Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Comment on Commis corner

Bike
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by gixerracer View Post
    I disagree, at the National round it was clear that Tony (the race leader) slowed down for the yellow flag situation ahead (correct thing to do yea?) as if he braked at his marker aprox where the cone is he would have approached the accident area at maximum racing speed for that corner and would be unable to take the nessecary actions if needed.
    And at Paeroa he was just a dick
    haha maybe he is just focused! He did it at Manfeild at the last Tri Series too lol

Quote Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
    One other safety aspect thing which I saw at the VMCC rnd 1 in Posties and probably needs mentioning to riders... When you come into the pits during qualifying or a race (before the end)- stay OFF the racing line!

There were a group of riders who were coming into Dunlop and decided not take the checkered flag for the end of practice/qualifying and come into the pits instead. About 2-3 of us stuck to the outside of the track in Dunlop, but one guy rode round, in the middle of the track with 1 arm up doing about 50kph. If anyone had still been on a hot lap and entered that corner, they would have had to taken evasive action to avoid the slow rider. It should really be re-iterated that if you aren't riding at pace on a hot track, then stay off the racing line.
    Yeah that is a real shocker. You should enter the final turn completely on the left hand side and ride right around the outside of the final corner. I almost been taken out there. Im sure most people have and it shouldnt happen I loose it when someone does that

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    What about the sighting lap surely it wouldnt be hard for the marshalls to hold out their blue flags instead of the yellows?
    dead right, get that one away to mnz so it can be discussed at the conference at the weekend choppa, I cringed when I saw a first lap crash at Paeroa and the following riders had no idea, luck saved the day there, no other reason

Bike
    1989 Honda NC30
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    dead right, get that one away to mnz so it can be discussed at the conference at the weekend choppa, I cringed when I saw a first lap crash at Paeroa and the following riders had no idea, luck saved the day there, no other reason
    TBH, I like the idea of having green flags at marshall points. I have mentioned this before as they run that system in the UK. They use them at the first clear marshall point after an incident and are taken as a signal that the track is clear and it is save to resume racing. You could apply the same logic on sighting laps i.e Here is a marshall point, and the track is safe and clear. Problem with using blue flags is they then have 2 meanings depending on the situation e.g sighting lap or racing. For clarity, flags should have a single meaning.
    #24 1989 Honda NC30

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
    TBH, I like the idea of having green flags at marshall points. I have mentioned this before as they run that system in the UK. They use them at the first clear marshall point after an incident and are taken as a signal that the track is clear and it is save to resume racing. You could apply the same logic on sighting laps i.e Here is a marshall point, and the track is safe and clear. Problem with using blue flags is they then have 2 meanings depending on the situation e.g sighting lap or racing. For clarity, flags should have a single meaning.
    +1
    Does take good communication between race control and marshalls.
    Europe now using lights controlled by race control in most cases..... Ruapuna is looking at this light system.

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    Hmmm....interesting thoughts.
    From what I often see, 30% of the time riders don't know what the flags mean, 30% of the time they don't see them, and 30% of the time they ignore them. That leaves 10% of the time where they heed what the poor flaggie is trying to tell them...and then they come and complain to the starter "because you left that flag out too long!"
    What's a poor girl to do!

An awful lot of the thoughts on here are actually covered in your riders briefing anyway, it is up to you guys to listen and take notice, rather than chat to your mate making it difficult for others to hear and nigh on impossible for you to hear.

Those calling for harsher penalties will be singing a different tune when they are the ones in receipt of them. Whilst we all want a race meeting to be as safe as possible, you really don't want a Nazi run race meeting, do you?
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Sighting lap, was it?
    As YT says above, use of flags is covered at rider's briefing (at least it is at Vic and Pac meets) so there is no excuse for not knowing what a stationary or waved yellow means.
    Perhaps racers need to spend a day every season doing flag marshal duty. If nothing else, they will understand why certain calls are made
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    I know its a pain in the arse when you are stuck behind a slow rider that first lap of practice/qualifying. I've sort of used a common sense approach to overtaking, ie entering a straight when safe, note: well before the end of the straight/corner. As said earlier most marshals will call it in if they believe it was an inappropriate manouver.

I think a lot of the time SOME racers aren't even looking for flags.

I've been in races that have been red-flagged and a rider in front of me rode through 2 reds and didn't notice, even when we got back to the pits he didn't know why everyone had pulled off. Admittedly it was a few years ago at a junior level (ie streetstock), but just an example of what i have seen. Perhaps our Junior Riders/License applicants should have to do a written course before obtaining a license. I think there is very little time spent on actually learning the rules and understanding them because naturally we all focus on getting out there and going faster.

That said almost everyone knows the machine specification rules inside out don't they?

Bike
    tedium
    Quote Originally Posted by wharfy View Post
    Yeah that is a real shocker. You should enter the final turn completely on the left hand side and ride right around the outside of the final corner. I almost been taken out there. Im sure most people have and it shouldnt happen I loose it when someone does that
    At Mansfield, that should be repeated in riders briefing. Very fast sweeper so tremendous speed difference. I think it's because many riders tend to tip in early and hug the inside line, so when they are on their exit lap they genuinely think that by being in the middle of that corner that they're off the racing line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickha
    Fuck off, cheese has no place in pies
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle
    i would could and can, put a fat fuck down with a bit of brass.

Bike
    still counting
    There just needs to be a harder line....... In ozzy they are so strict. If you dont do something right your not racing.
    Hmmmmmm, wonder how the UberStrict Aussies would handle competitors who deliberately fit "mufflers" they KNOW are too loud, and throw a tanty when they get fronted about it ? Cant be stricter AND more relaxed ............

Bike
    still counting
    Probably the only sensible use for a Blue Flag .........

Bike
    still counting
    Quote Originally Posted by speights_bud View Post
    that said almost everyone knows the machine specification rules inside out don't they?
    no .........

Bike
    gsxr1000
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by budda View Post
    Hmmmmmm, wonder how the UberStrict Aussies would handle competitors who deliberately fit "mufflers" they KNOW are too loud, and throw a tanty when they get fronted about it ? Cant be stricter AND more relaxed ............
    Yet another uninformed comment for a noddy that should no better. Think you will find most of us run the same sytems as the bikes in OZ as kowing they are over the limit as YOU claim how the F k would we know since we dont have our own measuring devices and they hadnt mentioned noise at any meeting in the last god knows how many seasons???

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    It still doesnt address the safety issue of a pack of riders that have to slow down to the speed of slowing lapped riders in a race situation. The leaders slowing down for a stationary yellow flag is still faster than a back markers full race speed so it is completely safe for them to pass.

What is the penalty for passing under a yellow? If I loose 5 places for slowing under a yellow does everyone get disqualified?
    Chop.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. There is no differentiation in the rule book between passing a lapped rider or someone you are racing with for for a very good reason. It is all to do with safety of all concerned and while you are trying to pass any other bike, you are less likely to see the flag marshall on the track, the broken down bike, the bit that may have come loose and being on the track or close to....

Bike
    still counting
    Quote Originally Posted by gixerracer View Post
    Yet another uninformed comment for a noddy that should no better. Think you will find most of us run the same sytems as the bikes in OZ as kowing they are over the limit as YOU claim how the F k would we know since we dont have our own measuring devices and they hadnt mentioned noise at any meeting in the last god knows how many seasons???
    Sorry BigEars, didnt realise I had my DocT mask on ........ only as uninformed as all the rest that were actually there. Maybe you didnt see me 'cos the frillybits on your tutu obscured the view. The systems you run are generally legal out of the box, but as HD showed, when they've had a few thousland cubic feet of hot gas through them ALL, the ability to dampen the decibels tapers off.

Lets all agree that HD showed just how tenuous the legality of used and not repacked, even top shelf mufflers are, when climatic conditions turn to less than ideal .... my pitiful attempt at levity was meant to point out the silliness of asking for hard enforcement of rules, "like in Ozzie", when THEY would have put most of your field off the track as the readings were over the limit - the same limit thats been in place for years. The guilty know who they are ......

Bike
    A fast one
    I think a lot of the time SOME racers aren't even looking for flags.

Maybe a test should be mark the flag points on track map..................... see how many are looking then eh.

Thread Information