Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Comment on Commis corner

Bike
    WR269f, WR450f
    Well of the 20 ppl that did my online quiz it seems a good proportion don't read the rules.

What does a YELLOW flag mean when held Stationary? (this one IMO needs clarification, possibly updating for different circumstances)

a-Slow down, proceed with caution, no overtaking until danger is passed--------14=70%
    b-Carry on but use caution----------------------------------------------------6= 30%
    c-Only overtake if track is clear----------------------------------------------- 0= 0%
    d-Slow down and return to pit area--------------------------------------------0= 0%
    The answer in MNZ rules is "A"

What chapter will you find the FLAG rules in the online MNZ rules?

4...............1==5%
    8...............2==10%
    6...............11=55%
    2...............5==25%
    This answer is "6"..............so either ppl arent answering properly or alot are guessing

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    So if the lead rider gets to a pack of back markers as the yellow comes out he can pass them and speed of at his safe pace while his competitors have to wait? Opens the door for a protest there...
    IF the yellow comes out at more-or-less the moment a faster bike reaches a slower one/s, then it is understood that the faster bike is likely to 'coast' past.
    IF the faster bike is still under open throttle, it might be looked at differently.
    IF the yellow is already out before the slow/fast bikes reach it, and MrFast sails on past the slow bike/s, then Race Control WILL be informed.
    As for gaining an advantage over his nearest competitors...luck of proximity and speed differential/s when the yellow comes out. As they say - "That's racing"...
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    IF the yellow comes out at more-or-less the moment a faster bike reaches a slower one/s, then it is understood that the faster bike is likely to 'coast' past.
    IF the faster bike is still under open throttle, it might be looked at differently.
    IF the yellow is already out before the slow/fast bikes reach it, and MrFast sails on past the slow bike/s, then Race Control WILL be informed.
    As for gaining an advantage over his nearest competitors...luck of proximity and speed differential/s when the yellow comes out. As they say - "That's racing"...
    It still doesnt address the safety issue of a pack of riders that have to slow down to the speed of slowing lapped riders in a race situation. The leaders slowing down for a stationary yellow flag is still faster than a back markers full race speed so it is completely safe for them to pass.

What is the penalty for passing under a yellow? If I loose 5 places for slowing under a yellow does everyone get disqualified?

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    It still doesnt address the safety issue of a pack of riders that have to slow down to the speed of slowing lapped riders in a race situation. The leaders slowing down for a stationary yellow flag is still faster than a back markers full race speed so it is completely safe for them to pass.

What is the penalty for passing under a yellow? If I loose 5 places for slowing under a yellow does everyone get disqualified?
    if they pass you on a yellow they should at least get relegated, if not disqualified,

Bike
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    if they pass you on a yellow they should at least get relegated, if not disqualified,
    Makes it a bit hard if you go from 1st to 5th. Do they get relagated behind you? If 5 riders pass me under yellow so im 6th then I drop to 7th during the race does that mean I then get 2nd?

I have never seen anyone follow a lapped rider through an entire yellow section in my 20 years of racing

Bike
    gsxr1000
    Blog Entries

Ask Stoudy! it cost him the Nationals I think in 05. It was so obvious when he done it lol problem was Manfeild track in there wisdom had cones for the flag areas and he knew the yellow was out at higgins so made sure he passed big T rees before the cone.
    I protested Storudy at Paeroa in for passing a back marker under yellows and I won the protest and they fined him $30 lol. Waste of fucken time

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy

I'm just telling you what is. I don't know or apply the penalties or anything else.
    The rules are what they are, they apply to everyone, and are there for safety.
    Like all rules, sometimes while fixing one problem, they may create another. I would presume that if the 'new' problem is big enough, then some change to that rule may be looked at.

Rest assured, if I put the yellow flag out just as you're about to pass someone, then I for one won't ping you for doing just that. In fact, the chances are that I won't even see it happen - since I'll still be looking at the reason for the yellow, and have my back to you. But if my yellow is out and you're back near the previous flag point and then pass on my patch - then all bets are off.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by gixerracer View Post
    Ask Stoudy! it cost him the Nationals I think in 05. It was so obvious when he done it lol problem was Manfeild track in there wisdom had cones for the flag areas and he knew the yellow was out at higgins so made sure he passed big T rees before the cone.
    I protested Storudy at Paeroa in for passing a back marker under yellows and I won the protest and they fined him $30 lol. Waste of fucken time
    i remember that he got penalised for it at the endurance race at pukekohe around that time as well, i think it was a 30 sec penalty when he had a 40 sec lead,

I think the problem has been with enforcement, not so much the rule itself, fineing people is not the way to go imo, for passing under a yellow it should be at least 2 postions in the race, and if it is a second or third offense in a year then even more,

as for Choppa's first comment about being able to pass lappers under a staionary yellow, if a lead pack comes up on a lapper and the first guy passes then the person in second is going to want to pass him as well and so on to the whole group, and that i think would be as bad as everybody trying to stop,

Bike
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by gixerracer View Post
    If he passed before the yellow flag then he shouldnt have got penalised....

Bike
    BMW
    i remember that he got penalised for it at the endurance race at pukekohe around that time as well, i think it was a 30 sec penalty when he had a 40 sec lead,

I think the problem has been with enforcement, not so much the rule itself, fineing people is not the way to go imo, for passing under a yellow it should be at least 2 postions in the race, and if it is a second or third offense in a year then even more,

as for Choppa's first comment about being able to pass lappers under a staionary yellow, if a lead pack comes up on a lapper and the first guy passes then the person in second is going to want to pass him as well and so on to the whole group, and that i think would be as bad as everybody trying to stop,
    Have you seen that happen Scotty? We both know how it goes... Can you imagine BT follwing someone he is lapping by about lap 4 through an entire yellow flag section from point to point. It aint gonna happen.

Bike
    BMW
    What about the sighting lap surely it wouldnt be hard for the marshalls to hold out their blue flags instead of the yellows?

Bike
    gsxr1000
    Blog Entries
    If he passed before the yellow flag then he shouldnt have got penalised....
    I disagree, at the National round it was clear that Tony (the race leader) slowed down for the yellow flag situation ahead (correct thing to do yea?) as if he braked at his marker aprox where the cone is he would have approached the accident area at maximum racing speed for that corner and would be unable to take the nessecary actions if needed.
    And at Paeroa he was just a dick

Bike
    1989 Honda NC30
    One other safety aspect thing which I saw at the VMCC rnd 1 in Posties and probably needs mentioning to riders... When you come into the pits during qualifying or a race (before the end)- stay OFF the racing line!

There were a group of riders who were coming into Dunlop and decided not take the checkered flag for the end of practice/qualifying and come into the pits instead. About 2-3 of us stuck to the outside of the track in Dunlop, but one guy rode round, in the middle of the track with 1 arm up doing about 50kph. If anyone had still been on a hot lap and entered that corner, they would have had to taken evasive action to avoid the slow rider. It should really be re-iterated that if you aren't riding at pace on a hot track, then stay off the racing line.
    #24 1989 Honda NC30

Bike
    BMW

I would completely agree its enforcement Scotty. I know the rules but I know damn well that if the person in front of me passes the lapper under yellow then he is going to fuck off into the distance while the 3 guys that are right up my ass will prob pass me and the lapper and where am I left in all this without any enforcement of the rules

Bike
    I would completely agree its enforcement Scotty. I know the rules but I know damn well that if the person in front of me passes the lapper under yellow then he is going to fuck off into the distance while the 3 guys that are right up my ass will prob pass me and the lapper and where am I left in all this without any enforcement of the rules
    if it does happen, and the leader gets a two position penalty, and it is known to the riders, i bet you would sit behind the guy and everyone would sit behind you,

I know at Puke MX when i am the steward i have penalised riders for going to fast though yellows and red cross flags, (Incl some of NZ's top riders) after it was known ill penalise anyone who does it I had very few problems, but I did have people complaining about other tracks let it happen, my response was i can not change what they do,

Thread Information