Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Highway Warning

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000

Forgotten Highway Warning

Rode it on Wedensday in nice warm weather.
    Probably half of it was basically liquid tar. My bike, bag and gear got absolutely covered in tar and i am still finding tarry stones in all sorts of places.
    Not impressed to say the least

Bike
    BMW R1200RT
    Was this new road works or tar bleed at the Taumarunu end. It's bad in the wet too.
    Ride it until the wheels fall off...

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000
    It looked like it was new but had been "completed" as there were no warning or road works signs or workers around.
    Alot of it was going up and down the saddles between Whangmongama(?) and Stratford.
    The cynic in me wonders if its a deliberate "traffic calming" exercise.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmatt View Post
    It looked like it was new but had been "completed" as there were no warning or road works signs or workers around.
    A lot of it was going up and down the saddles between Whangamomona and Stratford.
    You don't want to know what it was like to ride in 35+ degrees and NO chip at all...
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    You don't want to know what it was like to ride in 35+ degrees and NO chip at all...
    Well I didnt think it could get much worse, but you win

The unsealed section was bliss compared to that mess, no wonder it has a " High Motorcycle Crash Rate" sign at the beginning.

There is now also a fair bit of tar in a certain motel room in New Plymouth.

Bike
    None any more
    Rode in to Whangamomona from New Plymouth last week. There was resealing underway between Gordon Road and the Douglas railway crossing, and the whole of the Strathmore saddle had just been resealed. Other than that, the road was as good as always.

Having parked outside the pub I was advised to move my bike (please) and got a free coffee for my troubles. A long story involving a photo opportunity for two red Nissan 370Z convertibles, one of which was owned by Mrs Publican.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    It's all my fault. I must've worn it out when I rode it a few weeks back.

Sorry...
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    GL1800
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Rode in to Whangamomona from New Plymouth last week. There was resealing underway between Gordon Road and the Douglas railway crossing, and the whole of the Strathmore saddle had just been resealed. Other than that, the road was as good as always.

Having parked outside the pub I was advised to move my bike (please) and got a free coffee for my troubles. A long story involving a photo opportunity for two red Nissan 370Z convertibles, one of which was owned by Mrs Publican.
    It's a nice Z too, Penny's is.

Similiarly I rode the local route a couple of weeks ago passing 2 cars comfortably on the gravel - translating to a nice surface. Have you experienced the Rural Riders Rally thereabouts Hitcher?
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Other than that, the road was as good as always.
    Subtle that. Last time I was there was for the Capital Cruise... in the rain. Always an interesting road in the rain...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Subtle that. Last time I was there was for the Capital Cruise... in the rain. Always an interesting road in the rain...
    Even more interesting as a midnight excursion...wildlife galore.

Bike
    BMWR1100RS,
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmatt View Post
    I thought the same, it was crap in all the places you wouldn't want it to be crap, coincidence? maybe, dunno but I shan't bother again for a while, much better roads to heading for at the moment.
    Oh bugger

Bike
    > 1 < 10
    chateau to the plateau goin thru there tomorrow..............anyone ridin down in the morn
    ***** POLITICIANS *****
    People Of Little Integrity Thieving Innocent Citizens Incomes And Need Shooting

*******KASPA*******
    Knavery Artificial Spurious Pretentious Arseholes

Bike
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty View Post
    It's a nice Z too, Penny's is.

Similiarly I rode the local route a couple of weeks ago passing 2 cars comfortably on the gravel - translating to a nice surface. Have you experienced the Rural Riders Rally thereabouts Hitcher?
    Is that the Anzac weekend or the one they now have over independance weekend Pete ?

Could quite see Heidi and I doing Anzac weekend again this year, a little close to the cold duck and of course my aversity to camping, but it is a good (read small enough to enjoy) rally and the ride of course is superb !
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    GL1800
    The ANZAC one Bill, - likewise - it's a good size and well laid back - see you there?

O'night at Matiere if you like :
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000
    So I'm still cleaning bloody tar off things. Under whos' jurisdiction does this road fall?
    They are going to hear from me

Thread Information