Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Honda CBX550f fairing

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMSec View Post
    ...you are probably thinking that it was the wrong thing to do, getting this bike, but when it is sussed it will be a cool bike...I chased the cutting out problem for a while, seemed to be fuel...buggered around with carbs, then petrol tap, then kill switch then bit the bullet, took F5 Dave's advice, tracked down a CDI/Ignitor...three second plug in job...SUSSED...not that it may not be carb float levels which is very critical to the running or shit in the carbs....as far as the shock goes...it looked like a fairly complex fix when I was lying on the shed floor looking at it all, but when I hoisted the bike on a chainblock, up to comfortable work height, it ended up being a piece of piss...maybe you can get away with cleaning the linkages up...maybe you need to track one down (a good one)...I took my girls out a few days back and running well it is a real fun bike to play on...
    You know exactly how I feel. I'm also going to try all this stuff, when I get the funds. Hopefully not much more will go wrong. I can handle one thing at a time, but when it piles up like this it gets a bit disheartening.
    It's nice to have you guys to ask advice from.
    Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed to so few by so many cheese eating surrender monkeys.
    (Winston Churchill on the French.)

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ....Im a good builder but a very mediocre mechanic and I felt pretty much like you do now when this shit happened to me...a few local eggsperts had a look and put it in the too hard basket..being my wife's bike it was pretty much a necessity for me to be seen fixing it...Im really glad I persevered on my own and taught myself a couple more things that it would have been so easy to pay someone else to do...the biggest help came from here...carry on...

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMSec View Post
    ....Im a good builder but a very mediocre mechanic and I felt pretty much like you do now when this shit happened to me...a few local eggsperts had a look and put it in the too hard basket..being my wife's bike it was pretty much a necessity for me to be seen fixing it...Im really glad I persevered on my own and taught myself a couple more things that it would have been so easy to pay someone else to do...the biggest help came from here...carry on...
    Thanks, I will carry on. My dad knows cars but not bikes but they aren't too dissimilar for his knowledge to mean nothing. I will carry on with it.
    Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed to so few by so many cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Finally got my rear shock sorted, thanks to Alec from SME and and Rob (nzspokes)
    Feels like a different bike to ride.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ....cool stuff...i have just returned from a couple of hours out on my girls one...best fun i've had in a while and it was all hanging around the speed limit range...did you get the running problems you had, sorted..

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazman727 View Post
    Finally got my rear shock sorted, thanks to Alec from SME and and Rob (nzspokes)
    Feels like a different bike to ride.
    Great stuff mate, glad to hear it.

Alecs a great guy.

Its a nice bike youve got there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ....cool stuff...i have just returned from a couple of hours out on my girls one...best fun i've had in a while and it was all hanging around the speed limit range...did you get the running problems you had, sorted..
    Haven't had a go at the carbs yet, need to wait till I get a bit more work to do those. Seems to start al right as long as I hold my mouth the right way.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    try turning the fuel top off when you park it and when starting. Its the float valves leaking so sitting you filling the motor with fuel. Which makes it very hard to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    try turning the fuel top off when you park it and when starting. Its the float valves leaking so sitting you filling the motor with fuel. Which makes it very hard to start.
    Ah ok, I'll try that.

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Turning the fuel tap off has helped with starting, but the rear shock has failed again, looks like I'm going to need a new one.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I emailed the guy in that ad to see if it still works. Will try some wreckers tomorrow.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Course he will say something along the lines of "it came off a working bike". . . (in 1989) so its a gamble.

Bike
    2004 DL650 VStrom
    Got a shock from a wrecker in Takapuna, seems to be good.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Excellent, buy local.

Thread Information