Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: $500 late entry fee for Paeroa!

Bike
    Ducati's, Huskie's and Kawasaki's
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Not really the point is it?
    If there is a point I suspect it's on top of Gatch's head.
    "That's rooted!! What's next??"

Bike
    1995 Ducati 916 SP
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    I've only done the event once a few years ago, 3 days after dislocating a shoulder and generally battering myself in a road bike crash, so at the time I pretty much cruised around at the back of the field. I enjoyed myself in a part of the country I'd never been to but the results were pretty embarrassing so I just wanted to go back and give it a decent thrash. Who knows, I might still be at the back of the field but at least I could sign it off after giving it a proper shake.

It's got it's safety issues but it's a cool lil' track that I found more enjoyable to ride than Wanga's.

I had a great time in the S/I doing Clubman's at NZSBK and spent a few days between rounds in Queenstown with the missus where we also had heaps of fun. With that in mind I'd conned her into coming along to Paeroa (you know Hell is going through a cold snap when you see my missus trackside) by bribing her with the promise of a few days checking out Coromandel afterwards. But it looks like I'll be on a shovel doing the landscaping at home instead....bugger.
    The whole saga sounds depressing Spud ... It's a bloody shame it didn't come together for ya ... plus you could have called in to see me when you got to Whitianga ! I myself have passed on Paeroa for the last few years mainly because my bike got burnt to a cinder there in 2009 but also because I came to the conclusion that it's not especially good value .... ie cost vs track time. Factor in the carnage issue and the heat (waiting on the dummy grid in that heat just does my head in) I eventually decided that the cool clear seawater here on the Coromandel was a preferable alternative. However, having said that, I made that decision after about 6-8 yrs of racing there and will say without hesitation that it's farkin exciting, scary, sphincter clenching fun and I'm pretty stoked I have done it. ( Shame it had to end in a fireball but errr ... that's street racing for ya !!)

It would be a real shame to see the event dissappear ... it's clearly not what it was in years gone by but I reckon that's due to the economy rather than the meeting. In this age of pc crap it's awesome that motorcycle racers can still do something that has been happening here for decades. Support and saviour it boys, cos it probably won't go on forever and then it'll be just a memory.

But to your initial point spud ..... officious organisers etc ... well with respect mate, the entry is clear on no late entries and then she did relent. Obviously her mannerisms and customer service were not particularily great but perhaps she was sick of racers ringing her for a late entry, snowed under from doing her volunteer job in the orgainizing bit etc ..... just sayin mate ... people get pissed off sometimes when they probably shouldn't.

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Quote Originally Posted by gatch View Post
    Maybe I'm just slow, but why can't you cunts get your entries in on time ?
    Not the reason I'm not participating this year.
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    03 Hornet 900, 08 Daytona 675 race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Not really the point is it?
    Not the point of this thread but probably the point of having $500 late entry fee
    "You never understood that it ain't no good, you shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you" - Bob Dylan

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreama View Post
    The whole saga sounds depressing Spud ... It's a bloody shame it didn't come together for ya ... plus you could have called in to see me when you got to Whitianga ! I myself have passed on Paeroa for the last few years mainly because my bike got burnt to a cinder there in 2009 but also because I came to the conclusion that it's not especially good value .... ie cost vs track time. Factor in the carnage issue and the heat (waiting on the dummy grid in that heat just does my head in) I eventually decided that the cool clear seawater here on the Coromandel was a preferable alternative. However, having said that, I made that decision after about 6-8 yrs of racing there and will say without hesitation that it's farkin exciting, scary, sphincter clenching fun and I'm pretty stoked I have done it. ( Shame it had to end in a fireball but errr ... that's street racing for ya !!)

It would be a real shame to see the event dissappear ... it's clearly not what it was in years gone by but I reckon that's due to the economy rather than the meeting. In this age of pc crap it's awesome that motorcycle racers can still do something that has been happening here for decades. Support and saviour it boys, cos it probably won't go on forever and then it'll be just a memory.

But to your initial point spud ..... officious organisers etc ... well with respect mate, the entry is clear on no late entries and then she did relent. Obviously her mannerisms and customer service were not particularily great but perhaps she was sick of racers ringing her for a late entry, snowed under from doing her volunteer job in the orgainizing bit etc ..... just sayin mate ... people get pissed off sometimes when they probably shouldn't.
    Yep, all fair points Ed, which is why I'm not stewing about it and find it pretty funny in retrospect if not at the time, haha.

True, it was only one person, and she may well have been under extreme pressure, but there's no fighting my ginga genes and while it takes a while to light the fuse, once lit it'll damn near burn under water, lol. I wouldn't put up with that sort of response from a sales/service person at Harvey Norman during the mayhem of the Boxing Day sales no matter how cheap something was or how much I wanted it, and same goes for buying this product. Cutting off my nose to spite my face? Definitely, but I struggle with rewarding any crap behaviour.....except my own, lol. I acknowledged it was a long shot during my intial explanation and would have completely understood if all I got was a simple "Sorry, but no." Instead I copped a gobful before a very reluctant OK....and the program hadn't even gone to the printers!

I just don't understand the big deal about admitting late entries. I mean, we're all basically asking "Please can we can come and spend money in your community?" and isn't that the whole point of the event? (as far as Paeroa are concerned) As it is that's probably +$1000 the region will miss out when you factor in gas for my 98 guzzling 4WD (I'm sure it's part submarine and would like to submerge in the stuff), and 4-5 days accommodation/meals etc as we tour around Coromandel....and that's before the missus gets her freak on with the credit card.

I'm not even in the public relations business but the contrast in impressions couldn't be more striking for me: here you are a good bloke making a simple passing comment about hot weather and the cool clear water of the Coromandel and 99% of readers will be going "Hmmmm, that sounds great!".....you've made a positive impression without even trying. It's that easy! Contrast that with the impression I was given by someone in a front line position for the event. It's not rocket science, and it's not hard.

Probably just as well though Ed, knowing what's in your shed and having a trailer on the back, I've got a feeling I'd be asking for forgiveness not permission from my better half and living with the aftermath would have been painful on so many levels. I'll catch you there one day mate, and hopefully you can show me the fast way 'round what is a fun track for sure. Ripping down that main street at serious speed and peeling up/along that levee makes for a unique experience, and I hope the event continues to be well supported.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by wharfy View Post
    Not the point of this thread but probably the point of having $500 late entry fee
    Nope. They should simply state - "Late entries not accepted", instead of appearing to be just money hungry.

Thread Information