfect condition? Many things affect bolt torque.

If you are trying to undo with a 100mm long spanner then its going to take 45 lbs force on the end of that spanner to equal the 15lbs on the end of a one foot (300mm) wrench

And if you've crimped the fork tubes I'd take that to mean thay have been crushed out of round, which to me is a Very Bad Thing
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    None

Torque

As Pete said, condition of threads and lubrication, also under the head of the bolts if they have a washer face. Correct torque is essential as is calibration of the torque wrench. Overtorquing is bad, especially with USD forks.

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    1999 TRX850K
    Hello

Thanks for the replys

Yes I have lubed the threads and under the heads as per propper practice.. clean surfaces etc...

It is only when I checked it with a ring spanner with my hand that things did not "Feel" Right.

Upon measuring the out of round today, it appears my right fork is crimped by .1 of a mm at the worst! YIKES!!!

I reckon my wrench is faulty by around 12-15ft pounds. So imagine 25-30ft pounds on USD forks. I will confirm the calibration today after getting the new wrench... have not been unable to sleep Forks are expensive!

I am off to buy a $140 one today... And cross my fingers my fork bush's dont complain too much.

How much crimp is too much crimp ?, I did the ol fork compression test in the shed but I dont think I will know until I start coming off some jumps... and if my forks dont come back up.. then oh deer

Cheers
    Leyton Smith

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    If you take the springs out and move the sliders right up as far as they can go, do they come back out again without binding?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    I think you ate worrying to much
    from the factory they are probably no round, do as suggested take springs out and see if the bind, I doubt they will
    torque wrenches are only a guide........
    Stephen

Bike
    1999 TRX850K
    Brian

Thanks for your assurance, I am picking you are totaly right...

I checked my old wrench aganist my newer more expensive one... and my old one was 8ft pounds out. I would like to think that is not enough to crimp the forks..

Next old change in those forks and I will inspect, or if they feel odd. But I think things are going to be ok...

Morrel of the story... if you are going to rely on tourqe settings for something that is sensitive to crushing.. remove the doubt, and don't use your old crappy supercheap $14 bar wrench that you purchased to fix that crap car from years ago

Thanks guys!!!!

Happy New Year!

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    I love my torque wrenches. I have two - a Warren & Brown Split Beam (which my father gave to me) which goes up to 120ft/lb, and a Facom S208-100 fixed ratchet click-type which, naturally, goes up to 100Nm.

Both fantastic wrenches. I thoroughly recommend them.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    07 fz6n. 07cbarrrr600
    Blog Entries
    I forked out $300 for my norbar style 1/2".

I've used it twice..
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    Fkn crack up. Most awkward interviewee ever i reckon haha.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by gatch View Post

I've used it twice..
    Who'd ya hit with it?

Bike
    TF125
    I used to know a guy who worked in an ISO accredited test lab for tourque wrenches & tools. Warren & Brown was in his opinion the best brand of torque wench by far for accuracy and repeatability - by a country mile apparently. Norbar is a quality brand don't get me wrong but their designs have a shitload more parts than a W&B = not as good over time.

Bike
    07 fz6n. 07cbarrrr600
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    I used to know a guy who worked in an ISO accredited test lab for tourque wrenches & tools. Warren & Brown was in his opinion the best brand of torque wench by far for accuracy and repeatability - by a country mile apparently. Norbar is a quality brand don't get me wrong but their designs have a shitload more parts than a W&B = not as good over time.
    Yup, if I'd had quick access to a beam type wrench that didn't cost my soul, I'd have had that instead. Less parts, more cost..
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    Fkn crack up. Most awkward interviewee ever i reckon haha.

Thread Information