Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forgotten Highway Warning

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    You don't want to know what it was like to ride in 35+ degrees and NO chip at all...
    Was interesting being the chase car in the Silver fern rally on the boring (eastern) side...
    I love that road, ride/drive it as much as I can
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    I've heard that moisture evaporating under the road bleeds tar up, is this true or false.
    Moisture can cause bleeding but more commonly it's the binder in the asphalt mix being affected by high temperature.

Bike
    XR1200x, Triumph Speed Four
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
    Moisture can cause bleeding but more commonly it's the binder in the asphalt mix being affected by high temperature.
    And the binder that is used is then inadequate for New Zealand summer conditions. I wonder why that might be?

Late last Northern summer I drove from L.A up the coast road to San Francisco, across to Yosemite, down to Bakersfield then on up and through Death Valley, Vegas and back to L.A. While there was certainly the odd repair, not once did we come across tar snakes or tar melt of any kind and I can assure you that the temperatures were higher in many places than some of the high temperatures we are having in some parts of NZ right now.

It is utterly ridiculous to build roads that melt in 22deg of ambient temperature. Yes better materials are more expensive , but I do not believe that the Public Servant Wombles in Wellington or most councils are are taking sufficient cognisance of the true cost of ownership, that's of course if they done the sums to find out in the first place.........
    "Twilight's like soccer. They run around for two hours, nobody scores, and a billion fans insist you just don't understand"

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpy View Post
    And the binder that is used is then inadequate for New Zealand summer conditions. I wonder why that might be?

Late last Northern summer I drove from L.A up the coast road to San Francisco, across to Yosemite, down to Bakersfield then on up and through Death Valley, Vegas and back to L.A. While there was certainly the odd repair, not once did we come across tar snakes or tar melt of any kind and I can assure you that the temperatures were higher in many places than some of the high temperatures we are having in some parts of NZ right now.

It is utterly ridiculous to build roads that melt in 22deg of ambient temperature. Yes better materials are more expensive , but I do not believe that the Public Servant Wombles in Wellington or most councils are are taking sufficient cognisance of the true cost of ownership, that's of course if they done the sums to find out in the first place.........
    The USA budgetted $1.75 trillion to get their roads up to scratch starting in 2009 so they've been doing well judging by your trip.

In NZ the binder is meant to be stable at an ambient 30 degrees C and is virtually the same as the one the yanks use. They also make roads just like ours (Hotmix Asphalt) but do use other additives sometimes.

Bike
    hd dyna 08+06 griso
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
    The USA budgetted $1.75 trillion to get their roads up to scratch starting in 2009 so they've been doing well judging by your trip.

In NZ the binder is meant to be stable at an ambient 30 degrees C and is virtually the same as the one the yanks use. They also make roads just like ours (Hotmix Asphalt) but do use other additives sometimes.
    CAUTION CAUTION!
    Not just you be careful out there grasshopper, most roads about the Naki turn into tar lakes.

Thread Information