Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Highway Warning

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    It's a numbered highway - so NZTA
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Aprilia RSV1000R
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    You don't want to know what it was like to ride in 35+ degrees and NO chip at all...
    The exact reason why during summer it's best to get out there before the sun gets too hot. That's until they start to reseal sections in fun parts of the journey...

Doesn't worry me now - I've found a new favourite road that's every bit as good (if not better) and gets less use than SH43.
    'He's a simple man, with a heart of gold in a complicated land...' Working Class Man - Jimmy Barnes

Bike
    BMWR1100RS,
    Quote Originally Posted by Movistar View Post
    The exact reason why during summer it's best to get out there before the sun gets too hot. That's until they start to reseal sections in fun parts of the journey...

Doesn't worry me now - I've found a new favourite road that's every bit as good (if not better) and gets less use than SH43.
    Tease, just tell me, it'll be our secret
    Oh bugger

Bike
    Aprilia RSV1000R
    Quote Originally Posted by martybabe View Post
    Tease, just tell me, it'll be our secret
    Hmmm, alright then: Turn left at the ugly river and head to where Turi sprained his foot and it became stiff and made him lame (his foot I'm talking about!).

Don't want to make it too obvious - remember there's not a lot of traffic on this road so it would be nice to keep it that way!

If you can't work it out we'll go for a ride there some day soon, Mart. It's been too long since we've done that ayway
    'He's a simple man, with a heart of gold in a complicated land...' Working Class Man - Jimmy Barnes

Bike
    BMWR1100RS,
    Quote Originally Posted by Movistar View Post
    Hmmm, alright then: Turn left at the ugly river and head to where Turi sprained his foot and it became stiff and made him lame (his foot I'm talking about!).

Don't want to make it too obvious - remember there's not a lot of traffic on this road so it would be nice to keep it that way!

If you can't work it out we'll go for a ride there some day soon, Mart. It's been too long since we've done that ayway
    Cripes, Mr cryptic I know it well as it happens. The camp-site at the lame place does good cheap Kai. ever done the right turn after the left at the ugly river? quite fancy making a loop of that but I don't know if it be gravel down that way.
    Oh bugger

Bike
    Aprilia RSV1000R
    Cripes, Mr cryptic I know it well as it happens. The camp-site at the lame place does good cheap Kai.
    Sure does

The best part is, you can take the gravel road in and the long way home if you choose; or not.

Thought you may have ventured that way already. Beautiful part of the country - the journey and the destination!

ever done the right turn after the left at the ugly river? quite fancy making a loop of that but I don't know if it be gravel down that way.

Not sure about that road, I would say it would be mostly gravel, but I am guessing. Will ask when at the servo out that way next, they're sure to know.

Bike
    2004 R1200GS
    Did Chateau-Plataeu yesterday, the road is fine. Gravel section is hard packed and easy. LOTS of camper vans though.... be careful in the narrow bits.
    Him mit der R1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelende Strasse

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Went through on Thursday afternoon, what an awesome piece of road. Wasn't as difficult as the bar room legends had made it out to be. Others at the Whangamomona pub said its in a lot better shape than it was when they went through three years ago. Someone said a 1098 had biffed it up the road on an especially slippery patch but me and my mate didn't find anything too worrysome above the normal level of respect for wet shiney tar bleed. Gravel section was packed down hard like concrete almost, prob due for a grade soon... Will hvae to go back again and stay night at the pub and explore more from there.

Some pics from Whangamomona http://www.flickr.com/photos/media-r...7632359963147/

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmatt View Post
    Rode it on Wedensday in nice warm weather.
    Probably half of it was basically liquid tar. My bike, bag and gear got absolutely covered in tar and i am still finding tarry stones in all sorts of places.
    Not impressed to say the least
    My condolences, I understand that would be a piss-off. Us locals avoid it in the wet and on very hot days.

Congratulations on keeping everything upright in the circumstances. (Every little cloud etc...)
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    How did those that went through find the railway level crossings? There are no trains as such running any more but you now have to look out for hi-rail golf carts which legally, because they are on rail, have the right of way. Haven't been right through for a while myself but all the level crossing signage should be in place.

Tours on rail are run as per this website http://www.forgottenworldadventures.co.nz/
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    None any more
    I'm intrigued by those golf cart thingos. Presumably these will be allowed to run in each direction. What happens when one meets another head on? What happens when both are going in the same direction and the second is desirous of travelling faster than the one in front? There aren't that many sidings now between Stratford and Okahukura.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    GL1800
    See www.forgottenworldadventures.co.nz

Note they have a West and an East tour, so I presume they alternate days thereby relocating the carts. They travel in convoy and I believe have a Guide ride in a separate cart thereby thwarting my efforts to attract them into the Matiere Club.......
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    Your mom
    NZ is not a hot country. We have a temperate climate, and there are many countries in which temperatures greatly exceed those of NZ, and yet they still have sealed roads without these problems. Take a look at the Middle East.

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    NZ is not a hot country. We have a temperate climate, and there are many countries in which temperatures greatly exceed those of NZ, and yet they still have sealed roads without these problems. Take a look at the Middle East.
    The Middle East not only gets very hot but very cold as well (desert climate) which means the asphalt is quite a different type to NZs.

Polymer Modified Bitumin is often used in road pavement construction over there plus geotextile due to the sandy substrate.

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
    The Middle East not only gets very hot but very cold as well (desert climate) which means the asphalt is quite a different type to NZs.

Polymer Modified Bitumin is often used in road pavement construction over there plus geotextile due to the sandy substrate.
    I've heard that moisture evaporating under the road bleeds tar up, is this true or false.

Thread Information