Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it too easy to get a race licence?

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Dont worry MNZ are onto it, they realised that licences are too easy to get so they making them 25% harder to get this year, last year they cost 145.00 this year they are 200.00.

Clever buggers eh !
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Personally, I think Gran Turismo 5 goes about it the right way.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    NSR300 F3, ME BUCKET
    When I was looking at moving to the US I was going to race a 600SS. I contacted the local club and they were very strict on what class I could run under. To get a license I would have to attend a training track day and then only compete in the newbee class until lap times were acceptable and I had completed a minimum of 3 beginner races. Also to move up I would need to be observed on track buy a training dude. I asked if I could transfer my MNZ license and they sort of laughed and said lets just see when you get here. That was in Oregon.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    It's too easy to do whatever you want at the track, I doubt tougher licencing will make any fucken difference!

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    What is the actual problem here?

1. Complete n00bs turning up on racing grids and treating it as a learning experience, or

2. Guys who've conscientiously done a bunch of trackdays and stuff first, but who are just too slow and shouldn't be there?
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Dont worry MNZ are onto it, they realised that licences are too easy to get so they making them 25% harder to get this year, last year they cost 145.00 this year they are 200.00.

Clever buggers eh !
    really? fuck that sucks.. when do u have to buy new one, june/july?

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by richban View Post
    When I was looking at moving to the US I was going to race a 600SS. I contacted the local club and they were very strict on what class I could run under. To get a license I would have to attend a training track day and then only compete in the newbee class until lap times were acceptable and I had completed a minimum of 3 beginner races. Also to move up I would need to be observed on track buy a training dude. I asked if I could transfer my MNZ license and they sort of laughed and said lets just see when you get here. That was in Oregon.
    When I went to Aus they made me start out in D grade despite having won a national championship here. I had no issue with that. You had to win two races before you could move to C grade, where you could compete at national level.

Bike
    a shed full of crazy shit
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    What is the actual problem here?

1. Complete n00bs turning up on racing grids and treating it as a learning experience, or

2. Guys who've conscientiously done a bunch of trackdays and stuff first, but who are just too slow and shouldn't be there?
    Neither.
    Its the system and lack of realisation by riders (especially new riders or returning riders) that despite how well you think you can ride; there is just so much more to it (Racecraft & mental race fitness, it takes time).

There has been a number conversations regarding training, approval etc (it seems to be working well at the younger end; but failing for the older riders) and it all costs money; track hirage, support staff and people time to do so.

MNZ $$ this year (makes it rather expensive for the two/three times a year use); where's the justification in that? I assume its to cover http://www.motorcyclingnz.co.nz/news...rticleID=38336

Bike
    2008 GSX750F
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post

Clever buggers eh !
    But they are only putting up the price, not doing any training to go with it.
    Last edited by oscarnz; 6th May 2012 at 19:42. Reason: spelling
    If you can't be good, be good at it
    Live is too short, live it to the fullest

Bike
    2008 GSX750F
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    For how many meetings or just their first?
    Depending on the club. From what I understand it is for the first 3 meetings.

But today at Manfeild, there was a young rider who has raced in prolite/mini-lite class on a 250 ninja, at national level, who today was on a 125cc bike in a different class for the first time and he wore a hi-viz, unsure if this was advised by the club or by choice as I was only watching today.
    If you can't be good, be good at it
    Live is too short, live it to the fullest

Bike
    all sorts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarnz View Post
    Depending on the club. From what I understand it is for the first 3 meetings.

But today at Manfeild, there was a young rider who has raced in prolite/mini-lite class on a 250 ninja, at national level, who today was on a 125cc bike in a different class for the first time and he wore a hi-viz, unsure if this was advised by the club or by choice as I was only watching today.
    Said rider was riding the 125 under age dispensation from MNZ and wearing a high vis vest is part of the requirements.

Bike
    all sorts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Neither.
    Its the system and lack of realisation by riders (especially new riders or returning riders) that despite how well you think you can ride; there is just so much more to it (Racecraft & mental race fitness, it takes time).

There has been a number conversations regarding training, approval etc (it seems to be working well at the younger end; but failing for the older riders) and it all costs money; track hirage, support staff and people time to do so.

MNZ $$ this year (makes it rather expensive for the two/three times a year use); where's the justification in that? I assume its to cover http://www.motorcyclingnz.co.nz/news...rticleID=38336
    Lets get the facts right, a club licence which for people who are not doing nationals or street meets is proposed at $100 which is cheaper than the current one. It is the full licence for national or Island events and street racing that is $200.

Cheaper for infrequent users at club level, more expensive for National level riders. May help keep some of the under experienced riders from attending street meetings...

Read the document.

So we are listening re some ideas for how we manage licences, so do we test all the current licence holders or just new ones? How do we ensure that those already holding a racing licence know the rules, are not muppets etc?

Put a proposal together and send it in. Be part of the solution.

Kevin Goddard

Bike
    2011 yz450f
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I dunno about MX or car racing but drag racing requires different licences for different brackets.

nah mx the same mini tt nats had no dirt logs in mnz licence entered mx1 straight away no questions
    Blindspott are back as Blacklist check them out
    www.blacklistmusicnz.co.nz

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    I was talking to a top racer yesterday and he made a good point about how easy it is to get a race licence and start racing.

Technically my wife that cant ride a motorcycle could pay some money get a licence then turn up and race a superbike in the nationals but she is not even allowed to ride my scooter on the road.....

Should there be some sort of training/testing requirements to get your licence and have the privilege of racing?
    You've edited that alot since I first read it. How did Tommy get his licence? Seemed to me that he rode that in there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0pC1DB_mQO8 First turns crashs happen. I know Ive had a few re-starts and national level riders out there(you get that racing at a national).

Re licence price increase - submitted my thoughts.

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin G View Post
    Lets get the facts right, a club licence which for people who are not doing nationals or street meets is proposed at $100 which is cheaper than the current one. It is the full licence for national or Island events and street racing that is $200.

Put a proposal together and send it in. Be part of the solution.

Kevin Goddard
    So a club rider who does not do Nats (no buckets or classics at nats) has to pay extra 100 bucks to do greymouth and methven why not leave it at 150 and charge Nats riders the extra 50.

thats my part of the solution
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Thread Information