Thread: How much oil required for front fork '05 ZX636?

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10

How much oil required for front fork '05 ZX636?

bike is stock. nothing special about it except its green and leaking fork seal. how much oil and what weight to put back in?

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Workshop manual says;

5 weight
    426ml from dry
    109mm from top - spring out, fully compressed.

Bike
    None

Fork oil level

Refilling a fork with oil by quantity only is notoriously innacurate, especially with cartridge type forks. There is only a modicum of accuracy if the fork internals are completely dry, INCLUDING the cartridge internals. Even though the cartridge may be repeatedly pumped to evacuate oil there will still be an appreciable amount internally, clinging to components. As there would be if the fork oil was changed only ( no seal replacement ) as there is still an appreciable amount of oil entrapped between the inner and outer tubes. Much as when you drain engine oil, theres still an amount left inside the engine.
    Moreover OIL LEVEL is used as a tuning aid because it sets SECONDARY TRAPPED AIR SPRING COMPRESSION RATIO. Get the oil level too high and it will be too progressive in action, too low and it will bottom out too readily under hard braking.
    Many of us want everything to be simple and cheap but its no longer a simple world. And frankly this is a job requiring understanding and special tools to get it right. Modern cartridge type forks do need precision in setting.

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    I do get what your saying Robert and agree. few points to consider.

1. not my bike
    2. owner doesnt want to pay a shop to do it
    3. In my experience (TM). Its a really long road finding a half capable mechnaic in the manawatu anyhow. Esp with Kawasaki so doing it yourself is the only way to make sure the job is done properly
    4. When i got there and noted the lack of tools. Im like fuck this. Im not doing it with a beer, mullet and monkey bar. I like tools to to a job.
    5. if his experience is anything like mine he will probably put it into the local kawasaki dealer and pay close on $300 to do it and then a week later give it to the local suzuki dealership to do the job properly and pay another $300 to do it properly

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Workshop manual says;

5 weight
    426ml from dry
    109mm from top - spring out, fully compressed.
    and cheers. found a workshop manual for it.

YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    I do get what your saying Robert and agree. few points to consider.

1. not my bike
    2. owner doesnt want to pay a shop to do it
    3. In my experience (TM). Its a really long road finding a half capable mechnaic in the manawatu anyhow. Esp with Kawasaki so doing it yourself is the only way to make sure the job is done properly
    4. When i got there and noted the lack of tools. Im like fuck this. Im not doing it with a beer, mullet and monkey bar. I like tools to to a job.
    5. if his experience is anything like mine he will probably put it into the local kawasaki dealer and pay close on $300 to do it and then a week later give it to the local suzuki dealership to do the job properly and pay another $300 to do it properly
    Neil Busch at Freedom Suzuki and Derek McAdam at AFC are both highly capable of doing this work, providing you get them personally to do so

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Neil Busch at Freedom Suzuki and Derek McAdam at AFC are both highly capable of doing this work, providing you get them personally to do so
    and Chris Ozzy from fielding...ph number 06 .............???????
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Thread Information