Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: DB1K - Dusty Butt 1000 2013

Bike
    800XC

Accomoation Booked

Accomodation booked

Now when, same as last year, work means I can't make it, who wants the accomodation - Woodman??

Bike
    Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Hiya Wade - et al - bush telegraph works well - yip, this summer I thought I'd do the Waiouru Adventure Ride - cost containment and still recovering my mojo - TAT still on my wish list - have fun on the awesome DB1k
    Sorry to hear that. Was looking froward to an annual catch-up. Bit worried I might be the oldest one there now I assume you are healing well regardless which has to be good.
    "Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill"

Bike
    BMW R1200GS hexhead.Suzuki DR650K6,CT110
    Quote Originally Posted by buggsubique View Post
    When's the Waiouru one? sounds tempting...if the AT is up and running by then.
    Hiya Buggs et al Waiouru event early Jan - I believe it's a fundraiser for defence people - I'll send you a PM with a link Matt

All - I rate DB1k as the best ADV ride bar none - this year it's largely about the cost of getting there from Wellington as we adjust to my reduced semi retired income - I'm an OAP in December
    those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind..

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Was looking froward to an annual catch-up. Bit worried I might be the oldest one there now I assume you are healing well regardless which has to be good.

Thanks Mark - I always enjoy time with you - collar bone healing well - a plate and ten screws!

Reach me by PM if you'd like to come up and do the Waiouru event early January

Bike
    Husqvarna 701E - WR250F - Can Am 500

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    Clint is right, Don't leave me to be ambushed - brings yas banjos ta drive em home afterways!

Cheers R
    Nope, im staying this time. I aint scared of no banjos & purdy boys
    Here for a good time, not necessarily a long time

Bike
    06 VFR800, 03 WR450F
    Quote Originally Posted by socialites View Post
    Great, now that the Date and Place is final, the accomadation is booked and paid for in Failie and Alexander, and we know the route is the same as 2012, the only question I have and this might not nessesarily be directed at cooneyr, is the following:
    Is there another organised ride from Christchurch to Fairlie like there was in 2012? and who was it that organised it?
    Guilty as charged
    I'm happy to again organise a Christchurch to Fairlie route for the Friday as per last year.
    Closer to the time I'll start another thread rather than hijack the DBK1 one.
    It will most likely involve meeting around 0900 north west Christchurch and doing similar if not the same route to Fairlie as per 2012
    Will have to do some work on logistics as last year keeping 50 odd riders accounted for was a bit like herding cats!
    Look forward to catching u all up then
    Cheers Matt
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room!
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends!

Bike
    Husky TC449, DR650 Adv.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsdakar View Post
    Guilty as charged
    I'm happy to again organise a Christchurch to Fairlie route for the Friday as per last year.
    Closer to the time I'll start another thread rather than hijack the DBK1 one.
    It will most likely involve meeting around 0900 north west Christchurch and doing similar if not the same route to Fairlie as per 2012
    Will have to do some work on logistics as last year keeping 50 odd riders accounted for was a bit like herding cats!
    Look forward to catching u all up then
    Cheers Matt
    I look forward to the details being posted Matt...thanks again.

Life is about having fun.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Crim View Post
    Accomodation booked

Now when, same as last year, work means I can't make it, who wants the accomodation - Woodman??
    If still available i will take it again this year my good KLR bro.

PM me the details etc

Cheers
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    the mighty SUPER SHERPA

Blah

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    All - I rate DB1k as the best ADV ride bar none - this year it's largely about the cost of getting there from Wellington as we adjust to my reduced semi retired income - I'm an OAP in December
    OAP in December !!!!!

Beats me by a whole 4 months ---you old bugger Steven.

Does,nt look like I,ll make it either.(to the "Dusty")
    Getting kicked out of the farm homestead by my son.And building a new whare down the road.
    Be too busy with a hammer & concrete mixer.

Oh! well ! --- Done it three years running. Three different bikes --Xt600 --Super Sherpa -- Funduro --

Funny thing Aslan ---I,ve got the TAT on the bucket list too. But looked @ so many ride reports on it ,that it could be boring actually rideing it, by the time I get round to it.

Talking of reports --Phreaky Phil,s TAT one was good @ ADV. --- Him ,Dawn & the others were probably lucky to get over the Rockies befor this latest cold spell hit.
    CHEERS AL.

P.S. --- TUCKERBAG --- often think of him
    .Swopped a pair of dry sox for a feed of cornflakes befor we left on the first morning of the 2010 DB.
    Are you still alive?? -- Or does anyone else know if he,s still kickin???

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by alane View Post
    OAP in December !!!!!

Beats me by a whole 4 months ---you old bugger Steven.

Does,nt look like I,ll make it either.(to the "Dusty")
    Getting kicked out of the farm homestead by my son.And building a new whare down the road.
    Be too busy with a hammer & concrete mixer.

Oh! well ! --- Done it three years running. Three different bikes --Xt600 --Super Sherpa -- Funduro --

Funny thing Aslan ---I,ve got the TAT on the bucket list too. But looked @ so many ride reports on it ,that it could be boring actually rideing it, by the time I get round to it.

Talking of reports --Phreaky Phil,s TAT one was good @ ADV. --- Him ,Dawn & the others were probably lucky to get over the Rockies befor this latest cold spell hit.
    CHEERS AL.

P.S. --- TUCKERBAG --- often think of him
    .Swopped a pair of dry sox for a feed of cornflakes befor we left on the first morning of the 2010 DB.
    Are you still alive?? -- Or does anyone else know if he,s still kickin???
    Hi Al - great to hear from you - good friendships forged on the DB eh?

Your neck of the woods - Forgotten World is among my favourites - keep in touch - who knows we may stitch something together for us 'senior' ADV riders

Yeh I read Phil's report last night - not sure I have the skill / gonads for some of the more challenging sections - eg where the navigation became suspect in Oregon - still musing on it and counting the cost

Stay in touch - send me a PM if you like see if we can 'hook up' over summer - Cheers Aslan aka Stephen O (old fart)

PS Tuckerbag last seen on the small bore challenge - Little Honda 2010 - had a Thai meal with him at Alex

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Speaking of Thai dinners where was there no place to eat when we arrrived back - some pub somewhere?
    Wonder if it would be worthwhile asking if the local chippy could stay open later that nite -or was there no local chippy? Can't remember - brain was frozen - thank God Struan was there to guide us home.
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    LOL, Ryan and I had tea in Omarama before heading in to the Black Forest. That worked out fairly well.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    LOL, Ryan and I had tea in Omarama before heading in to the Black Forest. That worked out fairly well.
    Worked out pretty well except I had to spend a bit of time talking to guy at Black forest and ended up riding back over mackenzies in the dark. Every time I touched the brakes my headlight dimmed. Now have led tail light!
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    Worked out pretty well except I had to spend a bit of time talking to guy at Black forest and ended up riding back over mackenzies in the dark. Every time I touched the brakes my headlight dimmed. Now have led tail light!
    About a windscreen?

Bike
    the mighty SUPER SHERPA

After dusty shindig

Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    Speaking of Thai dinners where was there no place to eat when we arrrived back - some pub somewhere?
    Wonder if it would be worthwhile asking if the local chippy could stay open later that nite -or was there no local chippy? Can't remember - brain was frozen - thank God Struan was there to guide us home.
    YEP! I agree Padme.
    If there is one thing that could be improved upon, its the finish.
    It all seems to go a bit flat.
    It,d be good to have a place to socialize ,debrief,& have a feed /drink.

Maybe a bit of a survey would be in order?

Perhaps its not happening now as those hero,s who do the organiseing ,live handy,& just want to get home?

It may be the "far & away" boys that should organise something.

Thread Information