Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it too easy to get a race licence?

Bike
    BMW

Is it too easy to get a race licence?

I was talking to a top racer yesterday and he made a good point about how easy it is to get a race licence and start racing.

Technically my wife that cant ride a motorcycle could pay some money get a licence then turn up and race a superbike in the nationals but she is not even allowed to ride my scooter on the road.....

Should there be some sort of training/testing requirements to get your licence and have the privilege of racing?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    Should there be some sort of training/testing requirements to get your licence and have the privilege of racing?
    Definitely, when I raced Karts to get each licence upgrade for Island or National competition you had to be observed at meetings by the stewards and do a small written test to advance each level

Also the requirement for 3 meetings before you do a National event or Street circuit needs looking at as currently I could do three meetings on my Bucket and then jump straight on a Superbike at Wangas, the meetings should have to be in the class you will race in
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    A Red German one.
    Absolutely.

I am a road rider only, apart from a few track days, and I am shocked, and had no idea that there is no such standard.

It seems abnormal, that anyone can pay to race bikes, no matter what there experience level is.

"No matter what bike you ride. It's all the same wind in your face"

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...some sort of proficiency test should be a requirement...i know it is always on the back of my mind when we are doing a membership drive/ promoting racing to new people...we tell them, 'all you need is the gear and a licence and club membership'... ok if they are just going to tootle round with the F4 class or ride a CB 250RS in pre 72/82...but these days its not uncommon to get queries from riders never having been on a track, wishing to 'race' their 675 or their 600s...

...the mooted price rises and changes to the licencing structures being bandied about by MNZ at the moment may put a few new riders off before they even get there...

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    To answer your question Choppa, yes it obviously is too easy to get a race licence.

Imagine how fucking awesome our road racing talent would be, if everyone had to prgress through the ranks from Pro-lite, to Pro-twin, then be able to move to F3 or F2/Superstock, before joining the big fellas. We'd be churning out talented riders rather than dickheads with cheque books and fast bikes.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    To answer your question Choppa, yes it obviously is too easy to get a race licence.

Imagine how fucking awesome our road racing talent would be, if everyone had to prgress through the ranks from Pro-lite, to Pro-twin, then be able to move to F3 or F2/Superstock, before joining the big fellas. We'd be churning out talented riders rather than dickheads with cheque books and fast bikes.
    Then finally to 883's. Only the best of the best got to race them! On a serious note...it is way too fucking easy to go road racing.

Bike
    07 fz6n. 07cbarrrr600
    Blog Entries
    Yes. Far too easy.

It seems ludicrous you have to go through around 2 years of limited conditions, while driving on the road. You have to pass a basic handling test to even be allowed to sit your motorcycle learners.

Yet you can pay your fees and ride at (potentially) 3x the open road speed limit millimeters away from others on a track.
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    Fkn crack up. Most awkward interviewee ever i reckon haha.

Bike
    BSA A10
    before joining the big fellas.
    Obviously you mean Buckets?

What do other countries do with race licencing? Do they enforce a progression through the ranks?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    I recall the system in Australia 1970 had grading of D and even E ! Don't know what it's like nowdays ?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Is it the same in MotoX, pay your money and start in whatever class you want?

What about in car racing?

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    I'm one who bypassed any sort of learners process (not that there is an actual process) and went straight to a serious racing class.

The main reason for that was that the Clubmans class scares me. It's full of guys who are over-gunned and under-skilled, they have no race-craft, have never been subjected to the pressures of a race start before and have only ever ridden track days. Having done lots of track days (I worked for a track day company) I got to see a hell of a lot of shit that'd score a punch in the face in the pits afterwards if it was a race. It was bad enough trying to dodgy people at a track day let alone in a race situation.

Not to mention how many of them don't see the flags at all.

I was way more comfortable being surrounded by people who knew what they were doing rather than a bunch of muppets with no idea.

There should definitely be a limit on what people can race. Start everyone off on a 250 proddy for their first ten race meetings or something.

Having said that, it's often hard enough to get the minimum numbers for many classes as it is, putting limits on newbies will make that more difficult.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Is it the same in MotoX, pay your money and start in whatever class you want?

What about in car racing?
    I dunno about MX or car racing but drag racing requires different licences for different brackets.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    triumph scrambler
    As a 50's total newb who has done 3 meetings in the post classic class of NZCMRR I'd have to say it is probably all too easy to get in way over your head. Fill out the form get your licence & away you go.
    My first meeting was the Puke classic festival where I got inhaled by the fast guys, scary , very scary for a newb & very easy to make a mistake that could hurt all involved seriously. Couple of meetings on & I'm starting to get the hang of it.
    I don't know how the rest of the racing world works but I think it would be invaluable for newbs to assign them a 'go to guy' , not to mother them, but someone who can answer questions & help the inexperienced to avoid making mistakes, someone who makes sure they understand track etiquette , srutineering requirements, flags etc.
    Going in green at the deep end is probably all too easy at present. I'd rather a mentoring approach than rule changes but I fully accept that may not be practical in regular road racing. The ART days run by the AMC seem to be a good starting point as well

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    I was talking to a top racer yesterday and he made a good point about how easy it is to get a race licence and start racing.

Cant have been Craig you spoke to then. Anyway I agree in some respect, but someone who dosnt use their brain on a 1000 also dosnt use their brain on a 50. Even grading wont stop a retard being a retard. How many times during the winter have we seen people go straight from a race line (I use the term loosely as peoples idea of race line is anywhere on the track) suddenly veer of into the pits.

Bike
    Windle, MoBuilt, Fireblade, RS250, FZR4
    lol...

jeez, if someone starts the next thread about it being too easy to get laid then I'm off..

I'm glad its easy to go racing here or I wouldn't be able to do it ever and then I'd have to do it on the road at night time in the middle of no where..

Thread Information