Thread: Anybody messed with Kawasaki ESCS?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

Anybody messed with Kawasaki ESCS?

My GPZs ESCS unit is not working. Quick lift of the top and it looks rusted up. Are they a easy fix?

My guess is all they do is block the slow speed compression circuit to different degrees depending on adjustment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    bike sold :-(
    It's a long time since I worked on one but from very failing memory it blocks all compression damping with a smaller circuit. They rust up on older bikes so spray crc down it and hope for the best. The best fix I use to have from them was to disconnect them altogether and fit some proper fork springs as the only reason they where fitted was so that soft compliant fork springs could be fitted to give some fat American a smooth ride. Better springs and fork oil will transform the front forks on your bike, every race bike of the era had them removed if the race class would allow as the forks preformed better, just check that yours aren't locked on as the hydraulic pressure from the brake line can lock them in the on position.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Nah, mines the electric version. Guess its activated by the brake light circuit.

Bike
    I have worked on these as well, they still block off all compression damping and yes they do work off the brake light switch. As for repairing them good old crc again & if that does not work remove (note fork oil will escape when you remove it) go to wrecker get good second hand unit. gpx750's have the same unit as well as a couple of other kawas of the same era I think one of the 250 twins had them for a while as well. (what gpz do you have as they had the brake line type anti dive gpx's where the first with the electric version)

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by spanner spinner View Post
    I have worked on these as well, they still block off all compression damping and yes they do work off the brake light switch. As for repairing them good old crc again & if that does not work remove (note fork oil will escape when you remove it) go to wrecker get good second hand unit. gpx750's have the same unit as well as a couple of other kawas of the same era I think one of the 250 twins had them for a while as well. (what gpz do you have as they had the brake line type anti dive gpx's where the first with the electric version)
    Its a 89 GPZ400r.

Bike
    yep jap import explains why it has bits that the NZ versions didn't get till later.

Thread Information