Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart on a Suzuki GSX1250FA

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what happens on the Metzlers, as i have said i'm loving the M5's but different design brief to a certain degree.
    Yes. I expect I'll get a few extra miles out of the Z8s than you will from the M5s, at least I bloody well hope so!!! AFC are doing them about $50 off retail per tyre so that was enough justification to try them out. Won't get them for a couple of weeks, just waiting for the finances to sort themselves out

I also noticed Cycletreads are doing Conti Road Attacks for $370 a set - pretty cheap deal except they don't last long enough to make it worthwhile!
    F M S

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    It'll be interesting to see what happens on the Metzlers, as i have said i'm loving the M5's but different design brief to a certain degree.
    Brian has about 10,500km on his rear Z8 at the mo'. He's probably a bit easier on his tyres than me but it looks like it's probably got 1-2,000km left in it. He's changing it for another one in Chch before the start of the TT.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    Brian has about 10,500km on his rear Z8 at the mo'. He's probably a bit easier on his tyres than me but it looks like it's probably got 1-2,000km left in it. He's changing it for another one in Chch before the start of the TT.
    Interesting, sounds quite promising although it also looks like PR2's may have the milage edge but not by a whole lot etc...
    What are Brian's thoughts of the Z8's in the wet? (is brian your mate riding a Bandit or the one with a Concours?)

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Interesting, sounds quite promising although it also looks like PR2's may have the milage edge but not by a whole lot etc...
    What are Brian's thoughts of the Z8's in the wet? (is brian your mate riding a Bandit or the one with a Concours?)
    He's the Connie rider and he reckons they've been fine in the wet. I used to be a big Metzler fan on my Bandits - never had a problem with them but haven't tried them on the Connie as yet as the PR2's have been so good. When I get back from the TT it will be interesting to see how the PR3's look as they'll be starting to get a few kms on them by then...

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    He's the Connie rider and he reckons they've been fine in the wet. I used to be a big Metzler fan on my Bandits - never had a problem with them but haven't tried them on the Connie as yet as the PR2's have been so good. When I get back from the TT it will be interesting to see how the PR3's look as they'll be starting to get a few kms on them by then...
    Yep,hard to argue with PR2's, not many bikes they don't go well on. I'd be interested to know if those Z8's flat spot much.

Bike
    None any more
    It's time to interrupt the Michelin Fan Boi hijackers and get this thread back to a discussion about Roadsmarts.

In about a week's time the GSX1250FA will get its 30,000km service. The Roadsmarts will have done almost 4,500km by then. And they'll be getting replaced.

The disappointment is crushing, particularly after having talked them up massively.

I'm disappointed because the set I had on my FJR1300 a few years ago was just magnificent. A fully loaded bike, plus pillion, on extremely hot roads in the USA and then some spirited one-person riding on their return to New Zealand. 6,000km ridden when I sold the bike with absolutely no signs of distress or angst.

GSX1250FA? Completely different story. The sides of the rear were starting to get furry and scabby after 1,500km, and have accelerated wear since. The rear's harder centre is just fine but the rest of the tyre would probably struggle to pass a WOF.

Handling wise, these tyres are just magnificent. More like what I imagine a sports tyre should ride like than most sports touring tyres I've ever used. However in terms of their wear, particularly the rear, they're wearing like a sports tyre, rather than the sports tourers they're supposed to be.

Yes, I had a nail puncture and preceding slow leak that may not have helped, but I've done that to Avon Storms a couple of times in the past with nowhere near the ill effects that the Roadsmarts are showing.

So on balance and careful reflection, as sports touring tyres the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart scores a 4.5 on the Hitcher scale. In other words they're crap. And I'm really disappointed. Tyres and fitment don't come cheap and I expect much better value than this.

Now I have to weigh up what to try next. That choice won't include Roadsmarts nor anything with a Bridgestone logo on.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Back to Z8's Hitcher? I maybe well be wrong but I think there is a Roadsmart 2 just been released...... ?

Bike
    my little pony
    Three years ago I bought 2 sets of metzler sportec M3, I fitted one year after the other, the first rear got 8,000ks and was still a smidgeon off the indicators, the 2nd rear barely got 3,800ks. Same bike, same ralleys, roads, speeds , same loadings, same everything. Ended up fitting a pilot road as that was all I could find in Invers at the time (at a rip off price), just to get me home.

Bike
    None any more
    Back to Z8's Hitcher? I maybe well be wrong but I think there is a Roadsmart 2 just been released?
    Z8s? The rear wore well. I wasn't overly fussed with the front's steering nor with its wearing.

There is indeed a Roadsmart 2. I don't know if these have been released in New Zealand yet. Cost will also be a consideration, unless Mr Dunlop wants to avail himself of my services as a test mule.

I may go for a set of Conti Road Attack 2s or Avon Storm Ultras. My jury is still out on all of those slotty groovy things cut into the PR3. I think that those are my choices.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    A
    On reflection it might be cheaper to trade the bike in as it seems rather harsh on rubber Mr Hitcher??

See how I got that whole line out without showing my membership of the Michelin fan club haha...

Bike
    BLACKbird
    Quote Originally Posted by yod View Post
    Yes. I expect I'll get a few extra miles out of the Z8s than you will from the M5s, at least I bloody well hope so!!! AFC are doing them about $50 off retail per tyre so that was enough justification to try them out. Won't get them for a couple of weeks, just waiting for the finances to sort themselves out

I also noticed Cycletreads are doing Conti Road Attacks for $370 a set - pretty cheap deal except they don't last long enough to make it worthwhile!

Any chance of an update on the Z8's?

The Avons on my Blackbird will need replacing soon and I fancy trying the Z8 next as I've read good things about them but I'm always suspicious of PR blurb and track day hero journalists so a real world opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    'Tis better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. (Abraham Lincoln. 1809-65 )

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Scruffygit View Post
    Any chance of an update on the Z8's?
    Read the title of this thread. How about starting a Z8 thread?

Bike
    BLACKbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Read the title of this thread. How about starting a Z8 thread?
    OK.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/ne...y&p=1130318370
    'Tis better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. (Abraham Lincoln. 1809-65 )

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    So what did you change to?

My 1200 bandit came with Avon Storm ST2 ultras, seem good and grippy to me. But then Im new to the bike and not pushing it.

May I ask your recommendation on what pressure i should run in them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    So what did you change to?

My 1200 bandit came with Avon Storm ST2 ultras, seem good and grippy to me. But then Im new to the bike and not pushing it.

May I ask your recommendation on what pressure i should run in them?
    I changed to Conti Road Attack 2 GTs. So far, so good. I'm running these at 36 front and 40 rear. I've found 42 a bit hard. 38 is a bit spongy.

Mrs H is a religious adherent to Avon Storms on her K6 GSF650. She's currently running the Ultras. Never tried them myself and haven't run Storms since my FJR and Shiver days. These were all pre-Ultra era Storms and ran just brilliantly. The FJR loved them and they could be guaranteed to churn out about 12,000km on a rear.

Thread Information