Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Superbikes

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I want this guy to go buy a thou, then go out and carve up some roosters on their favourite roads.

Be funny as fuck.

Bike
    A few
    Oh my goodness gracious me !!!
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by skdeepak88 View Post
    Wow!! Racing 500 since 16 was awesome!! I dunno if you know about Indian roads. They are 20 times busier than NZ roads so when i say i got 7 years of exp in riding its on those heavy traffic roads.
    I have ridden 250s (Karizma, Pulsar) and famous yamaha R15 for a while. That is the reason i don't want to get a 250 because i know how they feels. I have never been on the track with my bikes but have done lot of illegal street racing
    Yea I know they are way busier, Was just wondering if you had much open road riding experience. Sounds like you are well practised and all the best
    Go for a 600. Be safe!

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    New ZX14R - that's the ticket!

or maybe a CBR600......
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    You and I are going to have fun.
    You going to meet him one night and do a few illegal street races in your usual haunts that would be fun.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    anyone expecting more out of Yod will be disappointed................
    all ready then? http://mediarhythm.net.nz/countdown/
    F M S

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    If your experience is the pulsar 180 - that's about 17hp. Most modern 600+ machines put out about 130hp. That's a hell of a jump.

I'd recommend a bike like an SV650S / ER6F if you want a sports bike to get used to:
    more power - 75hp is more than enough of a step up
    more weight

Also - do you have a full (class 6) NZ motorcycle license?

A hornet250 / cbr250 is about 40hp and another option.

PS: Don't do illegal street racing. It will only be a matter of time (little time infact, especially on a new bike in a new country on unfamiliar roads and driving behaviours) before you crash (or worse).
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by davebullet View Post
    If your experience is the pulsar 180 - that's about 17hp. Most modern 600+ machines put out about 130hp. That's a hell of a jump.

I'd recommend a bike like an SV650S / ER6F if you want a sports bike to get used to:
    more weight

PS: Don't do illegal street racing. It will only be a matter of time (little time infact, especially on a new bike in a new country on unfamiliar roads and driving behaviours) before you crash (or worse).
    Agreed, try a V-twin bike around the 600cc area. V-twins have a smoother power curve and more forgiving, plenty of torque.

Inline 4's like R6's have less power in the low revs, then hit higher revs they have a shitload of power, can cause wheelspin if you are in the wrong gear getting on the gas to early in a corner. V-twins are more useable and practical for road use. You won't have to keep revving the shit out of it. You can always sell it and buy a more sportier bike later on.

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    whatever you do, don't take the blue pill...err...don't get the blue powerband.....
    F M S

Bike
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 180
    Quote Originally Posted by davebullet View Post

more weight

Thanks for that advice.. The reason i didnt look for SV650S and like bikes is they lack in sporty look!! May be i am doing a wrong thing here.. But before i get one i would do a test ride, may be that helps..

I have ridden Ninja 250r which is about 40 bhp and i can handle that with ease so i need more power than that for sure

And regarding the licence now i am on restricted so i cant get anything more than 250 but i ll get a full licence in a week or so!!

Bike
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 180
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    Agreed, try a V-twin bike around the 600cc area. V-twins have a smoother power curve and more forgiving, plenty of torque.

Inline 4's like R6's have less power in the low revs, then hit higher revs they have a shitload of power, can cause wheelspin if you are in the wrong gear getting on the gas to early in a corner. V-twins are more useable and practical for road use. You won't have to keep revving the shit out of it. You can always sell it and buy a more sportier bike later on.
    Actually my mate got a V-twin (SV650S) i have ridden it and it feels good. There is nothing hard on that bike apart from the first time when i gave the throttle like how i give it to 250cc s or less But i got used to it afterwards and i liked it!! When taking about Inline 4's, i understand that it has definitely more than double the power of V-twins..

So my options now are one of those V-twins or CBR600 (as they are the forgiving machines out there in 600 class sport..). Will take them for a test ride and decide..

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    don't fanny about. just get this and get on with it: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-451933695.htm

Bike
    CBR600 F4, GT650, GT250R
    The reason i didnt look for SV650S and like bikes is they lack in sporty look!! May be i am doing a wrong thing here.. But before i get one i would do a test ride, may be that helps..
    Why bother with a test ride? Wouldn't a photo tell you all you need to know? (and then you won't have to explain to the shop/owner why you're riding their bike without the appropriate licence)

Bike
    Suzuki Gladius 09
    Double Oh dear, Im gonna keep my eye on this... for s & g's.
    "All people have the right to stupidity but some abuse the privilege."

"Loooordi Looooordi Loooooordi......another round of L's Angel's naughty corner"

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    I have ridden Ninja 250r which is about 40 bhp and i can handle that with ease so i need more power than that for sure
    Umm, sorry to burst your bubble....
    If you think a Ninja 250R has 40 HP, then you will get a real fright when you jump on a 130HP 600.
    Ninjas only have 28Hp. I know because I race one.

I recommend you start small, and move up. Learn to ride on our empty open roads properly.
    The best way to do this is get a smaller bike, and learn how to ride that with professional instruction. There are plenty of courses out there for this... Just look in my signature block for a good one....

Once you have mastered your smaller bike, then and only then get a 600.
    The reason is if you buy one before you are ready, you will always ride in fear of it and never learn how to ride properly.

There is plenty of time, don't rush it,
    You spend a long time dead if you get it wrong.

Thread Information