Thread: Good next bike?

Bike
    VFR

Good next bike?

Heya all!

As the thread states, I'm looking for some opinions on a decent next bike. A bit about me first though I suppose.

A series of car calamities (both my partners and my cars requiring 2k+ to get them wof legal) back in January led me to buying my first bike first week in Feb. Working on an extremely limited budget and with no idea if I'd motorcycling at all we bought a little scorpio for 1500$ (damn good bikes these).

Since then, I've put probably 5-6000 KM on the poor thing. However, I discovered an issue in that I am both too tall (6'2 or so) and way way way too fat (I weigh more then the scorpio does ). I do most of my riding around the Waitakere ranges and sometimes going up a hill I think the poor little bike is going to dump me by the side of the road, feed me the finger and then bugger off.

I've been looking at Suzuki GS500s, something along the lines of http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-462303929.htm

(BTW, is there anything bad that can happen by disuse? I'm guessing the ODO is legit. Is there anything that can be horribly wrong if its not being ridden super regularly aside from a flat batter and maybe needing an oil change?)

It'll be my only form of transport. Which is fine, I love riding my little scorpio even though I reckon most bikers would fall asleep on it .

Anyway, people who know infinitely more then I do Any suggestions out there on something that would be appropriate step up for somebody who still has heaps to learn? I'm a slow ass rider and I'm quite happy with that The only way I'll ever get my knee does is if the rest of me is following in short order

Any advice is well recieved CHeers!

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    its an 08 model, I wouldnt be too concerned about it, just do your due diligence and get anything you are thinking of buying h=checked out before you fork out your hard earned moolah.

What do you like in bikes? have you tried cruisers or prefer sporty bikes, or tourer types?

You could look into a Honda Hornet of either 250, or 600cc varieties, ditto the bandit, mayve a VTR250, or a Hyosung GT250, GT650. GT250R or GT650R.

then theres the Kwak 650 twin - a reasonable bike to be fair, and of course the trusty old SV650.

The SV, and any of the hyosungs can be bought for pretty good prices, and are hard to look past imo if you are after a do everything, everyday bike that you arent going to thrash and race every weekend.

make sure you ride everything you possibly can, you might fall in love with something you hadnt even considered before like a Virago, Shadow, Katana etc etc.

Bike
    VFR
    Cheers mate

Uhm, probably not a cruiser. I'm not sure what it is about them. They've just never been my cup of tea as it were.

Basically a sports tourer I want to say.

Sadly im restricted to essentially the LAMS list. When you apply for and are granted an exemption to the 250cc limit, they send you out a list of approved bikes, or anything that fits into the power/weight ratio (ala LAMS list basically).

Otherwise something along the lines of the sv650 (if I were allowed it). A do everything bike. I'm way more interested in smooth/safe riding the fast riding. It would be a great many years before I looked for anything sportier then that I reckon. I know im not ready for too much power.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Glowerss View Post
    Cheers mate

Uhm, probably not a cruiser. I'm not sure what it is about them. They've just never been my cup of tea as it were.

Basically a sports tourer I want to say.

Sadly im restricted to essentially the LAMS list. When you apply for and are granted an exemption to the 250cc limit, they send you out a list of approved bikes, or anything that fits into the power/weight ratio (ala LAMS list basically).

Otherwise something along the lines of the sv650 (if I were allowed it). A do everything bike. I'm way more interested in smooth/safe riding the fast riding. It would be a great many years before I looked for anything sportier then that I reckon. I know im not ready for too much power.
    If restricted to a LAMs style list...bikes like the GS/EN 500's are still quite small in frame size. There is the 650 savage (cruiser style) or (I owned an XTZ660 tenere') I would give a DR, KL, XT, GS, XTZ(1990's model) 650 a serious look. They are larger framed bikes and have good low down torque and will cruise quite happily at 110kph. If the GS stying appeals, Suzuki did a bike called the Freewind.. basicaly a DR650 with similar 'euro styling' of a BMW GS650. any of those (dr,gs,kl,xtz/xt) bikes have well proven engines that have been in production for over 20yrs and if looked after will provide big milages reliably.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    ...or (I owned an XTZ660 tenere') I would give a DR, KL, XT, GS, XTZ(1990's model) 650 a serious look. They are larger framed bikes and have good low down torque and will cruise quite happily at 110kph. If the GS stying appeals, Suzuki did a bike called the Freewind.. basicaly a DR650 with similar 'euro styling' of a BMW GS650. any of those (dr,gs,kl,xtz/xt) bikes have well proven engines that have been in production for over 20yrs and if looked after will provide big milages reliably.
    They don't have very comfortable seats for the big-of-behinds type, do they?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigadee View Post
    They don't have very comfortable seats for the big-of-behinds type, do they?
    I dont know about the others, the XTZ660 tenere' wasnt too bad,,, but I do admit it was narrow and I didnt do 4-500km rides on it very often. Gel seat pads do improve comfort on those a lot,, and the Freewind has a different seat to the DR650 anyway.
    I am 5ft10 and 105kg... so know these bikes do fit 'bigger guys' reasonably well,, which is the OP's requirement. Seats can be repadded, aftermarket ones (corbin etc) can always be done at a later stage.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Dog Rooter
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    I dont know about the others, the XTZ660 tenere' wasnt too bad,,, but I do admit it was narrow and I didnt do 4-500km rides on it very often. Gel seat pads do improve comfort on those a lot,, and the Freewind has a different seat to the DR650 anyway.
    I am 5ft10 and 105kg... so know these bikes do fit 'bigger guys' reasonably well,, which is the OP's requirement. Seats can be repadded, aftermarket ones (corbin etc) can always be done at a later stage.
    The seat is probably the best thing about the Freewind Good do it all bike with a good motor, IMO, and pretty cheap to pick up. Style is not to everyone's taste, mind you... FWIW, I'm not that tall and find the pegs a bit high on a long ride and the DR650 peg lowering kits don't work on them (DAMHIK).

Chasio

PS The design 'borrowed heavily' from the F650 Funduro, BTW.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by chasio View Post
    The seat is probably the best thing about the Freewind Good do it all bike with a good motor, IMO, and pretty cheap to pick up. Style is not to everyone's taste, mind you... FWIW, I'm not that tall and find the pegs a bit high on a long ride and the DR650 peg lowering kits don't work on them (DAMHIK).

Chasio

PS The design 'borrowed heavily' from the F650 Funduro, BTW.
    wouldnt mind one myself as a commuter... but dont see any down here... and have to sell the Zed to fund it......

Bike
    I think that GS is a great deal and a very good second bike. If it doesn't feel too small when ya sit on it, go for it I say.

It is basically a new bike, do an oil change and get into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Thread Information