Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not-as-tall ladies, Please help the newbie!

Bike
    2012 Striple
    Blog Entries
    have a look at the 250 Zeal if you can, I had a couple of 250's and the Zeal was the most confidence inspiring, I am not tall either ; )
    yeehaaa sunshine

Bike
    NC30 VFR400
    I felt like a bit of a dick tbh, The others turned up in hoodies and jeans, and I wore jeans and my leather jacket. Adding the pants might have been a bit over kill. Hahaha.

The cone slalom was a bit of a pain in the ass the first couple of times, cos I couldn't go slow enough yet keep the revs up. I had a bit of a practise the other day with the scooter in the garage downstairs, but that probably made it harder than it needed to be. I really want new boots though, I wore my old docs, and they are on their last legs

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerMidget View Post
    ... I really want new boots though, I wore my old docs, and they are on their last legs
    Find a good shoe repair shop ... and get an extra layer of sole on those Doc's ... A good help with the altitude impaired (short) riders ...

Cost will usually be half the price of a new pair ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    NC30 VFR400
    I've got my eye on a pair of sidi boots, on FC Moto. Just have to wait til I have a bit of coin free before I order them.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-442668744.htm

Thats a good little bike with nice 250 power.Seat width and height would be good for shorter rider also.

Congrates on test
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    NC30 VFR400
    Thanks

Already on the watch list

Bike
    Suzuki
    For what it's worth (and I think it's been mentioned already), try the Honda VTR250 on for size. A mate of mine has been riding one up until recently (traded to a GSX-R 600 with shaved seat!) and he loved it. He's very similar in height to you - he couldn't flatfoot it (unless he moved in the seat) but found that it was light enough that he could get it around and it went well in the twisties and ok on the open road.

Bike
    NC30 VFR400
    Thats what I'm looking for now. Gonna head out to TSS as soon as I have af ree afternoon, and see how that goes. There are a few possibilities at this stage.

Bike
    Repsol something or other
    I felt like a bit of a dick tbh, The others turned up in hoodies and jeans, and I wore jeans and my leather jacket. Adding the pants might have been a bit over kill. Hahaha.

The cone slalom was a bit of a pain in the ass the first couple of times, cos I couldn't go slow enough yet keep the revs up. I had a bit of a practise the other day with the scooter in the garage downstairs, but that probably made it harder than it needed to be. I really want new boots though, I wore my old docs, and they are on their last legs
    Tbh good on you for dressing sensibly. Bikes tend to feel more stable with trailing throttle or trailing rear brake. So slow corners like cones will be a lot easier if you ride the rear brake. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    AX100
    Quote Originally Posted by baffa View Post
    Tbh good on you for dressing sensibly. Bikes tend to feel more stable with trailing throttle or trailing rear brake. So slow corners like cones will be a lot easier if you ride the rear brake. Practice makes perfect.
    +1 this (10char)

Bike
    NC30 VFR400
    I figured that out in the end. I wanna play with corners now! I need to win lotto. Or find a rich husband. shame about the husband part o that

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by baffa View Post
    +2

And slip the clutch. Practice setting the throttle so it stays about 2000 - 2500rpm and try to keep it there, (one less variable you need to handle) and then slip the clutch to get the drive you want. You'll notice that letting the clutch out a fraction to get drive helps stand the bike up coming out of a slow corner, easing it in slows the bike up and allows you to dip into the next.

Keeping a little pressure on the back brake through all this tends to make the other inputs less critical and stabilises the bike. It actually has a real-life application, there's plenty of situations where trail braking the back brake and using the clutch to regulate drive works better than using just the throttle.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    OHMYGOD why has nobody yet mentioned Scorpios?

Buy a Yamaha Scorpio, GingerMidget.

Have a ride on one before you buy anything else, anyway. (Try and imagine it with flat bars.)
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    Mom on here had the soles of her boots altered to give her just that little bit more "reach" with good results.
    Yeah, worked a treat. Good comment about adjusting the gear lever too. We did, but forgot the brake lever Good fun times at the first set of lights I came to

Keep in mind, I'm 5"2 on a really good day. I live up to my name.
    If you decide to go the Virago way let me know, I have a very short friend who is selling hers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    NC30 VFR400
    I've decided to wait for lams, and buy a monster 400. If I can find one in good enough condition. This gives me time to save, pay off other stuff, and just generally get my shiz sorted. I had a real good look at a 620 dark yesterday, but in the instincts of self preservation, I won't be buying a 600 straight away, despite the fact I may be able to ride it legally. Going from a scooter to a 600 just seems like a good way to die.

As I said to someone else, even I'm not THAT retarded!

Thread Information