Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it too easy to get a race licence?

Bike
    VFR800
    See I'm saving pennies at the moment to start racing. And the bike I can afford will set the race category I enter into. I do feel it's too easy to get into racing for those with money. For me, it's extremely hard to get into it as I need to find the money first. To that extent though, I don't expect to get out there on the first few times and get on the podium. I only plan to get out, start at the back and try to keep up. Once I get up to speed, maybe I'll start trying to over take a few people.

I think it's a requirement of people who obtain a racing licence to have some personal responsibility. Everyone should know their abilities and ride to those, but having not competed I think that's easier said than done. But ultimately, you should know whether you can ride at the pace of the class you are in. If you can't, then take some accountability and move to the back safely. If you are much faster than the people in your class, you should probably be looking at a different class.
    You only need two tools in life:
    Duct tape if it moves and it shouldn't.
    WD-40 if it doesn't move and it should.

Brute force and ignorance always prevails.
    Failure comes from too little brute force, or
    too little ignorance.

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Is it the same in MotoX, pay your money and start in whatever class you want?

What about in car racing?
    I think car racing is pretty loose, my friend and his dad, Paul and David Arrowsmith, have driven formula ford, a rx7 and a couple other random race cars and they just seem to go out and do their thing - they pay for their 1 race license each year like m/cycles and just have to be a member of a car club i think.

could be wrong tho

Bike
    SV 650
    In South Africa all I had to pass was a medical to get a race licence, in the UK I just had to get a licence release from SA and when I raced cars here 3 years ago I had to sit a written test about the rule book. At the pointy end of the car field all was okish, when we had reverse grid races and we started from the back and had to work our way through the field....... absolute MAYHEM!!
    I don't know of a solution as a lot of 'relaxed race craft' comes from experience and time in the saddle and track days help with track knowledge but that's about it.

Bike
    BMW
    Im thinking more along the lines of having an over the phone test of random questions from the rule book would be a good start?

Bike
    triumph scrambler
    Knowing all the theory is great, putting it into practice under the pressure of a race can be a whole different story.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    Should there be some sort of training/testing requirements to get your licence and have the privilege of racing?
    Is the 115% qualifying time rule enforced everywhere across all classes in all of the various series, leaving the dregs and carnage for Clubmans?

I'd expect that to be the solution if it's not already being done.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    I was way more comfortable being surrounded by people who knew what they were doing rather than a bunch of muppets with no idea.
    The problem with that logic is that the muppets are in danger of following it too, and then you end up with high speed differentials in what's supposed to be an elite racing class, and the logic is no longer valid.

Personally, I wouldn't line up on an F1, F2 or F3 grid unless I'd already tested at the track and was within a respectably small margin of the leaders' lap times.

I did a season of Clubmans on the GSX1400 and it was good fun. There were generally a few bins at the back of the field but I found that the guys around me were pretty good.

The problem with the smaller racing classes (buckets, Prolite etc) is, of course, that full-grown gentlemen like us suffer a slight power-to-weight disadvantage to the 45kg kids being brought to the track by adoring parents who've bought them a Ninja 250.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Honda PC800
    I have been advocating for several years that new racers should do at least one structured track day before being allowed to race.
    In the uk and from memory the US you can't just "get " a licence
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    Is the 115% qualifying time rule enforced everywhere across all classes in all of the various series, leaving the dregs and carnage for Clubmans?

I'd expect that to be the solution if it's not already being done.

I don't think there is a 115% rule in the MNZ rule book, I think that is normally covered under supplementary regulations

New riders to wear dayglo as well for several meetings regardless of class
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    The problem with that logic is that the muppets are in danger of following it too, and then you end up with high speed differentials in what's supposed to be an elite racing class, and the logic is no longer valid.
    Exactly the problem. People who don't know what they're doing on bikes they have no hope of mastering getting themselves in over their heads and being a danger to everyone.

It's more and more difficult to get a licence for pretty much everything except bike racing, which, ironically enough, is one of the more dangerous motorized past times you can get into.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Honda CBR600RR9
    Should be mandatory to at least know the flags and associated proceedures...... at the very very least.

Bike
    2008 GSX750F
    Quote Originally Posted by Maido View Post
    Should be mandatory to at least know the flags and associated proceedures...... at the very very least.
    If we have any new riders at a PMCC meeting, the flags and procedures are covered with them. And they are required to wear a hi-viz if it is their first ever meeting.

Yes I agree it is too easy to get a race licence and this should be tightened up. Just putting up the price is not the answer, potential racers should have to do a theory test, and attend at least 2 specific training days before the gain a race licence.

Also its about continuing education at club meetings, of which PMCC do if any rider is seen doing something that is dangerous or just outright stupid.
    If you can't be good, be good at it
    Live is too short, live it to the fullest

Bike
    still counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Maido View Post
    Well thats more than half the front end of the field gone then ..........

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarnz View Post
    And they are required to wear a hi-viz if it is their first ever meeting.
    For how many meetings or just their first?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1989 Honda NC30
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    I have been advocating for several years that new racers should do at least one structured track day before being allowed to race.
    In the uk and from memory the US you can't just "get " a licence
    UK also has a tiered license structure. The first license after you have done the ACU course is a novice license which means you have to wear a hi-viz vest. You can only get it upgraded to a Clubman licence (and lose the vest) once you have done 10 race meetings at at least 3 different race tracks. I think after that there is a National licence which enables you to complete at BSB, BSS level, but am not sure of the requirements.
    #24 1989 Honda NC30

Thread Information