Thread: Another Mossy project

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries

Another Mossy project

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=476991782

Give me another thing to work on while im waiting on bits for the gsx to arrive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scooter.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	263850  
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Question

The scooter stats show a 4 wire reg/rec so any rr that converts 20-50 volts ac (yellow combosfrom) the alternator should work if connected that is a 4 wire system?

With the lamps blowing and now no power which seems likely to be main fuse blown and others stating online that they had to remove the 10amp main fuse and install a 15amp inline fuse in its place on this model it seems likely the rr is spiking excess voltage into the system. Would this be advised as a first step seeing as I prob have a rr that would work in the shed.

Note i havent collected yet im just fishing for ideas.

Previous owner claims head light lamp was blowing and then most lights blew and starter wont work now so sounds like main fuse blown. He also says the tail lights still work at the moment.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Previous owner claims head light lamp was blowing and then most lights blew and starter wont work now so sounds like main fuse blown. He also says the tail lights still work at the moment.
    Excess voltage may blow the bulb. Tail lights still working indicates the main fuse hasn't gone.

I shudder to think what condition the wireing is in. Check for shorting out (blackened wires) ... loose connections ... and botched/suspect owner done wireing.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Excess voltage may blow the bulb. Tail lights still working indicates the main fuse hasn't gone.

I shudder to think what condition the wireing is in. Check for shorting out (blackened wires) ... loose connections ... and botched/suspect owner done wireing.
    Im wondering because the pix I have seen online of the wiring etc indicates one fuse does the starter,indicators and lights and another does some items that dont require the scooter to be running like park light which would include tail light plus parklight bulb in front light. Its a bit of a guessing game till I get the bike but it does sound like harness short or excess voltage from the rr that started the lamps issue.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Im wondering because the pix I have seen online of the wiring etc indicates one fuse does the starter,indicators and lights and another does some items that dont require the scooter to be running like park light which would include tail light plus parklight bulb in front light. Its a bit of a guessing game till I get the bike but it does sound like harness short or excess voltage from the rr that started the lamps issue.
    I may stand to be corrected ... but dont the headlights require the motor to be running on some scoot's to come on ??? Only tail and indicators can work on the battery alone ???

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I may stand to be corrected ... but dont the headlights require the motor to be running on some scoot's to come on ??? Only tail and indicators can work on the battery alone ???
    Yes the bike doesnt turn over now that why I think it maybe the main fuse that runs starter etc. I see some people have removed the 10amp fuse cartridge and installed a inline assy with a standard 15amp glass tube fuse as a upgrade on these and the 125 4st. But cause of lamp failures prior to total loss is the tricky bit which kind of indicates a overvoltage burning them out maybe.

guy doesnt want me collecting it till I change the ownership otherwise it would be at home now and idd be testing it LOL.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Yes the bike doesnt turn over now that why I think it maybe the main fuse that runs starter etc. I see some people have removed the 10amp fuse cartridge and installed a inline assy with a standard 15amp glass tube fuse as a upgrade on these and the 125 4st. But cause of lamp failures prior to total loss is the tricky bit which kind of indicates a overvoltage burning them out maybe.

guy doesnt want me collecting it till I change the ownership otherwise it would be at home now and idd be testing it LOL.
    The solinoid switch (or the starter itself) may be dodgy ... if the starter is trying to drag more power than it should ... it may well be buggered. More than ONE issue involved I think.

Has it a kick-start ... ???

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    The solinoid switch (or the starter itself) may be dodgy ... if the starter is trying to drag more power than it should ... it may well be buggered. More than ONE issue involved I think.

Has it a kick-start ... ???
    Yes and you would assume hes tried that. hes also posted on a scooter NZ forum and fixa trying to see if other people have a fix for him in Feb this year but it seems nobody ever responds to fixa or the scooter forum. i found a few places detailing info on the fuse upgrade so it maybe a common issue on the keeyway electrics but not alot of info on lamp failures. Its possible the lamp failure was a seperate issue and just wear and tear before the no go happened. Strater motors for these arnt hard to find and alternators are $100. RR are as low as $30 so imhoping should be easy enough to sort. they seem to be a popular scooter with good power and you can get a 80cc upgrade kit for them. they look ok for a scooter also.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries

Got little guy home.
    Has remote start. Starter motor is a no go just clicking.
    Kick start 2nd kick and running so down the road I go. Everything works other than low beam light.
    had a look for starter motor and I cant find it from looking underneath. I will need google search it or look harder when its not dark. It may be under the belt drive cover behind the kickstarter.

Anyone familiar in the ways of scooters.

Aparently the lamps have blown a couple of times in the last 3 years so ill need check the rr output and maybe even just replace it.

Goes faster than I expected and hits 50km even with my 6.4 body on it but its not got much torque under powerband. Might like a filter clean out or am I expecting to much?

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Got it out. Was behind the rear hugger where couldnt be seen.

Also battery has gone flat fast. he may have charged it before i collected so ill charge it again and fix starter then see if its generating charge. Could still be looking at rr and or stator unless its just a bad bat.

Name:	starter 001.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	356.0 KB 
ID:	263921  

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Ok cleaned up and resurface comy.
    Ill try the reinstall and test tomorrow

Name:	st2 001.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	450.6 KB 
ID:	263922  

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Ok all back together.

I found the wiring issue. The start switch wasnt receiving juice from the ignition. Traced the cable which ment pulling off every fairing.
    The problem was with the remote start system so I have bypassed it so its key and start button like every other bike LOL.
    Ill have a look tomorrow to see if the alarm system still works after the bypass as it has factory alarm.
    Ordered a new headlight bulb for $8.00 which is the only cash spent. $158.00 all up plus lotsa time on the wiring.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Ok nice scooter now for sale.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=478648672

Name:	Keeway 001.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	697.8 KB 
ID:	264056  

Thread Information