Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shirriffs and K Tech?

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by codgyoleracer View Post
    HaHa, mud wrestling in full leathers ?, not quite kinky enough for me........... :-)

If had to be totally honest, - I suspect that one brand may be suited to some tracks than the other & vice-versa......., So to have your cake and eat it and assuming the someone had the time and $ to ascertain the best set up of each brand at each track (I:E enough testing time pre-season at every nationals track + 4 sets of forks / shocks) then Best you retire from your day job - and get on with being a professional motorcycle racer!

Dreams are free Dan ! ........ I wish that was my life too !.................But alas i must earn actual money to keep the wife in the comfortable lifestyle she has become used to (XFR Jaguars included........)

Experience has taught that being a fence sitter requires balance.......however once you fall to one side, your commitment will be final. (for that season at least)
    Glenn, as you know all brands of high end aftermarket shocks can be sprung and valved to suit each track, conditions, tyres and rider style etc. Add in another dynamic of a box of alternative top out springs in varying lengths and rates.
    Whether this gets done is dependent on the interest of the rider in doing so ( in finding an extra tenth here and there ) and the work ethic of the suspension tuner ( or capacity to do so )
    A suspension unit does not exist that can simply have just the external clickers twisted to be the very best it can be for all scenarios. Anyone that markets that is being very economical with the truth. People that have ridden on tracks as diverse as Pukekohe and Teretonga will know that well.
    Its also worth noting that the twin tube low displacement design that Ohlins started with the TTX range ( although twin tube in its crudest form is nothing new ) is being embraced more and more. For example K-Tech with its DDS, Bitubo and now Showa ( Sholins ! )

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    F3 racebike, Ducatis
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony.OK View Post
    Ahhh now I know why you didn't want me in your pit garage in Taupo a few years back..............too many clothes
    Nah, that was because i didnt want anyone in there looking prettier than me ......... (unfortunatley thats the majority of the worlds population) :-)

Bike
    F3 racebike, Ducatis
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Graham View Post
    Bro, a little bird has told me your fence is supercharged now
    You'll recognise one of those then ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06222.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	501.9 KB 
ID:	263362

Bike
    Various things
    Awesome. I had an supercharged XJR for years and loved it. What's that beast go like Mr?

Bike
    F3 racebike, Ducatis
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Awesome. I had an supercharged XJR for years and loved it. What's that beast go like Mr?
    Goes like any 5.0 litre, 32valve, V8, Supercharged vehicle should........... All in surreal silence of course, with just a hint of SC whine :-)

http://youtu.be/fa5ivpJwmIQ

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    No games Wayne, you also witnessed the shameful debacle at Timaru and doubtless that reinforced your similiar lack of respect for the perpetrator of Nicks majorly bad bike setup issues. Realistically anyone should be put off for life.
    some people saw that before timaru, we'll come to you before him thats a promise

Bike
    Various things
    Goes like any 5.0 litre, 32valve, V8, Supercharged vehicle should........... All in surreal silence of course, with just a hint of SC whine :-)

http://youtu.be/fa5ivpJwmIQ
    Sounds awesome! Mine was only the six, but still very nice to drive. Very jealous!!!

Bike
    GSA & WR

Name:	DSC06222.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	501.9 KB 
ID:	263362
    Mmm very nice, I've been to the toy shop too

Name:	New Sport.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	263367

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Graham View Post
    Mmm very nice, I've been to the toy shop too

Name:	New Sport.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	263367
    Vill you idyot colonials neffer learn: zee finest forms hoff conveyance come from zee ozzer side hoff zee ditch! Zoes verdamt Englander "horses" all come from zee Shetland Islands and don't understant zee verd "Schnell!"

Regarding Craig: goodonya mate. Absolutely nothing against you and your great service Robert, 'cos lets face it the Stroud or Bugden/KSS/RCM combo have set the standard in recent memory. But it's that ol' mantra: if you wanna go as fast as everybody else do what they are doing; if you wanna go faster do something different.

Bike
    WR269f, WR450f
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    Vill you idyot colonials neffer learn: zee finest forms hoff conveyance come from zee ozzer side hoff zee ditch! Zoes verdamt Englander "horses" all come from zee Shetland Islands and don't understant zee verd "Schnell!"

Regarding Craig: goodonya mate. Absolutely nothing against you and your great service Robert, 'cos lets face it the Stroud or Bugden/KSS/RCM combo have set the standard in recent memory. But it's that ol' mantra: if you wanna go as fast as everybody else do what they are doing; if you wanna go faster do something different.
    You've changed now ya own that fancy VW mate.............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rt66jackedupvwbug.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	263368  

Bike
    None

Food for thought

Of course Craig and any riders are free to choose any suspension components they like. Theres a number of high quality aftermarket options out there i.e Ohlins, Penske, Race Tech, BiTubo, WP, K-Tech, works Showa and maybe some other stuff on the horizon. Some of the YSS stuff is a good baseline as well and it just needs someone to work with it and the local distributor is enthusiastic to do so. When making a choice of suspension its totally fair to say that its not only about the initial purchase price and perceived performance its also about the level of backup and the capacity to back it up. There are a LOT of boxes to tick.

For our business I am lucky to have Dennis Shaw working with me as he is highly capable and during the last season he was almost totally responsible for Craigs setup help and did an excellent job. KSS is more than about one person and is totally focused on suspension. Indeed at Taupo Craig looked very good, it all clicked for him. Unashamedly I would say that overall we provide the best backup available in NZ. Of course it could be a lot better again but the economic reality means that its just not viable to have more than two suspension technicians running around when also a lot of the work is a complimentary service. But at all times we endeavour to provide the best possible service within severe time constraints. I know at times we get rubbished for having suspension units apart all the time but that is because we are extremely anal about pushing for better and better settings . Our new suspension dyno is assisting no end and more about that in a forthcoming thread. We will help anyone that asks, irrespective of what level of machinery and suspension. We are also proud that our marketing philosophy is based on VALUE and backup, we dont subscribe to in your face hard sell.

At times Im guilty of opening my mouth too far by saying things that are always thought but not dared to be placed in print, that is arguably a ''failing'' and I inherited that from my mother. Maybe also from Shaun Harris! For example bringing it to peoples attention how an industry competitor registered CKT ( our previous trading name ) as a domain name, not technically illegal but certainly falling into a gutter level of ''skulduggery'' . I make no apologies whatsover for having no time for such silly games ,insincerity, hypocrisy, economies with the truth, fantastic but clearly untrue stories or any other human failings.

Its a little perplexing why Craig announced on this forum that he intended to test another suspension brand. I have never had a cross word with him and its a mystery why the phone was not picked up as a courtesy? ''Hey thanks a whole heap for your guys help in assisting me to several championships over the years. Thanks also for opening a door for me at Honda when I didnt have a ride and then again at Suzuki. I may as well tell you that I intend to test another suspension product and Ive been offered an insane price.'' Something in that vein is far nicer than hearing it secondhand from another customer, ''hey have you seen the thread on KB?"

Is any long term component and service provider being unreasonable in expecting such a simple courtesy communication? Or am I just being old fashioned? Im prepared to give Craig the benefit of the doubt as an oversight but I know that many component suppliers would say nothing, but would then unfavourably REMEMBER if the wheel turned again, which it has a habit of doing.

I have vilified Daniel Kempthorne for a couple of things that I take issue with. We did bits and pieces for Daniel over a number of years and then one day he picked up the phone, thanked us for all of our efforts and informed that he was going to use another suspension source. He did that right and all credit to him for that! Candidly he also did us a bit of a favour as we were a little stretched. Its important for all competitors to follow a decent etiquette of communication.

The door is always open and Craig you still owe me that box of red wine!
    Last edited by Robert Taylor; 8th May 2012 at 18:49.

Bike
    suzuki
    I guess you are pissed that Craig wants to try something different? Maybe he should keep his girls at the same school for ever as well.

Bike
    suzuki
    Just a queery Robert, why are you upset with Craig? He isnt contracted to anyone but Jo and his girls. Dont call invoicing manufacturers supported riders "help", it is work.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by suzuki21 View Post
    Just a queery Robert, why are you upset with Craig? He isnt contracted to anyone but Jo and his girls. Dont call invoicing manufacturers supported riders "help", it is work.
    Im only a touch miffed at the manner in which I found out, my post makes that reasonably clear. And in fact it will do our sanity no harm to perhaps have a smaller workload. Yes we have contracts for some distributor ( not manufacturer ) supported riders. But the return from it is very marginal, especially when you take into account downtime from work ( where we could charge out a lot more ) and the fact we also help a LOT of everyday racers as a complimentary service.
    If suspension tuners were charging for every little service ( as happens in the States and parts of Europe ) then practically no-one would be able to afford it, given the largely meagre incomes in this country. Hopefully this makes sense.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Im only a touch miffed at the manner in which I found out, my post makes that reasonably clear. And in fact it will do our sanity no harm to perhaps have a smaller workload. Yes we have contracts for some distributor ( not manufacturer ) supported riders. But the return from it is very marginal, especially when you take into account downtime from work ( where we could charge out a lot more ) and the fact we also help a LOT of everyday racers as a complimentary service.
    If suspension tuners were charging for every little service ( as happens in the States and parts of Europe ) then practically no-one would be able to afford it, given the largely meagre incomes in this country. Hopefully this makes sense.
    Craig would be classed as a customer to Ohlins, his choice is his

Thread Information