Thread: Drag racing for the first time

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2

Drag racing for the first time

Any advice would be welcomed, tyre pressues launch tips etc , anything .....

Venue is Ruapuna on Sat 24th March , First timer.... taking my bike out to give it a go on the 1/4 mile , running a pretty much standard Gen 2 'Busa .

Bike
    1994 MotoGuzzi California 111 LAPD

First time on a Drag Strip

Simple advice - leave the bike alone !!!
    A 'Busa is plenty powerful and fast enough for a first attempt.
    First - talk to the experienced riders
    Second - talk to the experienced riders
    Third - watch the experienced riders
    Fourth - watch the experienced riders
    Fifth - learn the procedure - don't try burn outs immediately, on street tyres you won't need them
    Sixth - treat the Christmas Tree as a set of traffic lights - with a jump camera! but remember, disqualification doesn't hurt as much as a fine!
    "Ride" away from the line for the first couple of runs - unless you are good at wheelstands & rearwheel slides
    half to three quarter throttle to start, once you are moving, nail it but change before the limiter cuts in.
    keep it nailed through the finish line - then get on the brakes sharpish, at Ruapuna you've got plenty of room, but you have a "U" turn to do at the end! and remember the other guy !
    If the track is not bone dry, DON'T RUN - falling off hurts (and it's embarrassing!)
    If it breaks during a run, try to get to the side of the strip closest to you as soon as possible and stop. Trailing oil (or any other fluid) down the race line pisses everyone off.
    Finally, be humble - when you stuff up people won't laugh so hard!
    Now get out there and have some (legal) FUN!!

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    good advice there

Bike
    Hornet 600
    Hey, I was thinking of coming out to have a go to but I cant find what time competitors have to be there. Can you tell me what time I should show up?

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertwin Don View Post
    Simple advice - leave the bike alone !!!
    A 'Busa is plenty powerful and fast enough for a first attempt.
    First - talk to the experienced riders
    Second - talk to the experienced riders
    Third - watch the experienced riders
    Fourth - watch the experienced riders
    Fifth - learn the procedure - don't try burn outs immediately, on street tyres you won't need them
    Sixth - treat the Christmas Tree as a set of traffic lights - with a jump camera! but remember, disqualification doesn't hurt as much as a fine!
    "Ride" away from the line for the first couple of runs - unless you are good at wheelstands & rearwheel slides
    half to three quarter throttle to start, once you are moving, nail it but change before the limiter cuts in.
    keep it nailed through the finish line - then get on the brakes sharpish, at Ruapuna you've got plenty of room, but you have a "U" turn to do at the end! and remember the other guy !
    If the track is not bone dry, DON'T RUN - falling off hurts (and it's embarrassing!)
    If it breaks during a run, try to get to the side of the strip closest to you as soon as possible and stop. Trailing oil (or any other fluid) down the race line pisses everyone off.
    Finally, be humble - when you stuff up people won't laugh so hard!
    Now get out there and have some (legal) FUN!!
    Sage advice , Thanks Don

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Good day on Sat , first run for me, the newbie, was a 10.8 but I shut the Bike down before the cones a tad early at 400m finish - the sand trap looked awfully close at over 210 kmhs at the cones, I'll get my head around that with practise . Did'nt stay for too long but managed a 10.6 and then a 10.5 at around 135 mph.

Plenty of room for improvement at the launch stage for sure, my reactions are 'Ok' but I want to get it off the line and balance traction loss vs air time with the wheel and get a good start.

Bike
    A fast one
    So you have probebly realised it isnt quite as straight forward as it seems.!
    Just like road racing the rider needs to be consistant......before changing the bike. ... Once you can do it the same every time you will notice what differences changing the bike makes.
    Get as many runs as you can......... dont F**K around in stage (leave that to the pros)
    Find a stage process that suits you some (me) like to stage first) some second.............. but remember LOOK at your lights not the opponants or both.
    Pro tree is easier....... but a sportsman tree is even more important to consentrate on YOUR light.
    Dont become a "leg dragger" whether you start with one or two feet on the floor...........get your feet on the pegs ASAP.
    With a standard clutch set up (no lock-up/slider/etc) you will need good clutch control...... it will wear at an alarming rate if you do lots of runs in a day........ invest in a fan to cool motor (might need a generator too!) The more consistant you can make the process the quicker you will progress.
    As said on KB race to the bottom amber (reaction will take care of time delay) if you see the green...............youve lost............if you see the opponants RED youve won........... but witha shite reaction.
    Its addictive........................ only run streetbikes in competion and have a few trophies...... but have ridden some turbo/nitrious bikes on test days............... crew cheif for UK Supersteet / Prostock team for 12 yrs.......... miss it.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Some more advice in this thread... might help: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...w-to-drag-race
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information