Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pillioning. Is it discussed enough?

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Took the mrs for a ride today and i'd like a bit of advice. Doing some liberal overtaking she complained of helmet buffeting once we hit 106-107 (might have the 0 in thevwrong place there) so wondering what can be done about that. And she liked it enough that we're thinking of heading away somewhere for an overnighter for our anniversary. Any ideas for a nice place to go for a b and b, nice scenery etc for her and some reasonably fun roads for me? From auckland roughly an easy half/full day ride.
    Ciao Marco

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    As been said, a good pillion should hardly be noticeable. When on the back of anyones bike I imagine being glued to their back - hands on their waist and my elbows tucked in against my sides usually works well for me. When I have anyone on the back of my bike my main thing is to ensure they're not a squirmer. My son used to also put his hands on my shoulders, which I hated as it felt like he was pushing me down into the saddle. As the rider it is up to me to ensure I don't scare the shit out of my pillion, and all accelerating and braking is eased into considerably more. (Even for a girlie it can be painful being shoved into your petrol tank...)
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    Took the mrs for a ride today and i'd like a bit of advice. Doing some liberal overtaking she complained of helmet buffeting once we hit 106-107 (might have the 0 in thevwrong place there) so wondering what can be done about that. And she liked it enough that we're thinking of heading away somewhere for an overnighter for our anniversary. Any ideas for a nice place to go for a b and b, nice scenery etc for her and some reasonably fun roads for me? From auckland roughly an easy half/full day ride.
    advice.. dont do 106-107

you can get passt traffic just easy at slower speeds. Depending on your bike remember the pillion is pirched up in mi air and doesnt have bars to hold on to.

make it a scarey ride and before long you will be complaining that Mrs doesnt want to spend time with you on the bike

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    advice.. dont do 106-107

you can get passt traffic just easy at slower speeds. Depending on your bike remember the pillion is pirched up in mi air and doesnt have bars to hold on to.

make it a scarey ride and before long you will be complaining that Mrs doesnt want to spend time with you on the bike
    Yeah you're right, just interested why it affected her and not me. She wasn't phased by the speed itself, just the buffeting.

Cheers though
    Ciao Marco

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    Yeah you're right, just interested why it affected her and not me. She wasn't phased by the speed itself, just the buffeting.

Cheers though

sit upright at 150+ and see exactly how much you get knocked around.. it might surprise you.

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    A few

Cheers though
    It's just the effect of the wind going around your helmet, tell her to try ducking her head down towards yours and have a little faith at them speeds !

Oh and take her for a night at the Whangamomona hotel ! They say on a still night you can hear the banjos
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    2012 Striple
    Blog Entries
    I was a long time pillion, have only been riding for a few years and now I pillion my daughter, who is the same height as me.

As a pillion we had "codes" tapping one leg meant pay attention (I am about to move, you are riding like a drunk man etc)
    Tapping on both legs meant I need to talk to you, then we could do little hand signals for coffee, pull over now etc
    I have always held on lower hip, one hand on tank if going downhill in twisties.
    When sleeping I would tuck my hands under my thighs and doze off

Now that I have a pillion (what a bloody swift learning curve) we have been through

"Don't look around, ever, look over my shoulder a little or look at my back. If we are going left look over my left shoulder, right/right. Don't get on or off until you have tapped my shoulder AND I have nodded. Don't wriggle wriggle until you have tapped my leg AND I have nodded. If you need to stop soon tap both legs, if it is urgent just keep tapping"
    "Don't move if we are going slow at all"
    "Don't turn around and wave to your friends on the bus at the lights, mum will fall off and push you under the bike so it doesn't get scratched alright"
    yeehaaa sunshine

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwifruit View Post
    Yep, you know you're doing it right when they can't stay awake!
    you are talking about pillion??

just checking
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    I have always talked through what to expect with a new pillion
    and as many of us old buggers find out, a lot of women tried it once as a teenager and got harry hoon scare the shit out of them.
    My partner had never been on anything other than a pushbike, and fell off that so stopped riding.
    I take the view a good pillion is 'made' by the rider's teaching and input.. I know Mtrs and I strongly disagreed on this before.
    I will explain to them how cornering a bike works, what i expect and they need to do on the back when cornering.. I do not hold with, sack of spuds teaching... my missus was glad to know what to expect and how to react/behave.
    I wont take a newbie or a was scared off it straight out onto the highway... they are a learner, so I treat them as such... Partner was quickly at ease enough to go over the 'taka's at 'speed' and out on wednesday rides with the local KBer's on the 'rapa back roads.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    IMHO it depends on the bike a lot. Two up on a sports bike does not look very comfortable. I had a girlfriend who had a VFR400 back when they were the ducks nuts and I did not like going on the back at all. Two up on the Hog is not a problem, I just put an extra 5psi in the rear suspension and its all fine.

This was taken on a advanced riding course at Ruapuna. She who must be obeyed had no problems at all.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EPhotoMG_0218.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	375.2 KB 
ID:	262300
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Bike
    K1300R and DRZ400
    Some excellent advice in this thread. I would just like to add that forward observation and planning are even more important when pillion ing given added stresses on the bikes brakes and suspension especially combined with downhill runs into tight stuff.

Here's a vid of me taking a friend out for her first ride. Her enjoyment was the most important part. I stuck to the speed limit, kept smooth and maintained a position on the road that would allo me to look through comers and avoid oncoming traffic etc. pillions don't enjoy close encounters.

Maybe there's some thing useful, hope so.

http://dpil8pjd18z0e.cloudfront.net/...1A74639FC6DCAD

Cheers

Andy

Bike
    speed speed SPEED
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy67 View Post
    Some excellent advice in this post. I would just like to add that forward observation and planning are even more important when pillion ing given added stresses on the bikes brakes and suspension especially combined with downhill runs into tight stuff.

Here's a vid of me taking a friend out for her first ride. Her enjoyment was the most important part. I stuck to the speed limit, kept smooth and maintained a position on the road that would allo me to look through comers and avoid oncoming traffic etc. pillions don't enjoy close encounters.

Maybe there's some thing useful, hope so.

http://dpil8pjd18z0e.cloudfront.net/...1A74639FC6DCAD

Cheers

Andy
    What road s that? It looks tantalisingly familiar....
    It's all Shits and Giggles until someone Giggles and Shits

Bike
    K1300R and DRZ400
    It the run back through Awhitu from the lighthouse towards Waiuku just after the really tight stuff.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    thats not the k1200 is it? sounds like a little twin

Bike
    K1300R and DRZ400
    No mate that's the silky tones of a GS1200 boxer twin, so pretty much on the money. K1200 is quite a bit more fruity with extra sprinkles

Thread Information