Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 05-07 Triumph Speed Triple suspension upgrade - anyone done it?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeen View Post
    Can you please keep this thread updated? Im interested what you come up with, just convinced my wife to let me get the Gel seat, suspension is on the Mod list.
    Will do. Am going to KSS to get it done. Could be a few weeks off if parts need ordered in. Taking in bike next week so they can confirm whats needed.

I had considered a Gel Seat.. let me know how that works for you - as I know the seat is hard too - after 2 hours I need a break. I had been told the gel seats go hard and deformed if left in the sun? but no idea if this is true?

Cheers.

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, FXR 150 Bucket
    DaveBullet just had his done by Robert Taylor. PM him and he'll give you his views. I just took mine out earlier over some really bumpy roads and the ride was horrible. I'd love to get the front and rear done but I can't afford it and I will probably be over capitalising on the bike.

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, FXR 150 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by mukup View Post
    Will do. Am going to KSS to get it done. Could be a few weeks off if parts need ordered in. Taking in bike next week so they can confirm whats needed.

I had considered a Gel Seat.. let me know how that works for you - as I know the seat is hard too - after 2 hours I need a break. I had been told the gel seats go hard and deformed if left in the sun? but no idea if this is true?

Cheers.
    I reckon the sargent seats look pretty good but they're really expensive.

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Front forks:
    Ohlins 0.9 linear springs. Traxxion pistons and a reshim.

Rear:
    Ohlins ???? - not sure what model. Was supposed to get a TTX36 but length was wrong. Got the next one down instead.

Rear ride heigt has gone down by about 7-10mm. If hasn't affected the neutraity of the steering or flickability.

I like a plush ride. The upgrade has certainly made a difference both ends.

Try jumping up and down on your foot pegs when riding. Before - the rear would move and the front was just wooden - different amounts of travel. Now both front and rear are equally compliant.

I've softened the front and rear a little (reduced compression damping) and its made it even more compliant. I wouldn't call it night and day difference (you aren't going to get car smooth on our roads), but I don't notice the bumps. I find I just forget about them and don't consciously try to avoid them.

Square edge bumps are still felt - but you never get the jarring through your hands, bucking bronco out of your seat.

The ohlins rear shows up the front - so the front stock forks are still the weak link. However - they are much better than before.

Was it worth it? Definitely. I'd recommend you get both ends done though. IF you only can afford one - get the forks done first.

Will post some pics of the shock so you can see how the resevoir is mounted (a nice tidy job).

What really surprised me - is not only has compliance improved at the front - but the forks don't blow through their stroke under braking. The pitch of the bike is maintained so you don't get any wild wheelbase changes going into and back on the throttle midcorner. Much smoother and easier to maintain your line
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    ST4s-V11 Cafe Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by John_H View Post
    I just took mine out earlier over some really bumpy roads and the ride was horrible. I'd love to get the front and rear done but I can't afford it and I will probably be over capitalising on the bike.
    Thats why I sold mine after i very nearly let it toss me off down the road around the east coast. Bloody great bike in every other respect though. I didn't want to fork any more money out on it. The new S3R looks nice though

Bike
    ps: wait to get your suspension done before buying the gel seat. I find my seat way more comfortable since robert did my suspension - as the suspension is now taking the bumps not my bum
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Meh, who needs suspension?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1009.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	261645
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    750 auw
    What's that, your office chair?

Bike
    speed speed SPEED
    Owl, Whats your seat? Triumph Gel seat or aftermarket?
    It's all Shits and Giggles until someone Giggles and Shits

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarka View Post
    What's that, your office chair?

Bursig stand

Quote Originally Posted by Geeen View Post
    Owl, Whats your seat? Triumph Gel seat or aftermarket?
    Sargent seat.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Meh, who needs suspension?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1009.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	261645
    One way to INCREASE your unsprung weight I suppose lol

Thread Information