Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pillioning. Is it discussed enough?

Bike
    2015 HD Street 500
    All good stuff in this thread
    I have found that the style of bike can make a difference to your personal comfort level when carrying a pillion.
    A lazy vee twin with touque is much more comfortable than a high revving rocket or larger cc'd naked.
    To me a sort bike is for a single rider, 2 up is increasing the odds of an incident.
    But a good tourer of naked can be great if you know the bike well, and can be smooth
    A cruiser, is just the thing for a pillion,
    Pillion carrying for me is relaxed ride, relaxed position, smooth cornering, smooth acceleration, enjoy the road, the destination will arrive when it does.
    Signals are important, and discussion at each stop as to how your pillion felt, was there any moments.
    Some people learn to be good pillions and can be a joy to have behind you.
    Sadly another rider sometimes is the worst person to have, especially on windy roads,
    So know your ride, smooth not fast, listen to your pillions comments between stops makes for enjoyable two up riding
    To be old and wise, first you must be young and stupid.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    My words to the wife before setting out.

" You should be okay on that seat for about an hour. If it gets too sore then I 'can' stop if its that bad."

" We need to get you some proper boots, IF, you're going to be riding, those wont protect your legs much"

" You might want to put something else on, That wont keep out the cold for long"

" Dont lean when I'm cornering, YOU might cause the bike to over balance and we could crash"

" Remember, with your weight on the bike, it makes the bike a lot trickier to handle. I cant steer it as well as when I'm riding by myself "

" Try not to bang your helmet on the back of mine"

" If you feel the suspension bottaming out, with your weight, I cant do anything about it.

" If it rains, you just have to put up with getting wet and cold"

" I'm sorry, but we cant keep stopping because your arse is hurting"

" No, I wont go all that fast"

" No, I dont mind you coming for a ride"

" Well, it's up to you, If you dont really want to come."

" Ok then, I wont be long, See ya shortly"

" Geez! we had a good ride today, You should've come"
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    my advice to potential pillions (female ones) is... No grass, no ass, no ride. Works a treat

Better yet, remove the dorris seat so no extra weight on the back can be carried, which in turn leaves room for knee scratching through the twisties
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I bumped into two couples yesterday gassing up so I wandered over to say haroo. In the course of the conversation the lady pillions both voiced a big dislike of bendy roads. Their trip was all on SH 10 avoiding the interesting detours. One of the ladies commented that all riders (men) should be made to ride pillion, the other claimed to get sick on bendy roads.
    I'm not going to jump to conclusions but this struck me as a little odd. My GF loves getting on the back, well, used too, the more corners the merrier but now she has her own bike.
    Riders not smooth enough, pillions not relaxed? Who knows?
    They both had good bikes for two up, a cruiser & a multistrada.

Bike
    03 Tuono Racing,MotoFXR F4,DT175
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I bumped into two couples yesterday gassing up so I wandered over to say haroo. In the course of the conversation the lady pillions both voiced a big dislike of bendy roads. Their trip was all on SH 10 avoiding the interesting detours. One of the ladies commented that all riders (men) should be made to ride pillion, the other claimed to get sick on bendy roads.
    I'm not going to jump to conclusions but this struck me as a little odd. My GF loves getting on the back, well, used too, the more corners the merrier but now she has her own bike.
    WTF!! Why do those guys bother !!

Real girls ride their own...and I choose to have a single seat & one set of pegs !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeteey View Post
    You're very welcome darling. I do maintain that you could ride a rock and it would go quick!

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Sadly some guys think it's funny to have that effect on their partners. About 5yrs ago I took a girlfriend (didnt become my partner) to a Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Meeting at Stratford.. We went on a ride to Whangamamona, agreed we were all 'giving it some' over the saddle.. the girlfriend was almost 'screaming' in her lid as I was really heaving the FJ around... jokingly I quipped, "it's OK inside your crash helmet, no one can hear you scream" but she knew all she had to do was tap my shoulder to slow me down (pre arranged).. However the group I was in had to stop as one guys partner was actually physically sick from the rapid cornering... This was a cause of great 'mirth and 'pride'? for the husband... who as soon as she got back on continued to go flat out.....
    Now roll that forwards to my partner? You'd be nursing sore kidneys for several weeks!! DAMHIK,, hahaha
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by helenoftroy View Post
    Real girls ride their own
    I know someone that might disagree with that

Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    Now roll that forwards to my partner? You'd be nursing sore kidneys for several weeks!! DAMHIK,, hahaha
    Mine has no issues with giving me 'feedback' on my riding, during and afterwards....

It's not that difficult to have some fun and still make it a nice ride for the one on the back, the only issue I have these days is the bike moving around when she gets the dancy thing going on the back when the mp3 gets to a song she likes
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    03 Tuono Racing,MotoFXR F4,DT175
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    I know someone that might disagree with that

Mine has no issues with giving me 'feedback' on my riding, during and afterwards....

It's not that difficult to have some fun and still make it a nice ride for the one on the back, the only issue I have these days is the bike moving around when she gets the dancy thing going on the back when the mp3 gets to a song she likes
    Haha ! I am just stirring and your gorgus Lou is an exception - shes a groovy chick!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeteey View Post
    You're very welcome darling. I do maintain that you could ride a rock and it would go quick!

Bike
    '13 Repsol Thou'
    I'm not sure if I should say this but if you have a lady (or a guy for all your dirty old bastards out there) and you reach around and find the rear seat and slide your hand back until you find their leg (im really meaning other bits) and give them a lil tickle I hear they like that

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Turns out I was just being a n00b.

Bike
    Trumpy Striple :p
    I found it blimmin tricky pillioning for the first time, after years of riding my own. My cruiser doesn't take the corners like a pocket rocket so going fast and far over in the corners on the back was a hair raising experience until I could get used to it. Plus you have to really trust the rider and leave them to it.. not so easy when you're used to being in control
    I'm still working out how to pillion correctly!

Bike
    K1300R and DRZ400
    I never could get my head around the motion sickness thing until I rode a 1200 GS from Waipu to kaukapakapa a few months back. Something about a tall bike and compliant suspension just got to me through the twisties, very different for sure. To all those that are lucky enough to have a partner who likes to ride or be a pillion then you have something amazing to share. Plenty don't.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy67 View Post
    I never could get my head around the motion sickness thing until I rode a 1200 GS from Waipu to kaukapakapa a few months back. Something about a tall bike and compliant suspension just got to me through the twisties, very different for sure. To all those that are lucky enough to have a partner who likes to ride or be a pillion then you have something amazing to share. Plenty don't.
    This is so, so true. I am having the most biking fun ever, well nearly, now that the missus is on the road. A pleasure shared is a pleasure doubled.

Which brings me to another thing, bikes are exciting so any partners that ride together, pillion or independently, do you ever stop for a quickie in the bushes?

Bike
    K1300R and DRZ400
    This is so, so true. I am having the most biking fun ever, well nearly, now that the missus is on the road. A pleasure shared is a pleasure doubled.

Which brings me to another thing, bikes are exciting so any partners that ride together, pillion or independently, do you ever stop for a quickie in the bushes?
    George you don't need to ride a bike to do that mate....

I worked with a lady whose husband owned a Griso, by all accounts a few hours on that bike sure did the trick

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy67 View Post
    George you don't need to ride a bike to do that mate....

I worked with a lady whose husband owned a Griso, by all accounts a few hours on that bike sure did the trick
    Certain bikes are more appealing to lady pillions than others. A friend rode across Australia on an old Harley with the missus on the back. She got so bored that she put a golf ball into the pillion seat. Reckons it was the best holiday she has ever had but was hell on her knickers.

Bike
    K1300R and DRZ400
    Certain bikes are more appealing to lady pillions than others. A friend rode across Australia on an old Harley with the missus on the back. She got so bored that she put a golf ball into the pillion seat. Reckons it was the best holiday she has ever had but was hell on her knickers.
    Haha!!! I think I just sharted

Thread Information