Thread: "Soft" kinks in chain

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000

"Soft" kinks in chain

Lubing my chain after a ride yesterday I noticed a few kinks in the chain ( DID xring 25-30k on it). I was able to straighten them out with my hands very easily, hence my term "soft"
    What is the chain trying to tell me? Time for a new one, worn sprokets, too loose/tight?
    TIA
    Matt

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmatt View Post
    What is the chain trying to tell me?
    That your chain is starting to get to the end of it's life. Keep lubing/using for a while yet, while you save up for the replacement. That means chain AND sprockets.

The kinks are telling you that the pins are no longer moving freely inside the links, because the lube inside is nearly gone. Internal lube was applied at the time of manufacture. You can't get your choice of lube back in there, unless you have a standard non-O or X- ring chain, and then only if you take the chain off the bike and submerge it in oil/whatever. Years ago, Duckhams used to sell chain grease in a big, flat tin. You then heated the tin which caused the grease to soften/melt and you then put the chain in there to soak. No-one does that anymore afaik...it is a waste of time with modern O/X ring chains.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Thread Information