Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda CBX550f fairing

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I had a Boldor 750 which is basically cbx750 with full fairings.It even had heater vents.That handled very well.
    Have had a couple of VF750Fs also now they really hated tires that wernt in good nick.Think the v4 torque and heavy engine made them that way if the tires wernt good they seemed to flex and wobble.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    Think the v4 torque and heavy engine made them that way if the tires wernt good they seemed to flex and wobble.
    I think it was more the chassis geometry, and the weight distrubution in those days.... The *cough* V3 2T didn't have a lot of torque...

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Cool, thanks for your replies. It sounds like it will be a good chance for me to learn how to work on a bike, which I've been wanting to do, but my damn cb 250 seems to just keep going, for which I am thankful.
    The cbx is a pretty cool bike, I'm probably picking it up tomorrow
    Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed to so few by so many cheese eating surrender monkeys.
    (Winston Churchill on the French.)

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Hi Spazman.To convert the faired CBX550 to the unfaired version isn't super difficult but isn't just a simple matter of undoing some bolts.
    The parts you will need are.
    2x standard handlebar mount mirrors
    1xcbx550 headlight shell or a complete aftermarket HD headlight.
    preferably CBX550 headlight bracketry and asociated rubber plugs.
    If not after market brackets will do.

You first remove the headlight rim/glass by undoing the mounting screws and unplug the wiring.
    Once thats out youll need to unplug the two indicators and unbolt them from the fairing.
    Check that all wiring is unclipped from the fairing and pulled through the holes.
    You now need to unbolt the two side brackets for the fairing followed by the two big mounting bolts -the fairing will now be off.
    If using the factory brackets then you will see the mounting points under the top triple clamp and in the bottom clamp
    You will need to remove the top clamp or at the least raise it enough to fit the brackets.
    If aftermarket then you can undo them and bolt them to the forks.
    The indicators will hang off the factory brackets -if aftermarket youll need to either drill/mount to the brackerts or hang accessory brackets down below.
    Tuck the wiring into the headlight making sure it doesn't unplug when you turn the steering.

Alternatively--Buy a lower screen from visual plastics in Hamilton.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Awesome, thanks Frosty.
    Doesn't sound too far out of my skill level.
    Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed to so few by so many cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Walking back from lunch today I stopped in to find a bike mag for the weekend & saw Practical Sportsbikes have a modern day comparo between the CBX550, GSX550 & GPz550. So I grabbed it, although really for the YPVS specials feature, but thought you may be interested.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    How many kms i had a cbx 400 fc and the cbx 550 was the big brother too mine

liked the cross over pipes apprently this was same as orginal cb 400f which they say was awsome bike that was 70,s model

i brought my little cbx brand new in 83 , only had to replace the cam chain in 4 years owned it did 44,000 km

also mine got misture in prolink swing arm bearings and had sqeak when sat on the bike so put grease nipples to fix it

got freind that got cbx 550 he might have parts think his out action

also the cbx 550 faired model called the f2 thats how you know thats got full fairing its frame mounted i think seen one on trademe for sale awhile back and was one in wanganui i had bid on that being whole machine

i think white f2 models where quite rear . also the cbx 400 was production 400cc class winner , talked to guy that won it too he bet yam two strokes on it

apprenlty yam where not to pleased honda one the series hehe
    all the best with you new bike get the oil changed new oil filter clean the air filter get carbs balnced and be good runner

my cbx was always smooth as after tune up , i far prefered cbx 400 to my first road bike cb 400 n twin

had much lower centre gravity and was good handling bike , the brakes bit fiddly to take covers of as inborad ventelated disc

there actauly cast iron so honda said covered them to stop u seeing rust . they aslo had mechanical anti dive

which worked well , put like 12 psi in the front forks and metzer tires where good on mine i also ran coninetal rear at one stage

Quote Originally Posted by Spazman727 View Post
    Hey,
    Does anyone know how hard it is to take off the fairing of a CBX550?
    I'm getting one next week (hopefully, pending mechanics check) and
    a) the fairing kicks wind right into my visor opening, its as if it was designed so I couldn't use it with my visor open, and
    b) I think they look way better without the silly little fairing.

I've tried searching online and all I can find is that there was one made with a fairing (I'm assuming that's the f suffix?) and one without, nothing about how one would go about taking it off. I don't get the bike till next week so I haven't really had a chance to look at how I would do it on this particular one.
    Any advice would be great.

Cheers

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    I got the bike.
    Think I will leave the fairing for the moment as there are more pressing issues with it that I have to worry about. It's a fun bike to ride and way more comfy than my little CB250.

I got a pre purchase inspection and they said that the steering head bearing needed replacing soon, maybe at the next tyre change.
    On my first night time ride I discovered the instrument panel lights don't work but that was an easy fix. Then I found out that they oil light wire coming from the engine was detached, also an easy fix. The fuel tap doesn't work, i.e it will let fuel through fine but the off and reserve settings don't work. Not a huge deal since it has a fuel gauge, but still a bit of a nuisance which I hope to fix when I have some money.
    Now for the major stuff, the carbs leak, I assume the rubber diaphragm things are worn out. And the rear suspension is no good, it doesn't rebound when compressed. The manual I have says that it might be insufficient air pressure in the shock (it's air assisted) but also says that if it has low ground clearance when cornering that it probably means the spring is buggered, and I often scrape the centre stand going round corners.

So, long story short, does anyone know where I can get a cheap rear suspension set and carb diaphragm? I can hopefully install it myself.

Cheers.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I got the bike.
    Think I will leave the fairing for the moment as there are more pressing issues with it that I have to worry about. It's a fun bike to ride and way more comfy than my little CB250.

I got a pre purchase inspection and they said that the steering head bearing needed replacing soon, maybe at the next tyre change.
    On my first night time ride I discovered the instrument panel lights don't work but that was an easy fix. Then I found out that they oil light wire coming from the engine was detached, also an easy fix. The fuel tap doesn't work, i.e it will let fuel through fine but the off and reserve settings don't work. Not a huge deal since it has a fuel gauge, but still a bit of a nuisance which I hope to fix when I have some money.
    Now for the major stuff, the carbs leak, I assume the rubber diaphragm things are worn out. And the rear suspension is no good, it doesn't rebound when compressed. The manual I have says that it might be insufficient air pressure in the shock (it's air assisted) but also says that if it has low ground clearance when cornering that it probably means the spring is buggered, and I often scrape the centre stand going round corners.

So, long story short, does anyone know where I can get a cheap rear suspension set and carb diaphragm? I can hopefully install it myself.

Cheers.
    Carbs will be a a piece of piss to fix. SME will have the bits. Its probably the float valves or bowl gaskets. And my guess is the shock just needs pumping up. Im happy to come have a look if you need. Ive got a shock pump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ....try econohonda for the carb stuff...i just went through the rigmarole of changing the rear suspension on my girls bike...you can try putting air in, the valve is just their on the damper/spring body...will take up to 50+ ibs to be within its specs...dont be surprised if its poked though...like I was told on here...30+years old and getting older...I tracked a set down but had to buy a lot of other cbx spares to get one...see what Malcolm at econohonda has to say...he's cool to deal with

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Great, thanks for your help. It looks like I'm going to need a lot of this sort of help to keep the bike running sweet.

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Carbs will be a a piece of piss to fix. SME will have the bits. Its probably the float valves or bowl gaskets. And my guess is the shock just needs pumping up. Im happy to come have a look if you need. Ive got a shock pump.
    Yeah, in the manual it looks like the carb will be easy enough.
    Would pumping the shock up with a normal compressor work or would that totally bugger it?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Yeah, in the manual it looks like the carb will be easy enough.
    Would pumping the shock up with a normal compressor work or would that totally bugger it?
    Yes that will kill it.

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Yes that will kill it.
    ah, ok, in that case it would be groovy if I could use your pump. I can come to you if that suits?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    ah, ok, in that case it would be groovy if I could use your pump. I can come to you if that suits?
    Yup PM me. Im going out to the SME guy on Sat am if you want to see him about your carbs? He will tell you what you need. Im getting full carb kits. Little project for the weekend.

Thread Information