Thread: ACC levy - lobbying?

Bike
    Yamaha XV250 Virago

ACC levy - lobbying?

Hi guys,

As someone just getting back onto 2 wheels after too many years cage-bound, I'm stunned and appalled by the ridiculously high ACC premiums bikers are getting slogged with on their rego.

Not only that, but I'm shocked at the stupid and arbitrary charges and thresholds and the underlying statements these make, such as:
    • Bikes 60cc and under are 2 1/2 times as risky as mopeds with similar capacity
    • All bikes 61cc to 600cc are equally risky
    • All bikes 601cc and up are equally risky
    • No matter who you are, where you live, how long you've been riding, your risk is the same
    • In cage versus bike collisions, it's mostly the biker's fault for not being visible enough
    • If a cage driver is dorking off playing with the stereo and hits a biker, it's the biker's fault

I do understand the philosophy underlying these charges - pay according to risk. But the way these new charges are set is mathematically and statistically unsound, and stinks of an underlying agenda to push bikers (particularly less well off bikers) off the road.

If the ACC charges have to change to reflect risk, then why can't they be based on current insurance tables? The insurance industry has worked long and hard over many years to calculate accurate risk-based premiums for bikers. So why not ACC?

So what's the current state of play with lobbying on this?

Cheers
    a

Bike
    Yamaha XV250 Virago

Driver testing

Also - I'd very much like to see cage drivers having to sit a simulator test at each licensing stage (in addition to the road tests), where part of the simulation is proving they can recognise and competently respond to bikes.

Bike
    RSV
    Search "ACC" or trawl through the Politics and Law sections.
    There's enough in there to keep you occupied in the upcoming wet week.

Oh, and welcome.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Every person who has tried to make this a political issue on behalf of "bikers" has been ridiculed, marginilised, stabbed in the back, front, spleen, liver, genitals and big toe, and has disappeared from sight as soon as they have spoken to a Government Minister.

By all means try to help your "fellow bikers". Don't expect any thanks or recognition.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    To the OP - you are right. Of course, it took you to get (back) on 2 wheels to 'discover' that. Shows how effective all the protests were 2 years ago.
    All the country knew about it was the number of bikes putting on a show. And they still don't get it.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Yamaha XV250 Virago
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    To the OP - you are right. Of course, it took you to get (back) on 2 wheels to 'discover' that.
    A bit harsh, but actually warranted. While I was cagebound I saw it on the news, thought of the bikers and thought "you poor bastards" and didn't lift a finger. Now I'm on 2 wheels I think of ACC and think "you @$#&@*$*@# &&@#*%S!!!!!". Humbling lesson in human nature I guess.

Shows how effective all the protests were 2 years ago.
    All the country knew about it was the number of bikes putting on a show. And they still don't get it.
    Sorry to say this, but the biker community's lobbying efforts might have been off-target.
    There are ways to design a campaign that can bring more justice to bikers, yet give the government more of what it wants.

I'll go into this more in another thread...

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by aum108 View Post
    A bit harsh, but actually warranted. While I was cagebound I saw it on the news, thought of the bikers and thought "you poor bastards" and didn't lift a finger. Now I'm on 2 wheels I think of ACC and think "you @$#&@*$*@# &&@#*%S!!!!!". Humbling lesson in human nature I guess.
    That was what we tried to convey with the "You're Next!" campaign, such as it was. Apathy ruled, as usual = if cagers thought anything, it was "I'm not on a bike, I'm all right, Jack".

Sorry to say this, but the biker community's lobbying efforts might have been off-target.
    There are ways to design a campaign that can bring more justice to bikers, yet give the government more of what it wants.

I'll go into this more in another thread...
    We're all ears...ooops, I mean, eyes. Do it here...
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Yamaha XV250 Virago
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    We're all ears...ooops, I mean, eyes. Do it here...
    Sorry - too late. Please see this follow-up thread

a

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by aum108 View Post
    Also - I'd very much like to see cage drivers having to sit a simulator test at each licensing stage (in addition to the road tests), where part of the simulation is proving they can recognise and competently respond to bikes.
    Why?

Concentrating on single bike accidents would get a better chance of reduction in ACC levys (not that there's any chance at all)
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Thread Information