Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought my first bike, anybody regularly riding over Port Hills? (Mushu)

Bike
    YZF-R6
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    I'm assuming you have an AE101/111 or two then? They...don't handle.
    Mind you, fun can be had in 'em (I had fun in an AE111 BZ-R once)

No need to prove yourself on the webbernet bro, we'll just troll you because we're jealous pricks who secretly have no bikes (shh, don't let on though)
    I own an AE101 but with the superstrut suspension it handles a fair bit better than my old WRX and almost as good as my cousins old WRX STI(WRX was V2 and STI was V3) but thats just my daily driver

The AW11 referenced in the last post (when it was edited) runs the same engine and gearbox as the AE101 but with a LSD a bit of trick suspension (hard as a rock)

Not trying to prove myself, just trying to get some advice to help me improve and find people to ride with cos all my friends think its dangerous or something

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushu View Post
    I own an AE101 but with the superstrut suspension it handles a fair bit better than my old WRX and almost as good as my cousins old WRX STI(WRX was V2 and STI was V3) but thats just my daily driver

The AW11 referenced in the last post (when it was edited) runs the same engine and gearbox as the AE101 but with a LSD a bit of trick suspension (hard as a rock)

Not trying to prove myself, just trying to get some advice to help me improve and find people to ride with cos all my friends think its dangerous or something
    I never felt that the super struts actually handled that well, but, I probably drive funny

AW11 + 20V? Now that's a fun package. Got pics?
    I've always wanted to buy an AW and make a 7age and drop it in, but I've never got around to it
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc
    Hi Mushu

I just recently purchased a 2008 250 Ninja that happens to be green and am also riding around on L Plates in Christchurch.

I keep getting texts from my friends saying was that you on so and so street?
    Today it was Petersborough street and the other day it was somewhere out in Marshlands but in both cases i believe its you!!

Haha, we should go for a ride some time??

P.S
    Nice bike choice!

Bike
    YZF-R6
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer nz View Post
    Hi Mushu

I just recently purchased a 2008 250 Ninja that happens to be green and am also riding around on L Plates in Christchurch.

I keep getting texts from my friends saying was that you on so and so street?
    Today it was Petersborough street and the other day it was somewhere out in Marshlands but in both cases i believe its you!!

Haha, we should go for a ride some time??

P.S
    Nice bike choice!
    I think I may have seen you around, or maybe the double that you thought was me, actually my ninja is black but I get the same thing, every one says they saw me in some pretty random places theres even one that comes by my pl quite often and people keep asking why I ride past and don't stop.

I'm definatly up for that ride pretty much anytime.

I never felt that the super struts actually handled that well, but, I probably drive funny

AW11 + 20V? Now that's a fun package. Got pics?
    I've always wanted to buy an AW and make a 7age and drop it in, but I've never got around to it
    The trick to the 101 is to keep the revs as high as possible and be very carful not to let the inside wheel slip too much I find it's the brakes that let it down (and ABS makes it worse). I have also found that the levin seems to be quite dependant on the tyres, used to run Potenza RE01s all round but they discontinued them and the replacement (RE02) are way too expensive for my daily driver so I went for some cheaper tyres (maxxis something) and my cornering speeds in the dry have dropped around 10%, not that it matters on the DD but it hasn't really been up the hills since the tyre change (in the wet the effect is reversed)

the adub, I'm always happy to show that off, pics below.
    Like I said earlier, not pretty, but thats not why I bought it (also the plates were the POs and I gave them back when I bought the car)
    although its a bit tempremental at the moment, a small electrical drama (that I hope will be fixed by the alternator I just paid $400 for) and a small oil leak and I have to get the (more reliable) Levin sorted first, but hopefully I can get it back on the rd in about a month

Best engine for the AW would be 2ZZ-GE from the latest model celica but good luck finding a LSD for the gearbox, there is atleast one of these getting around NZ iirc a guy from MR2OC NZ forums named Psycho Hamster built it then sold it to a guy called Flying Wedge (I missed out on buying it by less than a week )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0020.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	474.7 KB 
ID:	262061   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0016.jpg 
Size:	585.6 KB 
ID:	262060   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0013.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	507.6 KB 
ID:	262059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0012.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	419.6 KB 
ID:	262058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0023.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	389.6 KB 
ID:	262057   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0021.jpg 
Size:	489.2 KB 
ID:	262056  

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    i could be keen for a blast through the hills sometime

Bike
    YZF-R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    i could be keen for a blast through the hills sometime
    Maybe someone should start a Ride over the Hills thread

Bike
    I think I may have seen you around, or maybe the double that you thought was me, actually my ninja is black but I get the same thing, every one says they saw me in some pretty random places theres even one that comes by my pl quite often and people keep asking why I ride past and don't stop.

I'm definatly up for that ride pretty much anytime.

Haha i was sure it was you!
    Well if its black i saw you parked in sumner by the park then lol, but i am starting to think there is more ninjas then i imagined floating around Christchurch!

Awesome if its good weather ill be out this weekend and would be keen to explore more of the hills.

Bike
    YZF-R6
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer nz View Post
    Haha i was sure it was you!
    Well if its black i saw you parked in sumner by the park then lol, but i am starting to think there is more ninjas then i imagined floating around Christchurch!

Awesome if its good weather ill be out this weekend and would be keen to explore more of the hills.
    I was in sumner on monday last week, good spotting.

Yea I been seeing quite a few, mines special though I have yet to find anyone else that paid the extra 1k for FI

I'll be up the hill for a quick lap in about 2 hours, but I gotta try get the sparky out to have a look at some stuff so I wont be hanging around too long.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi

The trick to the 101 is to keep the revs as high as possible and be very carful not to let the inside wheel slip too much I find it's the brakes that let it down (and ABS makes it worse). I have also found that the levin seems to be quite dependant on the tyres, used to run Potenza RE01s all round but they discontinued them and the replacement (RE02) are way too expensive for my daily driver so I went for some cheaper tyres (maxxis something) and my cornering speeds in the dry have dropped around 10%, not that it matters on the DD but it hasn't really been up the hills since the tyre change (in the wet the effect is reversed)

the adub, I'm always happy to show that off, pics below.
    Like I said earlier, not pretty, but thats not why I bought it (also the plates were the POs and I gave them back when I bought the car)
    although its a bit tempremental at the moment, a small electrical drama (that I hope will be fixed by the alternator I just paid $400 for) and a small oil leak and I have to get the (more reliable) Levin sorted first, but hopefully I can get it back on the rd in about a month

Best engine for the AW would be 2ZZ-GE from the latest model celica but good luck finding a LSD for the gearbox, there is atleast one of these getting around NZ iirc a guy from MR2OC NZ forums named Psycho Hamster built it then sold it to a guy called Flying Wedge (I missed out on buying it by less than a week )
    I could count on my left hand how many Japanese cars with Japanese brakes have impressed me in the slowing down department haha
    I've had experience with the RE-01, the RE-01R was a bloody great bit of rubber, especially for the money and it is a terrible shame the 02 is so bloody pricey!
    Ran RE-01Rs on an E36, made a huge difference over the mid-range shit it had, not as much fun really though because it didn't slide as nicely (mind you, you got from A-B a shit load faster )
    I always like the 01R in the wet

I think I saw that AW on TardMe ages ago? From memory it's a silver top? Must be seriously fun. I have a mate up here restoring an NZ new F/L N/A one, it's bloody tidy and going to be a beaut when it's done.
    2ZZ? Might as well get an Elise
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    YZF-R6
    I think I saw that AW on TardMe ages ago? From memory it's a silver top? Must be seriously fun. I have a mate up here restoring an NZ new F/L N/A one, it's bloody tidy and going to be a beaut when it's done.
    2ZZ? Might as well get an Elise
    When I bought it it wasn't put on trade me (found it on MR2OC NZ) I actually got it from the ex pres of MR2OC about 2 or 3 months ago
    and I'm pretty sure he had it for atleast a couple of years, if you look up the old rego [MR24ME] on youtube there are a couple of vids of it at a grasskhana (back when it was white, it is the same car - bodykit gives it away)

I'd love an Elise but I couldn't just have a normal one, it would have to be either a 111R or an Exige

Bike
    I was in sumner on monday last week, good spotting.

Yea I been seeing quite a few, mines special though I have yet to find anyone else that paid the extra 1k for FI

I'll be up the hill for a quick lap in about 2 hours, but I gotta try get the sparky out to have a look at some stuff so I wont be hanging around too long.

Cant get up the hill tonight unfortunately!
    Im not very mechanical minded im just learning all the basic servicing stuff at the moment so when you say FI im assuming that means Fuel injected? If so thats sick man.

Bike
    450EXC, V-Strom

My question is this: My best bet for riding in at the moment are obviously the hiking boots. Would there be any significant gain (in either safety or comfort) to warrant buying 'proper' riding boots
    I ride in both, I choose the tramping boots for short hops around town or if there is likely to be walking involved, otherwise my motorcycle boots.
    As long as the tramping boots are leather and cover your ankles, IMHO they are fine. What you gain in shin protection you lose in foot dexterity :shrug:

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    LOL,
    You call that a fast corniering car
    R O T F L M H O
    I had a 1972 P510H SSS that use eat the best of those toymotas,
    without the need to go into the dogleg fifth gear,
    Now if you dont know what a 72P510H SSS is,
    Then slow down on that bike, because you have never been around a corner very fast at all.
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    08 harley fxdf
    Or were you just upset I said I would never ride a H-D, don't misunderstand and think I don't like Harleys, they are impressive in pretty much every way definatly look and sound better than pretty much anything from japan or italy but as I said before I love corners and the way it goes is far more important for me

no not upset i was suprised that
    a- you have an opinon on them and you a have just got your 1st bike and

b- never ridden 1

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiwi View Post
    I ride in both, I choose the tramping boots for short hops around town or if there is likely to be walking involved, otherwise my motorcycle boots.
    As long as the tramping boots are leather and cover your ankles, IMHO they are fine. What you gain in shin protection you lose in for dexterity :shrug:
    I ride in both, have come off three times, once in riding boots, twice in steel toes/hiking boots.
    I've broken my right ankle in some way shape or form twice, both times without riding boots on just hiking boots or my steel toe babies.

Quote Originally Posted by jimichelle View Post
    Or were you just upset I said I would never ride a H-D, don't misunderstand and think I don't like Harleys, they are impressive in pretty much every way definatly look and sound better than pretty much anything from japan or italy but as I said before I love corners and the way it goes is far more important for me

no not upset i was suprised that
    a- you have an opinon on them and you a have just got your 1st bike and

b- never ridden 1
    I've ridden quite a few, there are only two I'd own.
    XR1200 and a very early single seat Sporty, in silver with chrome. Because they both look tits!

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Thread Information