Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Continental Sport Attack 2 vs. Michelin Pilot Power 2CT

Bike
    Broken at puke. RIP... :(

Continental Sport Attack 2 vs. Michelin Pilot Power 2CT

I know, I know it's another which tire should i buy thread!!!

So after reading a bunch of shit today and thinking i should really get new tires to replace my old conti road attack 2's.

I've narrowed it down to these two tires in terms of performance and lots of people regularly giving them good reviews, both
    in terms of stability, grip, wet traction and life.

Has anyone used both of these tires?

I'm particularly interested in the Conti Sport Attack 2's as i really liked my conti road attacks but i want a little more dry grip.

As a general rule i try to avoid wet riding and rain riding but you don't always get what you want so it needs to perform well in all conditions.

Alternatively can you recommend another brand/model tire that will give me good grip and wear while being nice a stable like the conti road attack 2's.

I would consider dunlop as they appear to have some awesome tires but they also appear to be WAY out of my price range. I am looking up to Approx $500.

Cheers!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I've just spooned some Road Attack 2's on the Hornet - very impressed so far.

If you are going to a sport tyre from a sport/touring you'll notice a quicker corner drop-in as the sport tyres have a more agressive profile.

PS - bugger all 'decent' under $500 a pair unfortunately.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Im looking at these also but they havent arrived in the shop yet im not sure you will get a review on them yet from anyone.I could be wrong though maybe other shops have had them a while.
    what price did you get quoted for them?
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Sold
    You've got a light bike, so have a serious look at the Michelin PR3 - huge grip in all conditions and amazingly, a long life too. I've had all sorts of sport and sport touring tyres on my Blackbird and Street Triple and the PR3 is the best all-round tyre yet. My detailed progress report is here: http://geoffjames.blogspot.co.nz/201...-progress.html

Cheers

Geoff

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    I haven't used a lot of other road tyres (don't road ride much), but am completely sold on the Dunlop Q2's. Especially if you do the occassional track day (and having a GSXR why wouldn't you).

Good mix of road tyre with track aspirations, but built for the real world note they are not a race tyre mascerading as a road tyre.... I fitted them after a set of RS1/RS2 racetec Metzelers specifically for a bit better real life road speed / temp grip.

I've done nearly 2 seasons of track days on one set(!). Bike is completely neutral with them. No set up change from the Metzelers required and wear has been great.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    You've got a light bike, so have a serious look at the Michelin PR3 - huge grip in all conditions and amazingly, a long life too. I've had all sorts of sport and sport touring tyres on my Blackbird and Street Triple and the PR3 is the best all-round tyre yet.
    If they're better than a PR2 in the wet they'll be the next fitted to the 1125.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    A GSXR750 will overwhelm Anything 'Road' Anythings unless you spend all your time being frightened of the throttle and brakes.

The OP asks a good question. Pity nobody's answered it yet.

(I can't, because I haven't tried Sport Attacks.)

Edit: Most of the guys who can answer this are probably at the Taupo trackday right now. Should be some decent posts in the thread this evening.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    If they're better than a PR2 in the wet they'll be the next fitted to the 1125.
    Have never tried a PR2, but Avons are a great wet weather tyre and the PR3 is better than them!

Bike

Wink

Thanks for all the replies so far guys...

Being impulsive and me i have gone and won an auction on tardme tonight for a rear tyre. Woo!
    paid way more than i wanted to but still cheaper than new so im happy nonetheless.

Bought a Dunlop Sportmax Q2 180.

Now my current conti RA2 (road attack 2) has plenty of life and isnt worn so crazily on one side like my rear.
    Thanks Manfield!

I'm thinking that i should pick up either a dunlop sportsmart for the front or just another Q2.

Thoughts?

Also. The sport attack 2 can so far only be gotten from Coleman's for $650 a set. So that price put me off.
    Maybe next set will be them unless something else comes up but I'm very impressed with my conti RA2's.

For those wondering i have done 4 manfield trackdays and in total just under 10,000 kms on them. about 250kms off.

I cant fault the tyre. Predictable, when it lets go its easy to control. handled the track well and heated up VERY WELL.
    Had the same kind of tyre beading you see on superbikes after the later track sessions.

Potentially i could write a review but at the moment i am PUI. ( posting under the influence )

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by D3ADLYTuna View Post
    Bought a Dunlop Sportmax Q2 180.

Now my current conti RA2 (road attack 2) has plenty of life and isnt worn so crazily on one side like my rear.
    Thanks Manfield!

I'm thinking that i should pick up either a dunlop sportsmart for the front or just another Q2.

Thoughts?
    Get the same tyre on the front. Don't mix tyres, it'll fuck the way your bike turns. Depending on the mix. Some work better than others. Generally mixes of different brands are to be avoided.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Honda
    ^^^^ yeah go get a Q2 front to match the rear. The profile on them is very steep toward the edge to roll way over.

Good move though getting off Roads and on to sport rubber! It's a Gixxer after all and should be taken to a track. There seems to be mixed opinion on whether ST (Road xx) tyres are good enough but in my experience there's no comparison (supersport bike). On sport rubber you'll immediately notice the bike will feel light on it's feet and you WILL notice the extra side grip.

Q2's: On the road I have them at 36/42. There's plenty of grip for normal road riding and they'll last for ages. Drop them to 30/30 for the track.

Dunlop Q2s

Note 1: I thought Sportsmart was the UK name for a Q2? and the Qualifier II was the next tier down tyre, see here
    Note 2: Perhaps sport touring tyres work for heavier bikes, or for powerful bikes, or for skilful riders who think nothing of a bike that moves around a little... I don't know. I personally couldn't get heat into PR2's without dropping the pressures and then they feel really sluggish.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Im getting the sport attack 2 set on bike next weekend fitted price 600 for 190/50/17 and 120 front.Ill try them out and let you know what they are like.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by SPP View Post
    ^^^^ yeah go get a Q2 front to match the rear. The profile on them is very steep toward the edge to roll way over.

Good move though getting off Roads and on to sport rubber! It's a Gixxer after all and should be taken to a track. There seems to be mixed opinion on whether ST (Road xx) tyres are good enough but in my experience there's no comparison (supersport bike). On sport rubber you'll immediately notice the bike will feel light on it's feet and you WILL notice the extra side grip.

Q2's: On the road I have them at 36/42. There's plenty of grip for normal road riding and they'll last for ages. Drop them to 30/30 for the track.

Dunlop Q2s

Note 1: I thought Sportsmart was the UK name for a Q2? and the Qualifier II was the next tier down tyre, see here
    Note 2: Perhaps sport touring tyres work for heavier bikes, or for powerful bikes, or for skilful riders who think nothing of a bike that moves around a little... I don't know. I personally couldn't get heat into PR2's without dropping the pressures and then they feel really sluggish.

sportmax sportsmart is one up from the q2 as your link shows.

i got a sportsmart on the front and q2 on the rear and will replace rear with sportsmart when it dies hopefully another 8000+ kms. lol.
    depends on trackdays.

The conti SA2's look awesome and tread looks mint but ive done a shodded my bike for now so it will have to be next time.

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by D3ADLYTuna View Post
    sportmax sportsmart is one up from the q2 as your link shows.

i got a sportsmart on the front and q2 on the rear and will replace rear with sportsmart when it dies...
    Q2 (USA) and Sportsmart (Europe) are equivalent tyres for different markets apparently. So confusing.

Dunlop Sportmax Q2 (USA)... I had these and will do again unless S20 review in another thread is good

Dunlop Sportmax Sportsmart (UK)

Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier II (UK)

Email floating around the interweb from Dunlop USA:
    “The SportSmart is comparable to Q2. Both products were developed for the Sportbike segment. Both Q2 and SportSmart are outstanding when used on the track. Q2 was designed for US roads while SportSmart was designed for European roads. There is quite a big difference in road infrastructure and weather, which directly affects motorcycle treadwear.

In Europe, the landscape between regions just a few kilometers apart can be completely different. From narrow and twisty roads to cities mainly consisting of roundabouts. Roundabouts replace our traditional four-way signal intersections. Commuters in Europe subject their tires to more cornering forces while US roads subject tires to more braking and acceleration forces (stop and go).

On average Europe has 20-30% more rain days than the US. Also, gas prices in Europe are 2x higher than US. So Europeans tend to use motorcycles more for commuting. With this being said, the SportSmart needed to focus on European commuters with their wet twisty roads as well as track-day enthusiasts.

The Sportsmart will not be brought into the USA.

Should you need further information or assistance, please call Dunlop Consumer Affairs @ 800-845-8378
    or e-mail us.

regards,
    Virginia Gallant
    Consumer Affairs Representative.
    Consumer Affairs
    Dunlop Motorcycle & ATV Tire Division”

Bike
    ok so i ended up with a USA Q2 rear and a UK sportsmart front lol. oh well. they felt nice for the 6kms i rode home on them before weather turned to shit.
    Still interested in hearing about the sport attack two's once somebody does a write up for them.

Thread Information