Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Fast Eddie's Aprilia RS250 rebuild & restore

Bike
    Bikes!
    Yeah, not much squish effect will happen at 1.4! Sounds like you need some decent measuring tools for this one... something ain't round!

Has it been plated? Has the bridge been relieved? The ports chamfered?

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Yeah, not much squish effect will happen at 1.4! Sounds like you need some decent measuring tools for this one... something ain't round!

Has it been plated? Has the bridge been relieved? The ports chamfered?
    yea - worry about it after xmas and the nationals racing etc. Will get better micrometers and bore gauges. $$$

Has not been plated no, bridge relieved no and chamfered no. I have taken a little bit of meat out of the exhaust port but barely anything, it was smaller than it should have been according to book. Just trying my hand at blue printing. As far as the internal surface of the cylinder it should be untouched and clean. Either its not round anymore or one of the new pistons I bought is a dud (does that ever happen.. maybe?)

Bike
    Bikes!
    Nothing is ever to be taken for granted I guess.

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Nothing is ever to be taken for granted I guess.
    bingo,

maybe santa will bring me a decent micrometer and bore gauge, mine were cheap off tradme so probably not the best.. time to invest (always blame your tools fellas, lesson number 1)

will get back into this in the new year and finish it!!

in the meantime, those of you interested make your way to the Sidecar Racing thread in the Racing forum and keep an eye on it after boxing day - Will post up pics and videos of the Wanganui Street Races!

yee ha

Bike
    Bikes!
    I don't use anything special, just Mitutoyo gear. No idea if they're much good, but there's engineers on here so I assume someone will be along with that answer.

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    Your measuring gear is only as good as it's calibration... You need to get youself a set of slip gauges, or drop ointo a precision engineering workshop and they may have some you can compare your micrometer to. Telescopic gauges can be checked on a bore ring, but you have to be sure that your micrometer is calibrated 100% accurately at the diameter.

I'd check both max and minimum sizes each micrometer measures, as well as the size that you think your bore should be. wouldn't hurt to check in 5mm increments along the way.

Because you've bought 2nd hand gear you don't really know how old it is or how it was treated in the past, dropping it once or even knocking the spindle can be enough to bugger it for life. This is why i don't let anyone borrow my measuring gear...

I don't use anything special, just Mitutoyo gear. No idea if they're much good, but there's engineers on here so I assume someone will be along with that answer.
    Mitutoyo is good, its the 'name brand' to have, but as i said above, its how its treated that really matters

Bike
    Bikes!
    Good to know... I picked them based on George Henry selling them, and me having an account there

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Ahem.

Updates? Or I'm coming 'round when I'm down next month and fucking stealing all your toys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Ahem.

Updates? Or I'm coming 'round when I'm down next month and fucking stealing all your toys.
    He turned gay, sold the RS250 and bought a BMW with a pipe, flat cap and slippers
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    He turned gay, sold the RS250 and bought a BMW with a pipe, flat cap and slippers
    Explains the selling of the sexy flatslides
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Repsol something or other
    Poor form old chap

Thread Information