Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Horsepower ratings?

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Surely after reading it four times now, you'll be a bit wiser as to why they dropped em then?

But if you just want some ratings, here's a few:

Quote Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
    Thanks for the random numbers , have no idea what they mean ..take it easy Bogan

You've done well making a fool of yourself , no doubt and not for the first time ...
    I can help.
    One is the standard HP of the CBR250, next is NM of GB400, next is RGV250 HP, NSR250 HP, HP of the original 125cc motorbikes that hit mass production, 1979 Harley Sportster HP, GSXR1100W HP.

Hope that helps. But remember kids just because you don't know something doesn't make you look the fool, assuming someone else doesn't makes you look very foolish.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    kx250f
    Thanks for the random numbers , have no idea what they mean ..take it easy Bogan

You've done well making a fool of yourself , no doubt and not for the first time ...
    go and wank over this

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/118...onclusion.aspx

get the husky!!
    Broken bikes wanted, pm details

Bike
    09crf250r
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupe View Post
    go and wank over this

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/118...onclusion.aspx

get the husky!!
    bit of a dry spell at home is it grump

Bike
    I too must know the hp figures of any bike I intend purchasing, as this is the only accurate way to gauge the length that my penis will be extended by whilst riding it.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Bike
    some honda bits in a kx chassis
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupe View Post
    this thread is retarded
    I think it's about to go full retard.

OP is probably just looking for another reason to try and justify his ancient 500 2T as a better machine.

The point I was trying to make before was that all bikes of the same capacity and designation make around the same HP and torque figures, maybe 2 or 3 HPers/torques separating them. So what is the point in stating that one makes 1HP more than the other when its not like that is ever going to make a difference. I wouldn't ride a bike that didn't handle even if it had the bestest most powerful engine in the world.
    we may just go where no ones been

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Live to Ride, Drive to Work.
    Haha love it.

Quote Originally Posted by noobi View Post
    I wouldn't ride a bike that didn't handle even if it had the bestest most powerful engine in the world.
    So your not a Kawasaki fan then?

Bike
    07 kx250f
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    You say that like it is a bad thing, and like I'm the only one This site has gotten too sensitive, people keep having hissy fits when someone takes the piss
    I think hes just hurt that his precious kx500 gets owned by kx450F's

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    True but each manufacturer always used to publish the KW/Ps figures in their brochures along with the other specs and magazines did the same , So why can't they do it these days , even the YZ400 from way back had a HP rating in it's brochure etc.. . .
    And here's the rub

What you read in a brochure is marketing hype. If they publish a curve it will be a fair representation of the power curve shape but the numbers aren't apples with apples.

Like cars the manufacturers publish hp at the crank. Which is silly 'cause you don't use the crank to lay drive down to the road. But if one manufacturer does it at the crank then anyone who did it at the rear wheels may lose 15-20% in the HP war & people believe that shit.

So how do you get a hp reading at the crank on a bike? Kawasaki had explained some long winded explanation in a mag in the 80s that they dyno'd it then removed the top end & rods & drove it with a motor to work out the mechanical losses through the gearbox (still drive chain to wheels that you would see on a rolling road dyno, but they would have used a chassis dyno).

Also dynos vary in reading & that war can go on forever.

Further brochure manipulation includes other specs like weight.

I don't have any dirtbike examples but the argument goes that if a bike has a bigger fuel tank it is penalised for being heavier so they weigh them without gas. Further the retarded logic says weigh them dry, therefore you don't include any oil, battey fluid. Things got so silly a decade ago they must have just collected a frame a tank some random engine parts & shuffled them all onto the scales, declared 'that's our YamaKazooma 1000' & claimed that weight.

An example is the 166kg GSXR750s. Wow screamed the magazines, these feel so much lighter & people were throwing that figure around. Some mags later aimed them at the scales & with a tank of gas nudged 208 kg. Didn't sound as impressive. A 748 was 213kg so they were in good company.

No reason to think they would have been more honest with dirt bikes, esp as they were trying to push the new 4 stroke range which inevidebly had more parts than the 2 strokes, you can't deny that simple fact & there is only so much metal you can remove & withstand power. titanium valves compared with no valves. Big head with ports cams & all sorts compared with simple cover with spark plug.

Best just claim that they are real light & progress is being made.

So playing top trumps (a card game I remember as a nipper) with manufacturers specs is a total waste of time.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Looks like this thread has missed the Grin factor that the 2ts have when the the powerband knocks on the door. I don't race anymore but I love it when the big 5 lifts the wheel in top at over 100kms . 65Hp and 100 dry

Too much power does'nt make a race winner but it's a lot of fun anyway ..is'nt that what it's all about ?

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Time on the dyno costs money? No idea, seems like a reasonable request to ask for HP and torque figures.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Honda read the Hp figures from the other side of the room using special; equipment

and I KNOW they do ....

if fact I have a photo of a friend of mine who does the dyno runs for the pressClick image for larger version. 

Name:	mole_large.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	256144

he also claims to be Lawrence of Arabia , but I put that down to his fondness of hallucinogenics

anyway you fellas might know him

Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    Various things
    Looks like this thread has missed the Grin factor that the 2ts have when the the powerband knocks on the door. I don't race anymore but I love it when the big 5 lifts the wheel in top at over 100kms . 65Hp and 100 dry
    A KX500 on std gearing will maybe hit 70mph as it only revs to 7500rpm. A 450 will do 90mph and roost in your face on one wheel.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I don't think anyone is trying to argue the fact that 2 strokes are more fun to ride, the point of the thread, hmm, hold on yes that was the point. They are more fun.

Well glad that's cleared up.

Now what about the long term consequences of the recent history of Sarajevo? That's a real ball twister. Its looking stable now, but who really knows? Panel is open.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I don't think anyone is trying to argue the fact that 2 strokes are more fun to ride, :
    I'd have to argue that point too. I reckon a 450 is more fun than a 5 hundy. Better wheelies, better slides and far less vibration. They just cost a shitload more to maintain.

Bike
    KTM 350 SX-F
    I'm with Crasher on that one...

My old RM250 is faster than my 350SXF... on paper. On dirt, with me on board, slower. The SXF is more fun cos I can ride it faster and I get to think that it makes me a better rider. For the most part, the RM was just pissed off at me about something (or that's how it rode anyway).

Thread Information