Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: LAMS approved bikes

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swtfa View Post
    "The CBTA will be an alternative to the standard testing regime. Successful completion of CBTA
    in the learner stage will remove the requirement to have to sit the motorcycle restricted test to
    enter the restricted licence stage. Successful completion of an advanced CBTA will reduce the
    minimum time required to be spent on a restricted licence from 18 months to 12 months and
    will remove the requirement to have to sit the full motorcycle licence test to progress to a full
    motorcycle licence."

I have made enquiries regarding "CBTA" (in Hawkes Bay)and no one seems to know what I am talking about...
    Is this another Auckland thing?
    There are no approved CBTA courses anywhere in NZ. Basically someone has to come up with a course, and then pay to get it certified. As there isn't much money in motorcycle training, don't expect anything to happen quickly.

Perhaps the best option would be to get something like the UK AIM scheme certified here.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Glowerss View Post
    So the gist of things is, they rewrote the learner bike laws without any thought whatsoever to how you guys were going to enforce it? That's awfully kind of them.
    Add it to the list of hard to enforce laws that exist. So many things look like good ideas for the people writing them, but translate very differently to those standing at the roadside having the discussion with the motorist.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    And christ, you sure do know how to make an otherwise ordinary bike super fucking ugly. I commend you sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    So the gist of things is, they rewrote the learner bike laws without any thought whatsoever to how you guys were going to enforce it? That's awfully kind of them.
    Sorry to requote, just thought to expand on what I said.

How can I tell, at the roadside, the difference between a restricted and an unrestricted moped? One's a legal moped, unless it's over 2 kw, otherwise it's a motorcycle. It's impossible to roadside test it.

And the power assisted pedal cycle thing is even worse. How can I prove that a mountain bike with a motor is in excess of 300 watts?

At least with this LAMS legislation they have taken out the need for a roadside dyno. It's an attempt, but still challenging to enforce.

Most cops only know how to identify a motorcycle by the fact that it has 2 wheels. Anything more complex, like a brand or model, becomes challenging. They're going to rely on what is printed on the licence label, and what is on the computer.

Trouble is, I had a Piaggio Runner a few years back, 2-stroke beastly step through. On the reg label it was shown as a Piaggio, on the computer it was a Piaggio, but it was badged as a Gilera Runner. Now, you and I know that these are the same thing, but the average cop is going to think immediately that I'd taken the plate from another bike. It's not just that bike that's the issue, this just highlights the problems with vehicle identification.

Have poften thought about going back to one of them. It was a cool wee bike that could out-accelerate most boy racers.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    Perhaps the best option would be to get something like the UK AIM scheme certified here.
    The IAM system is here (and one of the few countries to have it outside the UK), but not certified (and I would imagine it would be hard to). It's all volunteer run (which also goes back to the costs and money)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    VFR

Submitting bikes for LAMS

Turns out, applying for a bike to be put on the LAMS list is both extremely quick and fairly easily.

I asked Suzuki NZ for official specs on the SV400s. They came back saying that actually NZTA goes to the manufacturers directly, and that you simply need to apply via filling out this form here.http://www.nzta.govt.nz/licence/gett...plications.pdf

Basically, you just need to print/sign/scan the form back onto your computer, fill out the model and frame numbers/specs, and then simply email it in to the website provided. I emailed it in late last night, and had an answer to my submission by 1pm today. Wasn't the answer I was looking for! but it was an astonishing turn around time. Less then 12 hours. Didn't take me more then 10 minutes to submit it in either.

So all of you in the "OMG how could they miss this bike!!!" crowd, go crazy. It's incredibly easy to submit.

A word of caution though, as you would expect, they are sticking to the absolute letter of the law. Even 1 kw over (as seen below) and it's no joy. I suppose they have too, but gutted all the same!

"Thank you for your application to have the Suzuki SV400 & 400S added to the approved LAMS list.

From the figures that you have provided, which I have also had verified by Suzuki NZ, these models exceed the power to weight limit for the LAMS requirements and are not considered as LAMS compliant

Power kW = 39 Tare weight + 90 kg = 257 kw per tonne = 151.75

Formula Used to determine kw per tonne:

power (kw) / Tare + 90 (kg) x 1000 = kw per tonne

Once again thank you for contacting the NZ Transport Agency."

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Sorry to requote, just thought to expand on what I said.
    But still wouldn't hurt to print a few copies of the list and issue "those that don't know" a copy. Maybe with a few key things to look for (like Max cc allowed for a start) ... and where to look on the bike.

But I assume the "learner rider stopped" may have to have an explanation, for whatever reason it was ... they were stopped for in the first place. What they are riding will be secondary ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information