Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Superbikes

Bike
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 180

New to Superbikes

Hi Guys,

I am Deepak. I am new to NZ and before this i was in India. India is not the place where we can find lot of Superbikes but still i reckon i am a good rider as i am riding bikes for 7 years now. One of the reasons i came to this country is to own a Superbike. I dunno where to start with it. I would like to own 600 cc bikes from one of these manufacturers (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Triumph). Not just any bikes but only the sports type.. Can you guys suggest which one is best to start with ?? As far as i know Triumph is purely track oriented and its is likely that i wont get on the track for racing as soon as i get one of these. Please don't say, as i am a beginer go with 250ss Lets forget about 250ss for now

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    Riiiiigggghttt........

Bike
    CBR600 F4, GT650, GT250R
    This should be amusing...

Bike
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 180
    Quote Originally Posted by speights_bud View Post
    Riiiiigggghttt........
    Does that mean you are coming up with a suggestion for me ??

Bike
    2002 Bajaj Pulsar 180
    Quote Originally Posted by Methane_Birds View Post
    This should be amusing...
    Its pretty tough to choose an option when I know less about it.. So I leave it to you guys and ll go from there!!

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Go try a few out and see which you like best.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Most bikes in India are 50-125cc, very light weight and no high speed riding. What bikes have you ridden?

You're new to NZ, the roads are different, other road users are different. Try a 250 first (I was looking at bigger bikes earlier but decided to stay with the 250's for now and haven't regretted it. Try a Honda Hornet or Suzuki Bandit.

At the very least do some motorcycle handling courses in NZ, They will teach you alot about how to ride our roads safely. I plan on doing at least one motorcycle training course before sitting my full licence and I've ridden over 30,000km on the 250's I have owned aswell as riding bikes since I was 12 (raced a 500 since I was 16). But that's racing, riding on the road. Road riding is about survival first, fun second.

That's just my opinion, would like to hear what you bike experience is. What bikes you have ridden and what sort of speeds you usually rode at? city riding or out in the country?

Bike
    Various things
    Whichever bike you choose, make sure you insure it.

Bike
    Goose
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Whichever bike you choose, make sure you insure it.
    And maybe don't test ride it first.....
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    TF125
    Trust me, get a black Yamaha R6 and put some red flames down the sides for that super-custom look. Then get yourself some white boots and always maintain a classy hairstyle. Do these three things and you will be a kick-arse superbike dude in no time.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Wonder if they're already a member, in which case spank will identify the IP... hehe and combine identities.

Anyway, Deepak, if you want sports I suggest a Hayabusa, because you're clearly ready for it. If you didn't like sportsbikes so much I'd suggest a Triumph Rocket, it's engine is almost twice the size around 2L (the busa is only 1.3L)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Wow harsh audience in here huh. Whatever happened to 'benefit of the doubt'? The good ol' Kiwi way.

If indeed you are legit (and I have checked the 'Aliases' section in the Mod's forum and he doesn't show up there) and you have had 7yrs experience, and consider yourself a good rider, than a 600 sportsbike should be fine for you as long as you are a sensible rider. However the current laws here require you to ride a bike of 250cc or less for both your 'learners' and 'restricted' license periods so insurance and possible finance options will be limited.

However if you are still going to go buy a 600, may I recommend a CBR600RR? My fiancée rides one and it is a very easy bike to ride, one of the lightest in its class, with a reasonable mid-range as well. Good build quality, typical Honda really. Look on www.trademe.co.nz for options.

If you are a troll, then my loss. I got duped by a computer screen, woe is me.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    I have two questions
    What is your blood type, and are you a donor on your licence?
    I think you should just get a ZX10r - they are really learner friendly for a beginner to big bikes, and it will make you look like valentino rossi cos its so easy to ride!

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    Yeah you definitely need a thou to start on, just make sure you red line it in every gear to test that the engine is reliable.
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    the girlfriends 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    ... may I recommend a CBR600RR? My fiancée rides one
    Well, well, well.

Props for not being a conformist and proposing on Valentine's Day.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Thread Information