Thread: Chain life?

Bike
    2015 GSR750

Chain life?

ok so, I've got a 2009 SFV650 Suzuki gladius. Coming up to around 55,000 ks on the clock now. I've had the stock standard DID chain since I brought it and I've always kept it maintained but, recently I've noticed its started making a funny "clickity click" noise, especially noticeable when riding very slowly. Today I cleaned and lubed it up and noticed a couple of little kinks.
    The handbook just says to inspect... inspect... inspect and at the last service interval I told the mechanic about it and he said its still good.
    My question is.... after 55,000 ks would you expect to replace the chain and sprocket?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Yes ... it may supprise you how much better a new chain helps for a smooth ride ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by mattian View Post
    ok so, I've got a 2009 SFV650 Suzuki gladius. Coming up to around 55,000 ks on the clock now. I've had the stock standard DID chain since I brought it and I've always kept it maintained but, recently I've noticed its started making a funny "clickity click" noise, especially noticeable when riding very slowly. Today I cleaned and lubed it up and noticed a couple of little kinks.
    The handbook just says to inspect... inspect... inspect and at the last service interval I told the mechanic about it and he said its still good.
    My question is.... after 55,000 ks would you expect to replace the chain and sprocket?
    After 55000 km I'd expect to be on my 3rd chain and sprocket set. Any clicking noise, and any kinks and its overdue for replacement.
    Time to ride

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by mattian View Post
    been answered twice correctly already.
    time for a new chain and sprocket set.

Bike
    2015 GSR750
    Thanks very much guys..... thy will be done

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    None any more
    Chains are somewhat variable. Mrs H replaced her GSF650K6's OEM chain at 80,000km. The bike has had a Scottoiler fitted since new. Replacement chain, treated exactly the same way, lasted 20,000km before developing one very tight spot and a couple of other not-so-tight spots.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Chains are somewhat variable. Mrs H replaced her GSF650K6's OEM chain at 80,000km. The bike has had a Scottoiler fitted since new. Replacement chain, treated exactly the same way, lasted 20,000km before developing one very tight spot and a couple of other not-so-tight spots.
    I presume then the sprockets last better to? I got 11k out of my last chain.

I think an oiler is on the shopping list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I presume then the sprockets last better to? I got 11k out of my last chain.

I think an oiler is on the shopping list.
    Sprockets should get changed with the chain. To put a new chain on old sprockets makes no sense whatever.

Scottoilers are brilliant. Fiddly and messy, but brilliant.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    DKW
    A tutoro chain oiler will do the job for $65.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sprockets should get changed with the chain. To put a new chain on old sprockets makes no sense whatever.

Scottoilers are brilliant. Fiddly and messy, but brilliant.
    I did replace the front but not the rear. Mainly as they are a bitch to find. The front is the same as a XR200R. The rear got changed last time but looking for a 35 for it or a 15 front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Supersprox/Tri-metal sprockets,been using them for years and are simply amazing.This ones on its second chain and still looks good as new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new pics 010 (Small) (2).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	255826  
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Thread Information